digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Weird tracking errors using DVC100? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10456-weird-tracking-errors.html)

Notelu 03-24-2020 12:29 PM

Weird tracking errors using DVC100?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm currently using the DVC100 capture card to capture a tape, however for some reason the capture card is not tracking properly (I think) and causing weird red lines to appear erratically throughout the capture. Has this happened to anyone else? and if so anyways to fix it? I've checked it's not my VCR or my Tape. I've included a quick sample I did in OBS to show the problem. (See top of the screen)

lordsmurf 03-24-2020 12:35 PM

That's probably lack of TBC.

"VCR > capture card" does not work.
It must be "VCR > TBC > capture device". Some sort of TBC must exist, it is not optional.

What is your workflow?

The DVC100 is a lousy card, but it meets the minimums of sometimes being acceptable. Not excellent or good, just barely passable, maybe. Thus not recommended.

OBS is also the wrong capture software. I wish people would quit using stream-capture software for analog capture. Use VirtualDub, the capture tool created for analog capture. That can be part of the issue as well.

Notelu 03-24-2020 12:44 PM

My current workflow is a Samsung DVD-V5500 plugged into the Dazzle, I do not have a dedicated time base corrector as I do not have the money for one, I do use Virtualdub for the main captures, I just used OBS for this sample as it was quicker to get up and shows the issue fine, The issue does not appear when I plug the VCR directly into my TV, it only appears when using the capture card.

msgohan 03-24-2020 02:26 PM

It's intermittent flagging, in both directions.

I assume this is a multi-generation tape, since it appears to be a non-commercial concert recording.

If I were you I would like into picking up one of the Panasonic DVD recorder models that can be used for passthrough.

Notelu 03-24-2020 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I should probably elaborate more on the issue that I am having.

The actual issue is called flagging (Thank you msghoan)
it only appears when I use the capture card, when plugged in directly into the TV it looks fine. (See attachment)

msgohan 03-25-2020 12:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by msgohan (Post 67470)
If I were you I would look into picking up one of the Panasonic DVD recorder models that can be used for passthrough.

I made a dumb typo and can't edit the post. That's what it should have said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notelu (Post 67478)
it only appears when I use the capture card, when plugged in directly into the TV it looks fine

That's pretty normal. Here's another current thread where a guy is seeing flagging when connected to capture card but normal video when connected to his HDTV: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post67438

Screenshot of his video
Attachment 11499

Screenshots of your video
Attachment 11500Attachment 11501

TVs are designed to handle these malformed signals, as are the passthrough DVD recorder models recommended around these forums. Capture cards aren't (barring a few exotic exceptions).

Notelu 03-25-2020 11:39 AM

ah that explains it, thank you so much!

What is the cheapest dvd recorder (that you would recommend) that is able to fix these kinds of issues?

msgohan 03-25-2020 01:34 PM

Normally I would say that your local Craigslist is probably cheaper than eBay and should offer the chance to test. I've also found them in thrift stores here in Vancouver. But given the pandemic...

I would set up a eBay Saved Search with email alerts for a For Parts listing of DMR-ES15. It needs to be able to input and output video, but the DVD drive can be dead, so you can save money compared to a fully-functional model. You could also add DMR-ES10 to the search but I think there is more of a concern about their power supplies dying.

You also need the remote or one that can be programmed with the relevant keys, so that you can disable the Input Noise Reduction if the previous owner had it turned on, and set the black level appropriately.

Notelu 03-25-2020 09:27 PM

Thank you, just ordered the DMR-ES15 off of ebay, I'll give an update once I get it.