digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   Finding a UK power supply for TBC-3000 (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/8238-finding-uk-power.html)

Master Tape 09-30-2017 07:21 PM

Finding a UK power supply for TBC-3000

I have a Datavideo TBC-3000 with no power supply, so obviously need one! At the back it says above the power socket "DC IN 9V 10W" so i need to find one that matches that. One of those 3-pin UK plugs, as i'm based there.

I just want to make sure i get the right type of plug, as i paid alot of money for it, and don't want to mess it up!

I've been looking on ebay, would this one be suitable enough? As it's the cheapest one i could find that also states the wattage.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-SUPP...l/391793026466

jwillis84 09-30-2017 11:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Its just my opinion, but I would (never) buy a Pwr Supply (used).. I've had stuff kill my stuff when I got it and found the internal leads shorted or fused.

Mouser and Digikey carry a full line of wall adapters and you can filter by many variables.. its dizzyingly flexible.

That said.. I do buy power supplies off eBay (of a particular brand) and now test them with a multimeter for voltage before using them.

As for brand.. I only trust PhiPhong now. They have been making wall adapters for years and obviously are first to market with new technologies far in advanced of other companies. Many companies for many years (20+) have sourced them.

[see: PhiPhong photo below]

Sometimes I think the cost doesn't matter or stray.. but I always come back to that brand.. its safe, stable, and they make every kind you can imagine.

Imagine my surprise when I got an ATI TV Wonder USB2.0n and it had an offbrand, unknown manufacturer power supply.. which eventually I found was underpowered and just did not work!

I got another ATI TV Wonder USB2.0n and it came with a PhiPhong power supply.

Later I discovered in the ATI HD Wonder 650 users manual the offset and gray background [WARNING: Make sure you use the PhiPhong XYZ... power supply supplied with your device!] They were deadly serious about quality and stability.

Another nice (benefit) to PhiPhong is their adapters consistently are hard shelled, tough and are the smallest possible in size to do the job. That hard shell will dissipate a lot of heat if it needs to without melting the adapter. And they have a really nice mechanism for switchable modules for International adapter pins.. its a soft button press to remove the pins that come on it, and slide in a new set of pins. Since most are universal switch supplies they tend to run the gamut of possible input voltages and produce the same output voltage required.

[see: PhiPhong2 photo below]

They have an [excellent] documentation label, with extreme detail on inputs, outputs, capacity, polarity of the plug in universal symbols.. no one else does this.. they are outstanding with these labels.

The power cables are re-enforced at their attachment points to the adapter and the cable connector.

[.. a littl background story.. years ago] when I first ran across my"first" PhiPhong I thought it unnecessarily complex and "adaptable" it just came with so many options and was a tad heavy, wide and .. well I didn't know what I was expecting but.. since I didn't know any better.. I looked for wall adapters (mains adapters) that suited my creature comforts.. slim, right angled.. left room for other plugs or wall adapters in a power strip.. gosh.. was I stupid..

Eventually over time I've learned every single "feature" or extra PhiPhong built into their adapters had a purpose.. and was eventually very useful in a crisis situation.

They are competitive in price, but Not the cheapest.. and thats a difficult balancing act to do.. they (might) make some bad apples.. and I'll probably regret recommending them someday.. but they have been a really good training ground for me.

Now all of (that) said.. always check the voltage of your adapter.. and Especially the (Polarity) of your DC plug.. reversing it by accident [may] kill your device.. or it [may] survive.. but its a darn sure way to Whallop it good.. and possibly damage it.. check.. check.. check.. protect your gear, that's your job.. not theirs.

.. an lastly, the PhiPhongs look like black turtles.. I've come to respect they aren't the prettiest things in the world and need their space.. they don't play well with other adapters near by or leave space for other types of plugs around them.. but now its an ugly.. I've come to accept and even (like).. other wall critters just scare me.

Master Tape 10-01-2017 01:04 PM

Ah thanks for all that info! :) I agree, i wouldn't buy a used power supply either (unless it was the only way to obtain it)

Great, i've found a Phihong model with the exact volts and wattage i need.
https://www.headingpower.com/showpro...dapter-phihong

By reversing polarity, do you mean not getting the watts and the voltage the wrong way round (For example if i were to buy a 9w 10v device)?

jwillis84 10-02-2017 01:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Tape (Post 51081)

By reversing polarity, do you mean not getting the watts and the voltage the wrong way round (For example if i were to buy a 9w 10v device)?

No, I mean.. don't get + and - mixed up

That advertisement has this "centre positive" make sure your device expects the + voltage polarity in the center, I do not have a TBC-3000 (but I do have a TBC-1000 and it expects center positive there is a little symbol underneath the connector socket on the back of my device.. I have no way of knowing if the TBC-3000 is the same.. check, check, check).

The connector plug can have either coming from the center or the collar ring. Its easy to forget to check it and send electrons the wrong way through your device.

Generally "good" electronics have a diode input set to prevent it from happening, but they still generate a little heat and can blow like fuses if left plugged in the wrong way too long. (IF) they even bothered to try and protect the circuit at all.. it costs them money.. low margin devices don't have the protection and will fry the device.

The PhiPhong will have a little International symbol for polarity with -, + symbols look at the PhiPhong label on the adapter when you get it and look at the one that should be on the back of your TBC-3000 and make sure they match. They should be the same. (IF in doubt, don't risk it.. get someone else to double check for you.)

You can see the symbol in the following photos, but its switched around make sure they match is a relative term, make sure they make sense.. might be better.

Attachment 7940

Attachment 7941

jwillis84 10-02-2017 07:45 AM

Lol.. all this time I thought it was PhiPhong.. and just noticed its PhiHong.

Master Tape 10-02-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwillis84 (Post 51084)
No, I mean.. don't get + and - mixed up

That advertisement has this "centre positive" make sure your device expects the + voltage polarity in the center, I do not have a TBC-3000 (but I do have a TBC-1000 and it expects center positive there is a little symbol underneath the connector socket on the back of my device.. I have no way of knowing if the TBC-3000 is the same.. check, check, check).

The connector plug can have either coming from the center or the collar ring. Its easy to forget to check it and send electrons the wrong way through your device.

Generally "good" electronics have a diode input set to prevent it from happening, but they still generate a little heat and can blow like fuses if left plugged in the wrong way too long. (IF) they even bothered to try and protect the circuit at all.. it costs them money.. low margin devices don't have the protection and will fry the device.

The PhiPhong will have a little International symbol for polarity with -, + symbols look at the PhiPhong label on the adapter when you get it and look at the one that should be on the back of your TBC-3000 and make sure they match. They should be the same. (IF in doubt, don't risk it.. get someone else to double check for you.)

You can see the symbol in the following photos, but its switched around make sure they match is a relative term, make sure they make sense.. might be better.

Oh i see! Having checked the TBC-3000 it matches that of the TBC-1000. Thanks for the photos. Looks like the symbol on the Phihong is upside down, but still matches that of the TBC, if i'm correct?

I'll go ahead and order it and hope mines is like that too.

jwillis84 10-02-2017 03:17 PM

Sounds right.

If in doubt get another person who you trust to double check.

I'm just some random guy on the internet.