Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-23-2017, 06:07 AM
Free Member

Hi,

Long-time lurker, but I think possibly first time posting here. I've been using this site for guidance on choosing a VCR in order to rip some old-school UK TV to DVD from VHS. More by luck than judgement I recently acquired an NV-HS860 for a bargain price (in a spares/repairs bundle - without remotes, cables, etc.) - but long story short, it's now working and playback is pretty nice (compared to the NV-HS830 that I was using until yesterday).

I already have a Panasonic remote specifically for the NV-HS860 (and NV-HS960 too - that's what I originally bought it for, while I was trying to find a decent NV-HS960 to archive my tapes). I know that the remote itself at least partially works because my Panasonic TV responds to volume and power when I switch the remote to TV. When I switch the remote back to VCR, however, the VCR doesn't respond at all- it doesn't matter how I set the switch on the remote (it has option for VCR 'A' or 'B', which can be set in the menus - except I can't access the menus without the remote).

I also have a OneForAll universal remote which I know works, as I used to use it on an old Samsung VCR until just yesterday... I tried 3 different codes in order to get it to talk to the NV-HS860, but so far the VCR isn't responding on any of them.

Given that the VCR doesn't respond to the proper remote on a known good button (e.g. power on/off), and given that the universal remote (which was in use until recently) can't talk to the VCR either, I suspect a problem with the VCR itself rather than the remote(s). That said I can't imagine that the remote function would pack up - but then I know very little about VCRs in general and maybe such a fault is more common than I'd imagine (??)

So I'm hoping to tap into some of the advice here. Does anyone know some sort of test I can try to prove where the fault is (and better yet can anyone help me fix it)? I can use the VCR as-is and it's fine for ripping videos to DVD, but it would be awesome if I could get it working on the remote too!

I'm a reasonably(ish) competent amateur. I don't have any test equipment (save for a multimeter) and would be wary about taking a soldering iron to the VCR. I'm happy to remove/reinstall the Z-mechanism (without dismantling it), but that's about as far as I've gone.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2018, 11:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Welcome.

The sensor on the unit may be blocked, dirty, or damaged.

And since this is Panasonic S-VHS, bad caps are always potential. Not as bad for PAL decks, as it is on NTSC, yet still in realm of possibility.

Quasipal may have some ideas, and then there's always the service manual to review.

That exact models doesn't seem to be in the archive: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...r-manuals.html
If you do find it, please attach it, so we can add it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-10-2018, 06:35 PM
Free Member

I have the same problem with a Panasonic NV-HS 960 (bought on e-bay, in good conditions), but I have not had time to look at it yet to find the fault, because in the meantime I recovered a Panasonic NV-HS 950 from a friend who did not use it anymore and asked me if it could come in handy .

It could be not so easy to fix (except is the infrared receiver faulty) because, at first look, the receiver is directly connected to the microprocessor IC6001 (SYSTEM CONTROL/SERVO IC), B25 line, pin number 14. Check also IC7504 (IR RECEIVER) and IC6004.

The service manual is for European model and is the same for the NV-HS 860 and the NV-HS 960, is in HTML format. To start open the file "hs860eg.html".
I hope it can serve, if you find the fault, let me know which one it is.

Attached Files
File Type: zip NV-HS860EG-K_EU_SVC.zip (7.45 MB, 166 downloads)
The following users thank enois for this useful post: lordsmurf (02-10-2018)
02-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Added: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...r-manuals.html

Thanks!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Free Member

I finally had some time to check the Panasonic NV-HS960 with no remote control responding.
I've been lucky and I solved it: was just a cracked solder. I tried pressing on the IR receiver and at the same time pressing buttons on the RC and, surprise, the VCR responds to the remote.

06_S.jpg

Two pin out of three of the infrared receiver had broken solder. Strange that has happened to such component, usually breakages of this kind occur to mechanically or thermally stressed components, maybe the IR receiver is placed in a position who receives some sort of vibration induced by the mechanical deck…
The bad news is that to reach the solder side of the main PCB is necessary a fully disassemble of the VCR. Like the lasts VCRs model of all the other brands is extremely “space saving” and there is no way to access it for repairing without remove entire blocks.

I don’ t know if gutt3d’ s NV-HS860 has the same break, hope so.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (56.6 KB, 25 downloads)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (64.5 KB, 20 downloads)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (118.5 KB, 18 downloads)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (100.2 KB, 19 downloads)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (53.0 KB, 20 downloads)
File Type: jpg 06.jpg (65.3 KB, 20 downloads)
05-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Free Member

Dude - that is frikking awesome! And by happy coincidence this weekend is my first free weekend in quite some time, so I may even get a chance to take a look at this.

I'll report back. Thank you once again for such a detailed analysis - I'll attempt the same on mine, and let you know!
05-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Free Member

To disassemble follow the procedure showed in the service manual (chapter 3.1.1 DISASSEMBLY FLOW CHART). Pay attention to not brake the plastic tabs that lock the main board, and do not rotate the mode switch under the Z-mechanism (the one in the picture) otherwise it will go out of phase.
I'm really curious to know if your NV-HS860 has the same break.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07-mode switch.jpg (76.3 KB, 17 downloads)