12-08-2021, 03:54 PM
Free Member

Hello guys, so I can pick between these two capture cards but I am not sure which one is better for me.

I just want sharp, nice image, 60fps videos, I am not planning to do this professionally, hence why I am choosing between these two. Which one can deliver more quality?

My tools are:
(PAL)
Sony CCD-TRV78E
Sony CCD-TRV65E
Sony CCD-TRV46E

(NTSC)
Sony CCD-TRV118

Also I am using Windows 10 Pro on both of my computers

Can you guys help me out pick the best capture card? I heard these two are alright for the price and everything, as far as USB capture cards go.

Planning to use them with VirtualDub and all the good stuff!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by ButchRobinson; 12-08-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-09-2021, 05:00 AM
Free Member

Comparison and examples here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...usb2-live.html

If you choose Hauppauge USB Live-2 do not use VirtualDub on Windows10, but AmarecTV otherwise you'll have asynchronous audio/video.

lineTBC and Y/C output in VCR required! (or some DVD Recorder in passthrough mode)

12-09-2021, 06:19 AM
Free Member

Just ran across an Hauppauge WinTv PVR USB2. Would that be a better choice than the USB Live 2?
12-09-2021, 07:20 AM
Free Member

I do not think so, you want a lossless capture

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
12-09-2021, 07:29 AM
Free Member

Ok, got it! So the USB Live2 has lossless capture. I think I will go with this one and see how it goes.

Just saw your videos on YouTube and subscribed. I love how the tapes look. Unfortunately I don't have a JVC VCR . I do have an AIWA DVD / VHS Combo but use it for recording on VHS Tapes from Digital.

I read almost everything about the Elgato and Hauppauge and honestly I didn't know which one to get. It feels like I have to purchase them both and see for myself how they look, but for now I think I will go with the Hauppauge.
12-09-2021, 08:01 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Just saw your videos on YouTube and subscribed. I love how the tapes look.
In reality, only few of them are raw captures. The most are there to highlight common problems while capturing and restoring
12-23-2021, 04:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Why are you only choosing between these two cards? If the reason is "because it's sold new on Amazon", that's not a good reason.

The Hauppauge Live2 is like the VC500, as both cards are variable. Both in video performance, and in overall workability. There are easier cards to deal with. As far as I'm concerned, AmarecTV is really quite lousy capture software. Not bad/unusable, but simply not VirtualDub level quality. I don't think the tradeoff is worth it.

Elgato earned the nickname "Elcrapo", and nothing more really needs to be said about it. Bad quality, bad usage experience.

If you don't have a ES10/15 at minimum (~$125), for passthrough (VCR > ES10/15 > card) with your lower end VCR, you're wasting your time with bad captures. Far better quality is of course had with JVC/Panasonic S-VHS decks (with line TBC). But ES10/15 is better than nothing.

Hauppauge made a lot of PVR-style cards, and most are locked to that function. In the USB era, it's overall a lousy brand, mostly bad cards, with a few good cards.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-23-2021, 04:49 PM
Free Member

Hey man thanks for your feedback, I decided to go with Hauppauge Usb live 2 and I love it. I forgot to mention that i am not 100% into capturing VHS footage as higher in quality as it can be but more like the reverse actually haha, I am an digital artist and I love working with VHS and Hi8 Camcorders.

I love to glitch out and make videos and artworks that have that old retro aesthetic, therefore sometimes having bad glitched out quality does the trick.

However, I needed something that could really get me a sharp image out of my videos without losing the quality. Hauppage really does an amazing job for what it is, I don't need anything more than this I believe, I have an old crappy AIWA that I am recording my VHS, and my good old Sony CCD TRVs. The fun fact is I also love the interlaced scalines the capture card gives me. I don't know how to explain it but I love it.

I am more than happy with what I paid for and the only downside I have with it is that sometimes when I am pausing and trying to glitch the video it loses the signal and freezes the video feedback, but all in all this is what I have been looking for
12-23-2021, 06:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Ah, a digital artist.

You know, you're the sort of person who should get my extra (and cheap!) black AVT-8710 clone, listed in the marketplace. It's why I'm holding onto it, so that a digital video artist can get it. It will frame TBC, but without correcting too much, and may actually add some unique errors for you.

The glitch/freeze issue is lack of frame TBC.

With your low-end deck (that Aiwa is interesting, good choice for you), TRV camera, my TBC, and that capture card, you'd have a perfect artistic setup. You will run into dropped frames problems without a frame TBC, and it does NOT add to the art. It takes away from it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-24-2021, 01:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
However, I needed something that could really get me a sharp image out of my videos without losing the quality. Hauppage really does an amazing job for what it is
Excellent, this is what really matters.

You probably could get a better starting point for your "creations" with a high end VCR, but as long as you are satisfied your achievement is ok

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN

Tags
capture card