digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   ADVC-55 on MacOS? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10614-advc-55-macos.html)

oldmanstan 05-11-2020 11:57 AM

ADVC-55 on MacOS?

New to VHS transfer, come from the world of audio.

In audio-world, when you have a lower budget it's often better to buy "good & old" instead of "new and cheap". Used Firewire MOTU is better than a cheap new USB Behringer, ect.

So, when I ordered something to convert some old videos, I ordered a firewire "ADVC-55" without too much research. I didn't (maybe still don't?) know the different between DV, and a capture card.

Main issue: I've tried recording video via Final Cut Pro & iMovie. There is no option to "record", only "import". If I understand correctly, this is the norm for DV, firewire video transfer? If I try to import a "commercial" tape, it seems to work, through does a kind of "splitting" of the scenes, and pauses, which doesn't seem necessary.

When trying to convert a slightly shakier home video, the program "splits" the file into a million ~0.5 second slices. If I drag/drop this slices into the timeline, there's obvious skipping & stuttering, not present in the actual tape, likely the act of "creating new clips" putting stress on the HDD. If I do some googling, it seems that iMovie used to have an option labeled “Automatically start new clip at scene break.”, which you could disable. The current iMovie/FCP seems to lack this option, which seemingly could be my main issue?

I tried "recording" the input using a cheap, sketchy "Camera Recorder" app from the MacOS appstore. I get smooth video, but the audio goes completely out of sync.

So my questions are:

Is there a way to get iMovie or Final Cut Pro to play nice with my ADVC-55

or

Is there a alternative piece of MacOS software which plays nice with the ADVC-55?

or

If not, is there software on Windows, I should be using via bootcamp?

or

Should I have bought a newer "USB Capture" device? In audio-world, you generally avoid any "usb converter in a cable" product, though some of these video capture products seem well regarded. Elgato Video Capture seems to have it's own MacOS capture software. Is there a big gap in quality?

EDIT: Poking around other posts on the forum, I seems that "DV" & the ADVC aren't the best way to go? What's the best USB capture solution I should be eyeballing?

Thanks in advance!

dpalomaki 05-11-2020 03:55 PM

Check
https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...isplay.php?f=8
as a source of information on the ADVC0 series with a MAC.
Quote:

...when you have a lower budget it's often better to buy "good & old" instead of "new and cheap"...
You will find that the preferred analog video capture systems most discussed here are based on legacy Windows/PC systems.

The ADVC series, as with most analog video digitizing devices, expects a solid, stable, video signal that is compliant with specification for the video standard in use. Sloppy signals will result in dropped frames, off colors and brightness, unsynced audio, and aborted captures depending in part on the software being used. Unfortunately sloppy output is not uncommon with consumer VCRs.

The ADVC is designed to look like a Sony DV camcorder to the computer. It digitizes the analog video input and outputs a DV data stream which is lossy. DV is not the recommended format, especially if you play to do any image restoration or if the video is noisy, which is common to most home video. Whether or not the ADVC-55 will provide the quality you are seeking is your decision; however, it does not meet the needs of many of the gurus here. Also, many have found that some firewire ports are not sufficiently robust to power some of the ADVC models (an external wall wart/brick is needed) and this may cause issues as well.

Commercial video tapes are often copy protected (e.g., macrovision) and most digitizing cards/devices respect copy protection. The result is either no capture or an unusable image.

Use of a quality S-VHS VCR with internal line TBC and an external full frame TBC can help mitigate many of these issues.

lordsmurf 05-11-2020 04:29 PM

Yes, with video capture, new stuff is mostly junk. So wise to buy "old" (it's not old, but "legacy").

Mac was never a capture OS, so you're really limited in options -- especially with the last several OS updates. "Screwed" is almost just as accurate as "limited", to be blunt (and honest).

DV boxes lose 50% of the color data in NTSC.
Or just slightly fuzzy in PAL (but not too different from DVD, for PAL).
Both NTSC and PAL have noise and blocks.
So lossy quality.

And it till must be paired with a good VCR (VHS) or camera (Hi8/V8).
Plus some form of TBC (external frame TBC strongly suggested to have any hope in guaranteed capturing all your tapes with capture issues).

The "split" issues is a nuisance, even on good footage. Your problem here is (likely) due to VCR quality and lack of TBC.
- Which VCR are you using?
- TBC?

Your issue is not software.

Newer will be worse. You'll just have smeary H.264/MP4 with most of those.

I know of some good USB options for older Mac OS X, but not newer.
- Which version do you use?

Tip: You DO NOT want Blackmagic cards.

oldmanstan 05-12-2020 01:16 AM

Lot of great info here! I'll be replying 1:1.

The ADVC series, as with most analog video digitizing devices, expects a solid, stable, video signal that is compliant with specification for the video standard in use.

Ah, thats rather obnoxious. Seem's counterintuitive to treat an analog signal to the scrutiny of a digital signal. Copy that, though. Thanks for the heads up.

DV boxes lose 50% of the color data in NTSC...
So lossy quality.

Yikes. What is the vocab for the alternative I should be looking? "Capture Card"?

The "split" issues is a nuisance, even on good footage. Your problem here is (likely) due to VCR quality and lack of TBC.

Wow, so there's no software to straight "record" the input without trying to "be clever" and organize the clip length for you? That seems wild to me. If I was at work, and my DAW for recording audio ever did that, I would set that software on fire.

- Which VCR are you using?
- TBC?

I'm using a consumer, JVC HR-J692U unit. I am short term happy with the video quality, as it seemingly appears on my computer, if only just to get "safety" backup of my family's home video's. While currently researching what my options might be, if I need/want to adopt a more professional setup with a TBC (new vocab word for me).

Your issue is not software.

I can't help but feel like if FCP didn't split my files, I would have a "safety" digital backup for my family's home movies. Which is what I'm lookin' for short term. That said, I'm obviously willing to swap out my hardware.

I know of some good USB options for older Mac OS X, but not newer.
- Which version do you use?

I'm on MacOS 10.14, Mojave. Avoiding Catalina for audio plugin & workflow purposes.

I have a Win10 installation I occasionally boot from an external SSD. Bit of a hassle, but if better software if located in that universe, let me know.

THANK YOU for this brilliant info so far.