digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VirtualDub capture with VC500? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10165-virtualdub-capture-vc500.html)

ferggue 12-05-2019 10:45 AM

VirtualDub capture with VC500?

3 Attachment(s)
Hello!

First, thank you all for the help you provide in this magnificent forum. I'm sorry if you don't understand well, I translate with google translate.

I was capturing with easycap trash for a year. I am from Argentina and it is difficult to obtain an AIW with cables and at a good price. The best I could get is a Diamond VC500.

Until now there was a grabber with the Honestech VHS to DVD 8.0 Deluxe and easycap software. The VC500 came with CyberLink PowerDirector 12, it captures better, but it has a problem with false copyrights on my house tapes. I don't want to go back to Honestech VHS because I feel it's not very good.

1. I want to start using VirtualDub but I certainly couldn't make the image appear. I read the LordSmurf post http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html but I didn't get any images or sounds. Could someone help me with this configuration? I want to capture in mpeg2, mp4 and in AVI without losses.

2. On the other hand, my VC500 has a color error, everything appears green and violet when I open the configuration tab of the PowerEditor dentist, this is solved by closing and reopening the program (without reopening the configuration tab). And in Honestech VHS, the green window appears directly or does not appear. I leave attached captures that demonstrate the green screen error.

Greetings and thanks!

msgohan 12-05-2019 07:20 PM

A few VirtualDub configuration tips that come to mind:
  1. Feed an active video source (not VCR blue screen) via S-Video or composite and select the correct input
  2. In Capture Filter, make sure Signal Detected is "1" and the number of detected lines is showing. Set the appropriate Video Standard, in your case PAL_N.
  3. Display: use Preview if Overlay doesn't work.

ferggue 12-06-2019 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 65150)
A few VirtualDub configuration tips that come to mind:
  1. Feed an active video source (not VCR blue screen) via S-Video or composite and select the correct input
  2. In Capture Filter, make sure Signal Detected is "1" and the number of detected lines is showing. Set the appropriate Video Standard, in your case PAL_N.
  3. Display: use Preview if Overlay doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.

I was checking and the only way to get the image to appear is: by selecting inside the device 0. Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32) (VFW) tab and then selecting the VC500 device in the Video Source tab.

After this the image appears successfully although the live sound does not come out. In my first capture test both the image and the sound were good.

So, is this the right way or should I be able to select the VC500 directly from the Device tab without having to go through the Microsoft WDM?

msgohan 12-06-2019 09:56 AM

It should work directly, without the wrapper.

Eyal 12-06-2019 02:34 PM

I use VC500 and Virtualdub2(but it's the same for 1).

Under "Device" you need to choose Conexant Polaris Video Capture(DirectShow) and then under Video > Video Source the input you are using.

If you don't have Conexant Polaris Video available maybe you haven't installed the correct drivers.

About the Cyberlink copyright issue, that can be fixed by changing the config ini file in the program's folder, I don't remember exactly what you need to do but you can google that and find a solution, the Mpeg2 recording bit rate can be set to an higher value in the config file as well, but either way you better off using Virtualdub with a lossless codec and then encode the video to h.264 or h.265, you'll get much better results this way.

Sirworm 12-06-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyal (Post 65169)

Under "Device" you need to choose Conexant Polaris Video Capture(DirectShow) and then under Video > Video Source the input you are using.

If you don't have Conexant Polaris Video available maybe you haven't installed the correct drivers.

About the Cyberlink copyright issue, that can be fixed by changing the config ini file in the program's folder, I don't remember exactly what you need to do but you can google that and find a solution, the Mpeg2 recording bit rate can be set to an higher value in the config file as well, but either way you better off using Virtualdub with a lossless codec and then encode the video to h.264 or h.265, you'll get much better results this way.

Actually, it isnt always Conexant. It can vary from model to model. Forgot what I use under that tab but it isnt Conexant (I'm using a newer model).

The green and violet video is a strange issue that is typically associated with the vc500. I experience it as well, and it certainly is annoying! What I typically do is unplug and replug and that usually fixes itself. I know some individuals would most-likely claim that it is a result of faulty cables, however in my case I have ruled that out. It usually happens in the beginning of the tape, yes?

Overlay should work fine with the VC500, and I'd suggest using it.

Eyal 12-07-2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirworm (Post 65173)
Forgot what I use under that tab but it isnt Conexant (I'm using a newer model).

Mine is VC500CXT, with serial starting with DM217, I've never experienced this green/violet issue you two are describing.

hodgey 12-07-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Actually, it isnt always Conexant. I
What's in yours? Did they change recently? The really old ones (like 2008) used a trident chip, but after that they seem to all have been using a conexant chip.

ferggue 12-08-2019 12:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyal (Post 65169)

It's okay Conexant Polaris Video Capture (DirectShow), it appears correctly but does not give image. With Microsoft WDM Image Capture if image appears. Attach two photos that prove it.

My VC500 is testing it in 4 different software:

honestech VHS to DVD 8.0 Deluxe: Almost always gives a green and magenta image. Or does not give image. Very rarely it is correct.

CyberLink PowerDirector: It usually gives image correctly, sometimes it appears green and magenta but it is solvable by closing and reopening the program. The biggest problem is the false copyright error. I did not find the ini file solution you named.

Debut Video Capture Software: The green and magenta image always appears without solution.

VirtualDub: no image appears. Only if you select device Microsoft WDM Image Capture.

A curiosity is that with my EasyCap I have no problem in any software.

I bought it used because in Argentina it is not sold new. I am in time to return it but I would really like to use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyal (Post 65174)
Mine is VC500CXT, with serial starting with DM217, I've never experienced this green/violet issue you two are describing.

Mine VC500 serial starting DM219 and it's 2017.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirworm (Post 65173)
Actually, it isnt always Conexant. It can vary from model to model. Forgot what I use under that tab but it isnt Conexant (I'm using a newer model).

The green and violet video is a strange issue that is typically associated with the vc500. I experience it as well, and it certainly is annoying! What I typically do is unplug and replug and that usually fixes itself. I know some individuals would most-likely claim that it is a result of faulty cables, however in my case I have ruled that out. It usually happens in the beginning of the tape, yes?

Overlay should work fine with the VC500, and I'd suggest using it.

The green and magenta problem is independent of VHS, it happens or it doesn't happen in the software. In the cyberlink it turns green whenever I enter settings.

lordsmurf 12-08-2019 01:26 AM

I've never endorsed VC500 as a good card, nor have others. Something about the card is highly variable, with everything from AGC to simply not working correctly. sanlyn is one of the few that have apparently had good luck with it, but many more have not. It's not as bad as Blackmagic, of course. CX chipsets (formerly BT) were never considered a mark of quality capturing in the pre-USB (capture card) days. In fact, many were infamous, not much different that EZcap/Easycap (aka Easycrap).

The best "fix" here is probably to get a better card.

ferggue 12-08-2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 65192)
I've never endorsed VC500 as a good card, nor have others. Something about the card is highly variable, with everything from AGC to simply not working correctly. sanlyn is one of the few that have apparently had good luck with it, but many more have not. It's not as bad as Blackmagic, of course. CX chipsets (formerly BT) were never considered a mark of quality capturing in the pre-USB (capture card) days. In fact, many were infamous, not much different that EZcap/Easycap (aka Easycrap).

The best "fix" here is probably to get a better card.

I get it. What capture device you can get new today recommend me? I know I recommend the AIW but certainly the only ones I could find in Argentina cost $ 250 and it's a lot for me. Salaries are $ 500. I'm looking for something that is possible to achieve and give me a positive result. Easycap is ********* and with the VC500 I had bad luck.

ferggue 12-11-2019 11:27 PM

Hello partners.

I commented that I could solve the problem with VirtualDub and my VC500. What happened was that I selected the VC500 (Conexant Polaris Video Capture) correctly in Device but in Audio I also selected Conexant Polaris Video Capture, which proved that no audio or image appears. The solution was simply in audio select 0. Capture Device.

Successfully capture Avi Huffyuv without losses! :D

Magenta green screen error exists but only in software other than VirtualDub.

With this solved, I ask you something else. How do I capture in mpeg2 and mp4?

Thank you very much to all! :)

Since I read this forum I learned a lot.

Eyal 12-12-2019 12:02 AM

Told you :wink2: At least for me so far the VC500 is working great.

You can capture directly to mp4 with VirtualDub2, you can convert to Mpeg2 using Handbreak(and convert to mp4 if you don't want to use VirtualDub2), not that I understand why you would want to do that, maybe you can also install an Mpeg2 codec to be used in VirtualDub, but I never tried that so I don't know.

ferggue 12-12-2019 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyal (Post 65241)
Told you :wink2: At least for me so far the VC500 is working great.

You can capture directly to mp4 with VirtualDub2, you can convert to Mpeg2 using Handbreak(and convert to mp4 if you don't want to use VirtualDub2), not that I understand why you would want to do that, maybe you can also install an Mpeg2 codec to be used in VirtualDub, but I never tried that so I don't know.

I will try VirtualDub2 to mp4.

I continued with VirtualDub with my VC500 and in a moment if the green and magenta screen appeared, but this was solved simply by closing and opening the program. I clarify it to make it clear that the problem can also occur in VirtualDub but it is solvable.

AshleyRRiggs 12-12-2019 04:37 AM

Hi,

Mine is also VC500CXT. And this is working good.

Eyal 12-12-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferggue (Post 65248)
I will try VirtualDub2 to mp4.

Sorry I need to clarify my previous post, you can convert to MP4 using VirtualDub2, live capturing is still to AVI.
To convert you need to select MP4(MPEG-4 Part 14) in the Save file dialog and also under the "Audio" menu to select "Full processing mode" and select a codec under "Compression..." otherwise you will get an error when trying to save the file.

ferggue 12-13-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyal (Post 65255)
Sorry I need to clarify my previous post, you can convert to MP4 using VirtualDub2, live capturing is still to AVI.
To convert you need to select MP4(MPEG-4 Part 14) in the Save file dialog and also under the "Audio" menu to select "Full processing mode" and select a codec under "Compression..." otherwise you will get an error when trying to save the file.

Thanks for your help. I try this but i get an error.

I did not understand the procedure well. : hmm:
1. Capture in avi.
2. Then I charge it in the VirtualDub.
3. I select the complete sound processing mode.
4. Compression, which one? where? I tried to select in sound and video, but both give me an error and the option is not saved.

Eyal 12-13-2019 07:14 PM

I'm referring to VirtualDub2.

1. Open the file you want to convert.
2. Select Video > Full processing mode. (In the top menus)
3. Select Video > Compression > Choose the codec you want to use for encoding, typically that would be x264 or x265 if you have them installed on your computer.
4. Select Audio > Full processing mode.
5. Select Audio > Compression > Choose the codec for the audio, typically that would be either FFMpeg AAC or MPEG Layer-3.
6. To save the settings: File > Save processing settings(to load them: File > Load processing....).
7. File > Save video > Save as type > MP4(MPEG-4 Part 14) > make sure the audio is checked at the bottom > Save.

ferggue 12-16-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyal (Post 65275)
I'm referring to VirtualDub2.

1. Open the file you want to convert.
2. Select Video > Full processing mode. (In the top menus)
3. Select Video > Compression > Choose the codec you want to use for encoding, typically that would be x264 or x265 if you have them installed on your computer.
4. Select Audio > Full processing mode.
5. Select Audio > Compression > Choose the codec for the audio, typically that would be either FFMpeg AAC or MPEG Layer-3.
6. To save the settings: File > Save processing settings(to load them: File > Load processing....).
7. File > Save video > Save as type > MP4(MPEG-4 Part 14) > make sure the audio is checked at the bottom > Save.

Thank you, works perfectly.

enas.nikos 01-19-2022 02:32 AM

I had and still have the same problem with my VC500 and VirtualDub. Tried different versions of VirtualDub on different computers (with Win10). No luck.

The solution I found is to use VirtualDub2. Works in every computer too.