digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Video Hardware Repair (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/)
-   -   JVC HR-S6900U problems: drive arm assembly, loading mech gear? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-repair/8998-jvc-s6900u-problems.html)

throwcomputer 09-12-2018 11:00 PM

JVC HR-S6900U problems: drive arm assembly, loading mech gear?

Just received a JVC HR-S6900U vcr which has some loading issues. The gears driving the loading mechanism, at the end of the drive arm assembly do not make contact with the capstain motor gears when in position to drive the loader. The drive arm assembly seems just loose enough with wobbling play where, the spring holding tension on one end of the drive arm assembly pulls the gear on the other end of the arm away from the board, causing the gear to lift up just enough where it misses the teeth on the capstain motor gear. A side issue is that the gear on the end of the drive arm has its teeth starting to slightly wear out. Although when I press down on the arm to seat it in the correct level position, it makes firm contact with the capstain motor gear.

Here is a quick video of the issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wr...guWlljdeKjkz99

Just wondering how to go about fixing this issue? Do I replace the whole drive arm assembly? Do I replace the gear on the end that links up to the capstain motor? Do i just remove the arm, bend the metal arm just enough to counter the wiggle in the arm? If so, how do I remove those split washers? I tried sliding a micro flat head under the washer and prying it off but it wouldn't give, and I didn't want to break the split washer, as I'm not sure where to get replacements. This is my first attempt at repairing something like this.

Everything else on the VCR seems to work perfectly as I can manually feed the tape in, hold it down and play it, with great picture/audio quality.

Any info would be appreciated!

lordsmurf 09-13-2018 02:24 AM

No idea. Somebody else here might, so hopefully you get more replies.

I'm mostly replying because:
1. I don't like ignoring posts, hard to have an FAQ with no answers
2. You need to realize that repair parts, or even spare parts deck, may cost more than a better deck.
3. Which brings up the case of why use this deck at all? It's not a highly suggested machine for VHS, due to lacking TBC, and most owners keep it around purely for nostalgia and collecting VCRs (an odd hobby to me, but I don't judge, I collect Smurfs PVCs). It's not bad, and does have nice transport, but not best, and some other with-TBC decks have ice transports too (better SRs).

Just some thoughts. :)

Good luck on the repairs, I hope you find what you need. (And if you happen to find it, please do post back here, let us know what you did.)

throwcomputer 09-13-2018 07:05 PM

Why repair... because its what I have at the moment for minimal cost. It plays tapes with the top off and manual feeding while the image quality is great. I'm sure its not the best on the list, but then again to track down one of the best, especially on ebay, you'll be spending quite a bit of money which is absurd for a vcr in 2018 while still dealing with the probability it has some issues the seller either didn't, or pretended to not know about. If there were more serious issues with this deck I would toss it, but it seems to be one small part that will be annoying to track down. Also, one ribbon cable for the play head whose contact bent when I took it apart (still works). Ribbon cables are easy enough to find on digikey or mouser.

Until something better comes along, might as well mess with this thing and see if I can fix the issue!

lordsmurf 09-14-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throwcomputer (Post 56080)
Why repair... because its what I have at the moment
It plays tapes with the top off and manual feeding while the image quality is great. I
Until something better comes along, might as well mess with this thing and see if I can fix the issue!

Yep, fair enough. :)

Quote:

which is absurd for a vcr in 2018 while still dealing with the probability it has some issues
Only places like eBay are absurd. I regularly see auctions where the unit is explicitly broken, and the person wants $200 or something. I realize that parts have value, but then the seller doesn't even know what parts are good or bad, just slaps a random and ridiculous price on it.