08-05-2020, 08:43 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

What is the best VCR DVD Combo? Any suggestion...
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-05-2020, 10:30 AM
Free Member

Depends what you intend to do with it. Most combo decks are pretty shoddy, but JVC made a few SVHS ones which are decent, the most fancy being the SR-MV50S with TBC and all the bells and whistles and is a decent deck for capturing tapes from. I wouldn't really recommend specifically trying to hunt down a combo deck though, the few that are decent are rare and costly, it's easier and cheaper to get standalone VHS and DVD players/recorders, whether for recording or viewing.
08-05-2020, 10:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Depends what you intend to do with it. Most combo decks are pretty shoddy, but JVC made a few SVHS ones which are decent
Excellent VCRs, excellent DVD recorders ... not so much VHS>DVD, as frame TBC is missing. It only works well for SP master tapes, made on quality cameras (meaning mostly S-VHS cameras, not consumer VHS camcorders). It's very touchy to sources, as are all combo units. I have one for my own hobby SP S-VHS recordengs, and it works well.

You must understand intention and sources for combo recorders.

Most consumer "combo" units were for playing VHS, playing DVD, and recording DVD from TV. Not VHS>DVD, as it lacked any sort of TBC needed, and often failed. Most recorders were also terrible quality, so the DVD looked worse than the already-crappy VHS tape.

So to answer the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolinsmile View Post
What is the best VCR DVD Combo? Any suggestion...
Q: Which recorder?
A: None.

Get a separate known-good S-VHS VCR (including the JVC S-VHS combo units, used just for VCR).
And then get a known-good LSI-based DVD recorder.

The only exception is with extreme quality master tapes, pro VHS or S-VHS cameras, often SP mode only. Home camcorders were far too unstable at recordings for most combo decks.

Or capture lossless to computer.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Thanks for advice! I also researched some articles and blogs in google and found this review

Code:
webproductradar.com/best-vcr-dvd-combo
Perhaps, I decided what I need.
10-12-2020, 10:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolinsmile View Post
and found this review
That's not a review.
It's just an affiliate splog (spam blog) of items still sold on Walmart and Amazon.
That page is 100% worthless.
The pros/cons are laughably inept stupidity.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs