digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Upscaling VHS before or after capture, which is best? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/11110-upscaling-vhs-before.html)

BIGMEDIADINO 10-23-2020 08:15 AM

Upscaling VHS before or after capture, which is best?

I do Video Editing and Motion Graphics, and have recently added some hardware to my practice because I love the warmth and texture that older formats can offer.

The only issue I'm having is I often have to deliver work in a HD resolution, and I can only capture at SD at the moment. I know alot of people on here aren't fans of upscaling, but maybe you'll have some tips that could help me!

My setup currently looks like this:

I create my graphics in Adobe After effects or Premiere, and then export it PAL using my Blackmagic intensity shuttle, which allows me to run it through a composite cable.

From here, I either record it onto VHS using my Panasonic DMR-EZ45V (sometimes more than once if i want to degrade further). Or I use circuit bent equipment, which allows me to beautifully destroy the video signal slightly.

I then, run that through my Panasonic WJ-AVE5 Video Mixer, which has Frame Sync TBC, that stabilises the signal.

Then I run that into my Panasonic DMR-EZ45V, and record either onto VHS or DVD. And finally I use my Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle to capture again.

I'm wondering if there's something I can add to the chain to upscale before capture? (my VCR has inbuilt upscaling, but the intensity shuttle doesn't work with the HDMI from my VCR for some reason). Or would it I have more luck improving my method of capture, so I have better luck with digital upscaling.

I know what you're thinking. Why am I actively "messying" the signal if I want it to be cleaner upon capture? There's a lot of creative things you can do with analogue video, and the applications of these are infinite. Some of the effects aren't that noisey when they're being previewed on CRT screens, so any way I can reduce the noise in capture, and retain quality so it can be scale up to 1080p would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

lordsmurf 10-23-2020 09:46 AM

You need to capture SD, process HD in software. The best upscale isn't nonsense "AI" software, but rather Avisynth. Upscaling to 720p is the most you should go. QTGMC (not preset=slower) + the upscale.

If you insist on 1080p, it need to be done separate again post-720, run it again to 1080.

You need to realize lots of cleaning and sharpening must also happen, also Avisynth, otherwise it will just look terrible. This isn't something you can do in After Effects or an NLE.

The VCR is incredibly important here, balance of sharpness without oversharpening. The Panasonic AG-1980P, JVC 9800, etc.

A detailer also helps, can tweak signal sharper pre-capture.

You must use TBCs, but line and field.

Blackmagic cards are not good to use here. You need a quality SD card.

Do not use composite whatsoever. This must be s-video.

There are some Faroujda upscaler devices, but I wouldn't suggest those anymore.

BIGMEDIADINO 10-23-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 72317)
You need to capture SD, process HD in software. The best upscale isn't nonsense "AI" software, but rather Avisynth. Upscaling to 720p is the most you should go. QTGMC (not preset=slower) + the upscale.

If you insist on 1080p, it need to be done separate again post-720, run it again to 1080.

You need to realize lots of cleaning and sharpening must also happen, also Avisynth, otherwise it will just look terrible. This isn't something you can do in After Effects or an NLE.

The VCR is incredibly important here, balance of sharpness without oversharpening. The Panasonic AG-1980P, JVC 9800, etc.

A detailer also helps, can tweak signal sharper pre-capture.

You must use TBCs, but line and field.

Blackmagic cards are not good to use here. You need a quality SD card.

Do not use composite whatsoever. This must be s-video.

There are some Faroujda upscaler devices, but I wouldn't suggest those anymore.

Hi Smurf,

Thanks for the reply, helpful as always.

As far as capturing goes, I'd like to upgrade from my intensity shuttle, I don't have enough money to build a dedicated rig yet, but I have a free PCI-E slot in my editing rig, Any recommendations on cards / software?

Also any recommended detailers, so I can get an idea for how much i need to budget.

Finally, i've read a bit about AviSynth and VirtualDub, on a few posts you've made in the past, I've never used them, but if you know any good material for a beginner that you could point me in the direction, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for the help!

latreche34 10-23-2020 12:51 PM

I would say go for 1080p if online sharing is the goal, There isn't any 720p displays available nowadays, So any HD or 4K TV or monitor will have to hardware re-upscale from 720p to 1080p anyway so may as well do it in software at the source, 1280x720 was a stupid way to transition from SD to HD on a budget, it should have never existed.