06-29-2021, 10:35 AM
Free Member

I know the TBC 1000 is the much preferred TBC for VCR capture. This is just an idea I had after I looked at the SE-500. It actually has a full frame 4:2:2 TBC built in with quad sync since it has 4 composite or SVHS inputs on it. Using it strictly as a pass through with one input, the quad sync really has no significance. Seems like this may be a good source for a TBC since it is built for S-Video. Never tried it, but would like to. Has anyone else tried using the SE-500 like this? It would also allow different VCR's for a max of 4 to be connected and be able to switch between them for capture easily.

Also, it looks like the SE-800 would also work. Basically the same switcher but has firewire inputs and outputs. Also, it allows you to adjust the sync between video and audio, and has a proc amp for the TBC.

Thanks,
M. Davis
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-30-2021, 09:48 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
No, it does not.

These units are based on the latter generation weaker "blue box" TBCs designed specifically for studio sources (mostly BetacamSP), in a mixed-source analog+digital workflow. B-roll broadcast tapes, live DV or DigiBeta camera mixing.

Not consumer videotape formats like VHS and Hi8.

Some tapes will surely work, mostly pristine SP master copies from S-VHS cameras and VCRs. But any standard dirty signal issues from average tapes will make it choke.

The SE-500/800 have nothing in common with TBC-1000/3000/etc.

Remember that "TBC" is a wide term, and what matters with consumer videotapes is that you get a TBC design for videotapes. (But also not one based on flawed chipsets.)

I know what you're doing. You're desperately looking for cheaper alternatives. You're at least 5 years behind me. I already ran down every possible alternative that I could find. The "blue box" DataVideos were some of the first items I tried, low-hanging fruit in the video gear garden.

At best, you can put the ES10/15 in front of "blue box" DataVideos, which then creates a true TBC(ish) combo. The Es10/15 alone has a high fail rate, too many errors pass, and the line TBC is both strong+crippled. The weaker frame TBC of the "blue box" SE/DVK/5000 works good when the signal is pre-processed with the ES10/15 (the JVC S-VHS line TBC is hit-or-miss), and the ES10/15 has rough edges removed by the DataVideo. Of course, you get the ES10/15 downsides, and the "blue box" units have slight downsides as well.

The ideal choice is an actual TBC designed for videotapes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs