digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   DataVideo TBC 1000/3000 to-do/not-to-do warnings? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/10955-datavideo-tbc-1000-a.html)

Nunkin 09-02-2020 03:57 PM

DataVideo TBC 1000/3000 to-do/not-to-do warnings?

I'm about to get a DataVideo TBC 1000 or 3000. Any warnings / to-dos / not-to-dos that anyone can advise?

I have a surge protection power strip lined up for it as I assume it's delicate like any AV equipment.

Thanks!

TheVistaGroup 09-11-2020 10:48 PM

Do:
Keep out of direct sunlight
Use Y/C aka S-Video connections for video signal

Don't:
Expect it to fix flagging/vertical line distortion/waves/weirdness (that's what a full-frame TBC is for — found inside higher quality VCRs like mine, the Panasonic AG-1980 refurb by Tom Grant)

Congrats on your decision to purchase a good external TBC!

lordsmurf 09-12-2020 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunkin (Post 71201)
I'm about to get a DataVideo TBC 1000 or 3000. Any warnings / to-dos / not-to-dos that anyone can advise?

Where did you buy it?

One of the 1st warnings is to not buy from eBay. More and more dud units are popping up on there. The sellers are almost never video savvy, and just selling unknown-condition units. All those sellers see is $$$$ and don't understand (or care) about the condition of the unit. A recent report (member story to me via PM) was about how the seller sent it with no padding, it arrived broken in an undamaged box, then the seller tried to fight an eBay return. The situation required almost daily communication for almost a month. What a hassle!

Just in the past 2 months, I've probably had 4 reports of problem units. Since start of the year, at least 10. That's a huge uptick % considering how few are even available for sale these days. I don't know what dumpster these units are being dredged from, but it's not pretty.

Quote:

I have a surge protection power strip lined up for it as I assume it's delicate like any AV equipment.
No, no, NO! :no2:

That will not suffice. A UPS is required. These units do not have any sort of fuse/protection against power loss, overage, underrage. Those silly little "surge" strips do nothing, not protection whatsoever.

Something like this is best: https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...language=en_US
Cheaper units exists, but do not get the weakest basic unit. The battery on it will fail before you can shut everything off. Cyberpower is better than APC in 2010s/202s (in the 2000s, it was opposite, APC was best, so disregard old posts on UPS, even mine).

A single power loss while the unit is in use could render your $1k+ item inert ... forever. :mad4:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVistaGroup (Post 71405)
Do:
Keep out of direct sunlight

Do not get wet.
Do not feed after midnight. :laugh:

Quote:

Don't:
Expect it to fix flagging/vertical line distortion/waves/weirdness (that's what a full-frame TBC is for — found inside higher quality VCRs like mine, the Panasonic AG-1980 refurb by Tom Grant)
Line, not full-frame. :wink2:
I know you know that, just slip of the tongue keyboard.

BTW, that AG-1980 is actually field TBC, essentially multi-line. It's not necessarily better than line TBC, just slightly different.

Quote:

Congrats on your decision to purchase a good external TBC!
Yes. :congrats:

Nunkin 10-23-2020 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71408)
Where did you buy it?

I actually did buy the TBC-1000 on E-bay, but from a reputable seller (VCRShop in the Netherlands). It came with more padding than I have ever seen on any item, in the original box, with foam protection. Any question I had for the seller was answered promptly within 24hrs at worst, but mostly within 2hrs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 71408)
That will not suffice. A UPS is required. These units do not have any sort of fuse/protection against power loss, overage, underrage. Those silly little "surge" strips do nothing, not protection whatsoever.

Ok thank you very much.

Thank you both! I'm excited!