digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC HM-D30000U not turning on? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/8734-jvc-hm-d30000u.html)

ENunn 05-27-2018 11:00 AM

JVC HM-D30000U not turning on?

Hey, last week I bought the JVC HM-D30000U off eBay and I got it on Friday.

I think it died already and it hasn't been two whole days yet.

Last night it was working just fine before I went to bed but now it doesn't even power on. When I unplug and plug the thing back in, the 3DNR and S-ET lights flash for a split second but then nothing else happens.

I opened up the machine and I didn't see any bad capacitors. Not sure what to do.

I do know that the 30k is more crappier than the 40k, but I could not find one off eBay for a good price (I bought my 30k for $200 while the only 40k listed on eBay at the time was $600 in box with no other listing, and its still the only listing at the moment).

Any help? Thanks!

lordsmurf 05-27-2018 12:52 PM

I'm not a fan of the D-VHS players, as they are especially craptastic at LP/EP(SLP) tracking. The transports and alignments are seemingly narrower than S-VHS decks (especially the SRs), and optimized for the D-VHS tapes in SP mode.

And then I always warn about eBay -- even the so-called "tested" and "working" players almost always have issues. The reasoning is that the deck is tested with a retail SP mode VHS tape, and any image of any quality is seen by the seller as good. But that's not how you test a VCR, especially when it comes to the fancier S-VHS and D-VHS decks. And eBay sellers are usually recyclers, and have zero knowledge on how the VCR should operate. Many sorely need maintenance. You're not buying from eBay as much as you're gambling.

You should just return the deck. It has too much going against it. I have some good JVC decks for sale in the forum marketplace (PM me), TGrant has Panasonics, or you can role the eBay dice again.

ENunn 05-27-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 54379)
I'm not a fan of the D-VHS players, as they are especially craptastic at LP/EP(SLP) tracking. The transports and alignments are seemingly narrower than S-VHS decks (especially the SRs), and optimized for the D-VHS tapes in SP mode.

And then I always warn about eBay -- even the so-called "tested" and "working" players almost always have issues. The reasoning is that the deck is tested with a retail SP mode VHS tape, and any image of any quality is seen by the seller as good. But that's not how you test a VCR, especially when it comes to the fancier S-VHS and D-VHS decks. And eBay sellers are usually recyclers, and have zero knowledge on how the VCR should operate. Many sorely need maintenance. You're not buying from eBay as much as you're gambling.

You should just return the deck. It has too much going against it. I have some good JVC decks for sale in the forum marketplace (PM me), TGrant has Panasonics, or you can role the eBay dice again.

I'll tell you, before all this stuff started happening, D-VHS tapes played fine but whenever I played a standard VHS tape it would display absolutely nothing. Not sure if standard tapes don't work with component or what but I found that weird.

How did I not think of the marketplace sooner? Hehe thanks for letting me know about it! I'll consider it!

lordsmurf 05-27-2018 01:09 PM

There are separate internal heads for D-VHS and S-VHS/VHS.
It sounds like you had a D-VHS-only player that was limping along. Then it failed.

ENunn 05-27-2018 01:11 PM

Never thought about that since my player has the SVHS logo on it. Oh well.