digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC DR-M10 repair? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/8403-jvc-m10-repair.html)

Carljr 01-09-2018 11:13 PM

JVC DR-M10 repair?

Hi all,
After relatively minimal use, my JVC DR-M10 has gotten the dreaded “loading” error. I’ve read about potential user fixes (replacing caps, drives, etc) on the forum and truly believe I don’t have the technical ability to properly correct these issues myself. Is there a reputable repair option out there for these JVC dvd units that will accept shipments? Tgrant did amazing work on a Panasonic AG-1980 I had but I know he doesn’t do JVC dvd recorders.
Thanks in advance.

lordsmurf 01-11-2018 10:05 PM

I've always had solder-savvy friends fix mine. I've never fond a place that will repair those. I know that in years past some members here helped others out for a small fee of under $50 and re-shipping.

TGrant really limits himself, but I guess he has his reasons. There's caps demand beyond 1980s.

jwillis84 01-12-2018 01:55 PM

I'd suggest a recommendation Lordsmurf has made to me in the past, and to other people.

At the first sign of the "Loading" problem.. (unplug) the unit!

You don't know for sure if its the DVD drive or the Caps going bad.. but from what I've read.. while these problems are rare.. letting the board continue to run powered up could lead to damage that can't be repaired without a board swap.

I read up on what happens to resistors when they burn out.. they don't behave like fuses.. they lower their resistance and let "more" current through the circuit until they burn in two or disintegrate. That's bad... it can damage other components.

Tgrant also returned an inquiry I had, about maintenance on some eclectic VCRs that I have, and had to turn me down. They specialize on models that have a better prognosis of repair.. totally makes sense.

He mentioned business was good and some larger accounts were consuming more of their time.

I looked at Southern Advantage.. simply because I know they are expensive.. but I have never had any kind of good or bad experience.. their website mentioned some larger institutions were consuming more of their time maintaining the AG1980 and professional VCRs.

I would (second Lordsmurfs suggestion) regarding getting the Caps replaced but be careful in who you trust/select and take your time picking them. The soldering isn't on surface mount components, they are PC and Axial leads but sourcing the correct parts and doing the job right will require a fair amount of skill. You might try posting a [Wanted: Service] ad here on the forum dedicated to Wanted, For Sale items and see how that works out. It could cost you a lot in two way shipping.. but its a start, maybe you'll get lucky and someone will live close to you who can help... maybe swap the first three digits of your Zipcode to get an idea, but retain a little bit of anonymity.

lordsmurf 01-13-2018 09:31 PM

Southern Advantage has a been mixed bag for years. I don't trust them. That would be my last resort, if every other repair facility closed shop.

Just to clarify, my solder-savvy friends worked in video. So they were used to see boards, not just "stuff" (video games, computers, etc). One was a broadcast engineer, retired to college teaching. The other left video for more lucrative tech work.

The advice to post a "help wanted" ad in the marketplace is sound. This is probably one of the best places online to get help on this issue.