digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Various bad captures, what to do? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10809-bad-captures.html)

llacb47 07-16-2020 10:36 AM

Various bad captures, what to do?

Hello all,

I wanted to get your input on some lousy captures. I realize most members of this forum have probably seen enough hours of bad video to last a lifetime so forgive me if this is an annoying post.

My current setup is a Sony SLV-679HF composite out to a Hauppauge 610 USB-Live 2 captured in Lagarith with AmarecTV on my Windows 10 machine. From reading other posts here, I know that a VCR with internal TBC and external TBC (or budget TBC-ish substitute) are what elevates a capture workflow to "professional". However, before I spend a fair amount of money on some relatively niche equipment, I figured I would post some samples and get some feedback.

I've uploaded the samples to dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zcysx8wve...hro3C-4Ba?dl=0
Beware that the Dropbox player plays a re-encoded version of the video, so you may want to download the videos.

I would like to know if the problems exhibited in these captures can be fixed by a professional setup. For what it's worth, most of my captures do not look this bad (thankfully).

(I will describe the issues in each of the captures)

In sample 1, the audio and video are distorted, and the color flashes in and out as well.

In sample 2, the tape cycles through the "no signal" blue screen every few seconds.

In sample 3, the tape is discolored (white balance issue?). The signal jitters and there is some sort of silhouette around objects towards the right side of the frame (noticeable from 0:05 onwards, look at the woman and the red thing on the wall).

In sample 4, the entire frame shakes (is there a better word?). This tape might be PAL, could that be the cause?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate your help.

latreche34 07-16-2020 03:24 PM

What you call a professional workflow involves a pro S-VHS VTR, A pro capture device such as Aja or Ensemble Designs. What you mean is a good quality stable capture. Since capturing is considered playback you could achieve such quality with consumer equipment. The first thing you want to address is the VCR, from the samples posted you have tracking errors, line wiggle, frame drop, chroma interference. If those were not baked in the tape (meaning a bad recording VCR) with a good S-VHS VCR that has line TBC and manual tracking using S-Video cable to avoid chroma interference that some VCR's have at the composite output and some sort of external TBC to fix the frame timing you could get rid of all those problems.

Hushpower 07-16-2020 08:39 PM

Re clip 2, I had a similar issue, with the picture slowly rolling. it was the VCR and the tape, meaning a particular VCR gave the rolling, regardless of any tracking adjustment I made. I had to use a different VCR. which played the tape without issue. And the problem VCR played other tapes with no issues. I read somewhere that Lordsmurf has many VCRs, and a problem tape may only play well in one of them. This was the case with my rolling tape. My (now 3) VCRs aren't high-end.

Try another VCR.

themaster1 07-17-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llacb47 (Post 70186)
I would like to know if the problems exhibited in these captures can be fixed by a professional setup. For what it's worth, most of my captures do not look this bad (thankfully).

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMA5aH_olAQ

lordsmurf 07-19-2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llacb47 (Post 70186)
I know that a VCR with internal TBC and external TBC (or budget TBC-ish substitute) are what elevates a capture workflow to "professional".

Nope, nope, nope. I need to write an article on this, and soon it seems...

Quality/good and professional are not the same. :no2:

Home/hobby/DIY uses a single good VCR, some sort of TBC/TBC(ish), and capture card. Some corners can be cut, and often are.

Professional is everything in duplicate, at minimum. No corners cut. And far more is in a workflow than just a VCR, TBC, and capture card.

Many people here would drool over my truly professional workflows. :devil:

Each workstation has at least 3x S-VHS VCRs, plus VHS VCR, per format (NTSC, PAL).
At least two TBCs, and we're talking the best of the best, not even TBC-1000s, but rarer models.
And at least two capture cards.
ES10/15 for anti-tearing and truly unstable timebase.
Proc amps. Yes, plural, both YUV and RGB types.
Detailer.
JVC LSI DVD recorder.
Computers maxed out for space -- and the main system is multiple 4tb SSDs, 4tb/16tb HDDs, for total of around 100tb.

What's truly amazing is that this gear (at least in the current market conditions) has actually increased in value over the years, so a single setup could easily command $10k, be it parted out or sold as a whole workflow. It cost about $5k to build, even as recent as 5 years ago.

So if you think a single JVC S-VHS VCR with line TBC is professional ... no. :laugh:

I wrote this a few years ago, goes into some more details:
What’s in a Professional Video Workflow to Convert Analog Videotapes?

Quote:

However, before I spend a fair amount of money
Buy it, use it, resell it. ;)

Quote:

relatively niche equipment,
It's not niche.

I'll have to go to a video computer to look at the sample on this post. Can't do much from tablets while sitting in recliner. But from what I'm reading, latreche34 has laid it out pretty well here. You need a baseline of good gear, meaning S-VHS deck with line TBC. Not a professional setup.