digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VHS/8mm capture setup VirtualDub delayed audio? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12118-vhs-8mm-capture.html)

BigMae1 08-26-2021 03:40 PM

VHS/8mm capture setup VirtualDub delayed audio?

Hello. I am currently struggling on what to do in terms of my capture setup. The audio is out of sync with the video and I'm pretty sure my recording setup is all wrong. I am looking to maybe redo the entire setup or change what is needed.

What I'm trying to do is capture / record both VHS and 8mm (Sony Handycam) tapes.

Setup:
HonestTech VIDBOX VHS to DVD
Panasonic PV-8661 VCR (stereo)
Sony Handycam CCD TR-614

PC:
Xeon X3470 (4 core 8 thread) should be fast enough?
8GB RAM
GTX 550 TI
Running Windows 10

Process:
Recording straight from the VIDBOX device straight to VirtualDub
Copying to my main (much faster PC) over a network share to deinterlace using Yadif and Virtualdub
Then compressing with HandBrake to MP4 so the file is a normal size (still maintaining 60FPS after Yadif deinterlace)

Any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

BigMae1 08-26-2021 03:42 PM

I should add, the parts for the Windows 10 recording machine were just parts I had laying around I figured would work to throw together a machine for the project. Were not parts I picked and bought.

themaster1 08-26-2021 04:28 PM

Are you talking of a simple offset audio delay or a progressive delay (gets bigger over time) which will be more complicate to deal with.

quick fixes:
1-Try to capture the sound without compression(pcm or wav)
2-Don't do any real-time video or audio processing (filters or convert to h264/265) is my advice.
3-windows 10 is known to have lots of tasks in the background running, try to disable all

BigMae1 08-26-2021 04:35 PM

I believe it's an offset audio delay, as you see someone's mouth move and then hear them talk a few seconds later. Am also having some video issues when it comes to the 8mm tapes.

dpalomaki 08-26-2021 06:39 PM

While it may not apply to your situation, be aware that video and audio paths that are not integrated can have different latencies that will cause the sound to break lip sync.

For example, my HDMI video output to a TV has perfect sound sync in the TV and if I monitor the TV sound output; however, if I listen to the sound from the PC's audio output port it is out of sync with the TV image by perhaps 0.5 sec.

We could use more information on the files/file types you have, and how you are playing and monitoring their playback to asses sound sync.

windchaser 08-27-2021 02:31 AM

From my experience, the synch issues might happen because there are dropouts in the original recording. So twice that themaster1 already said, Win10 might be overloaded while you're running VirtualDub. Have you tried to run the task manager to check how your processor is doing?

RobustReviews 08-27-2021 03:24 AM

I've had this, and it was a simple yet infuriating fix.

In VirtualDub try switching off any audio monitoring, and keep the preview quality down.

My experience is that audio preview can cause massive lag and dropped frames.

Might be worth a shot if you've not tried it?