digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Horizontal rainbow artifacts from SVHS player s-video? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10449-horizontal-rainbow-artifacts.html)

bigal100 03-21-2020 02:48 PM

Horizontal rainbow artifacts from SVHS player s-video?

Hi everyone,

I'm going mad trying to archive some old VHS-C tapes. I purchased a JVC HR-S2902U from ebay. I am running it through a Roxio VHS to DVD USB converter. The composite videos look fine, aside from being a tad blurry. The S-Video output, which I read is supposed to be higher quality, might be a bit sharper but has crazy horizontal rainbow artifacts along the top of the video. Here is a sample:

https://youtu.be/nmDa5-WNNGo

I don't believe the Roxio capture device I have is busted because I have another 8mm camcorder with s-video output and when I plug it in through the Roxio it has no artifacts. Which leaves me to believe the culprit is the S-Video output on the JVC HR-S2902U might be busted. I was wondering if I can correct these artifacts using a Panasonic DMR-ES10 passthrough, or if I should get another VHS player, or better capture card that might be able to correct these artifacts?

Thanks!

hodgey 03-21-2020 03:19 PM

That's the exact sort of error an ES10 will help with.

lordsmurf 03-22-2020 02:04 AM

Better capture card for sure -- the Roxio is a rebadged infamous Easycap (aka Easycrap).

The ES10 will help.

You have a low-end S-VHS deck. Better than the standard consumer VHS VCR, but still not a recommended S-VHS deck with line TBC. The 29xx must be paired with the ES10/15 to even stand a remote chance of working well.

See this: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/editorials...g-workflow.htm
Especially this part:
Quote:

A basic/minimalist/essential workflow is
  1. the tape player or camera
  2. something that does timing correction and/or frame sync
  3. digital device (computer capture card, DVD recorder, DV capture box/camera)
Again, workflow = sequential steps. The analog signal is played, then corrected/prepped for digital acquisition, and then captured, in that specific order. And the middle TBC step is required, not optional.

But since analog video signal are chaotic, it’s not as simple as using any VCR, any capture card, or any device claiming to be a "TBC" (or have TBC functionality). Therefore, the suggested minimal workflow is:
  1. JVC or Panasonic S-VHS VCR, with internal TBC (to the clean image quality)
  2. external TBC (to clean the signal quality); usually DataVideo TBC-1000 or green Cypress AVT-8710
  3. internal ATI AIW card, known-good USB capture card, or LSI chipset-based DVD recorder
But sometimes people act as if those 3 items are “overkill” (translation = “too expensive”). It’s almost always due to not wanting to spend the money. Yes, that sort of setup generally costs up to $1k. And the common response from the person is “I don’t want anything fancy, I just need the basics”. But it is the basics! That’s an entry level workflow. It’s not a “fancy” professional one, and not even close!
With just the JVC 29xx, ES10/15 as partial TBC(ish), and a better capture card, you'll have a fighting chance at the prokect. You'll likely still have some issues, but nowhere near as bad as what you're facing now.

bigal100 03-22-2020 01:17 PM

Hey yall, I appreciate the comments! I checked out the list you provided of SVHS players with line TBC but the ones I can see on eBay are out of my budget for this project as these are just home movies, but I found an ES-10 (with remote) for under $100. So now I have two questions remaining:

1. I noticed the ES-10 has a component output as well as S-Video, would you recommend capturing the component instead?

2. Any suggestions on a good capture card sub $100 (or at least better than the Roxio)? I have a desktop PC so I can install a PCI/PCI-e card if needed. I see a bunch on Amazon but I know their reviews are shady. If component signal is cleaner I would like to record from that.

Again thanks for the help, I haven't used a hobbyist forum for over a decade and this reminds me why I like the "old" internet so much more.

hodgey 03-22-2020 01:46 PM

Component is technically superior but due to the low color resolution on most tape formats like VHS, I don't know if you would see a difference in practice (for NTSC that is, PAL is a bit different). I know not all DVRs output interlaced video over component in NTSC land though, but I think the ES10 can.

BW37 03-22-2020 02:27 PM

Curious about this comment:

" The composite videos look fine, aside from being a tad blurry. The S-Video output, which I read is supposed to be higher quality, might be a bit sharper but has crazy horizontal rainbow artifacts along the top of the video."

Question for the experts:

Assuming this difference occurs when capturing the same tape, why would tearing occur in the s-video output but not the composite?

2nd question for the experts:

Have any of you tried capturing with a Roxio VHS to DVD USB (or similar "easycrap") using the automatically installed plug and play, Directshow drivers and VirtualDub? I tried it just for fun and I was surprised that it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. It seems much better than using the Roxio supplied software, especially when I captured the audio separately through the sound card. Separating the audio improved the audio quality and also allowed monitoring it while capturing (sound card/software dependent?). This was on Win7 Pro x64.

BW

bigal100 03-22-2020 02:50 PM

Hey @BW37, maybe some more context for your first question:

I believe that the flagging only coming from S-Video was due to me plugging in the composite cables directly into my new-sh HDTV, and I read somewhere that newer TV's perform correction for errors like this.

The flagging errors appear on the S-Video AND composite when viewed through my Roxio capture card on my PC.

BW37 03-22-2020 02:53 PM

Thanks. That makes more sense.

BW

bigal100 03-22-2020 05:24 PM

Did some reading, I will experiment with HR-S2902U -> ES10 -> Diamond VC500 -> Virtualdub. Thanks for your help everybody :):):)

msgohan 03-24-2020 02:34 PM

Did you try changing the Video Stabilizer setting in the menu?

bigal100 03-26-2020 11:10 PM

@msgohan don't have one. I ordered one along with the ES10 so I'll see if there are some settings on the player to adjust. :)