Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-08-2022, 10:30 PM
Free Member

Ending up having a hell of a summer and wasn't able to work on any of this video stuff... but I've started the process up again tonight and did my first capture with the Hauppauge Live2 USB. Recording went smoothly with zero dropped frames. I did a recording using the JVC DR M100 DVD Recorder to compare against, both with pass through from the Panasonic DMR ES-10.

Just finished the Live2 USB recording and the main issue I've noticed so far is there is quite a lot of noise in the audio track. Typical VHS noise, but this tape is in good shape, my VCR heads are clean and I have not had this noise issue using any of my DVD recorders for the same tape.. that's 3 different DVD recorders and none have picked up this noise which is constant and distracting on the Live2 USB recording.

Will have to do some recordings of different tapes to see if its always present or what.. but I'll get some clips made of the different recordings to post for the sake of reference.

-- merged --

Ok, here are a couple comparison clips of transfers:

VCR: JVC HR-S3500U SVHS using S-Video connection

One transfer is using the JVC DR-M100SU DVD Recorder
Other transfer is using the Hauppauge USB-Live 2

Both of these recordings had the video signal passed through the Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder to apply its TBC function to the video

The only issue I had with the Hauppauge is the presence of audio noise in the right channel that sounds similar to audio noise during tracking, and its present through the whole recording and quite loud. It seems to be just this VHS tape but I have not gotten this audio noise problem when I record the tape off to 3 different DVD recorders... strange.

Since the lossless avi clips are quite large, I have encoded all clips to x264 to reduce size and also correctly display AR/cropped out the black. I haven't filtered the picture or anything otherwise and used sufficiently high bitrate to where quality shouldn't be affected. I don't know if anyone really cares to see these comparisons at this point or not, if anyone wants uncompressed clips for comparison I can provide them

Attached Files
File Type: mkv clip2-neon-Hauppauge USB-Live2.mkv (18.12 MB, 17 downloads)
File Type: mkv clip2-neon-JVC DR-M100.mkv (11.72 MB, 14 downloads)
File Type: mkv clip3-boobs-Hauppauge USB-Live2.mkv (34.12 MB, 16 downloads)
File Type: mkv clip3-boobs-JVC DR-M100.mkv (19.72 MB, 15 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-12-2022, 07:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
One transfer is using the JVC DR-M100SU DVD Recorder
How did you do this? Transfer via a DVD?
10-12-2022, 07:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
How did you do this? Transfer via a DVD?
Yeah, its a DVD Recorder. From what I've read its supposed to be one of the best, or maybe the best DVD recorder for transferring VHS tapes because of the chip. That one is just recorded to DVDR, passed through the Panasonic as well.

-- merged --

I should also mention the clips are from a 1999 movie "The Apartment Complex" and the VHS release is a very cheap, shoddy release with a lot of problems in the video. So if anyone's looking at these clips for an idea on the recording quality of the equipment, that should be factored in.

I will be transferring some other tapes, if there's any interest I can post more example clips from different sources
The following users thank autephex for this useful post: Hushpower (10-12-2022)
10-13-2022, 02:41 AM
Free Member

The videos have been compressed, so I do not know if the comparison is fully appropriate. In addition the USB-Live 2 capture has been downsampled to YV12.

I can comment that Hauppauge capture is nice for details, colors and overall look; the levels are well distributed (and do not present the classic "spiky" histograms because the post-processing operation).
haup_hist.jpg

The levels of JVC capture are shifted-up compared to USB-Live 2, and extends in Y higher levels, if you need a 16-235 range for whatever reason you need to shrink them.
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

I did not equalize the levels to USB-Live 2 for the comparison, here is some sample:

https://imgsli.com/MTI5OTA3 use fullscreen and zoom

https://imgsli.com/MTI5OTQ3 use fullscreen and zoom

The is some ugly image distorsion in JVC capture in the lower part of the gate in the background, easibly seen when sliding the images in the above comparison; it should not be related to its original MPEG-2 compression, and I ignore the reason for it.
jvc_hist.jpg

There are inserted and dropped frames in JVC capture in the second clip (I did not check intensively the first).

About your audio noise problem with a specific tape, I do not know what to say, I never had a significant problem with USB-Live 2 capturing the audio. If you experience that the audio recorded by the JVC is better, than you can try to mix it to the USB-Live 2 video, but be careful of the dropped/inserted frames in the first.

An AviSynth denoise/sharpening post-processing on the USB-Live 2 capture can improve a bit.

And finally, if if wish to redo the comparisons, do it on original captures, and eventually equalize the levels to have a better reference. Also an

10-13-2022, 04:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,442 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
I can comment that Hauppauge capture is nice for details, colors and overall look; the levels are well distributed (and do not present the classic "spiky" histograms because the post-processing operation).
I don't agree. It's just a decent capture, but has flaws. You won't really get a flawless capture, and have to choose what flaws are acceptable. The Live2 loses details in shadows, dark areas. The color are not rich, and may actually undersaturate if contrast is lowered. Not a bad capture, but certainly not perfect.

Quote:
The levels of JVC capture are shifted-up compared to USB-Live 2, and extends in Y higher levels, if you need a 16-235 range for whatever reason you need to shrink them.
Yep, the IRE for most recorders is off a bit. The JVC is about +5 hot. But of all the recorders, only referring to tape transfer quality, it is the best ever made. (For off-air, RCA with Zoran chip is best. When chroma noise is fully removed, image not bad in the slightest, the Zoran RCA also great for tapes. But that's mostly for broadcast masters, not homemade anything.)

Quote:
The is some ugly image distorsion in JVC capture in the lower part of the gate in the background, easibly seen when sliding the images in the above comparison; it should not be related to its original MPEG-2 compression, and I ignore the reason for it.
I doubt it's in the MPEG, just the compressed clip.

Quote:
There are inserted and dropped frames in JVC capture in the second clip (I did not check intensively the first).
Note that it could have happened anywhere, including the software conversion from MPEG. Not all encoders read MPEG properly. So full info on workflow, hardware and software, is required. Cannot assume anything here.

Quote:
About your audio noise problem with a specific tape, I do not know what to say, I never had a significant problem with USB-Live 2 capturing the audio.
It can happen on Hauppauge cards. (As I always state, Live2 is a long lived model, with production changes both in-card and on-chip. Conexant hasn't existed for many years now, and yet the Live2 is still sold. It's not all NOS. So some buyers of that card, seeking quality, will be SOL.) Conexant was never known for quality audio processing, a reason Realtek overtook it for embedded motherboard audio.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-13-2022, 04:49 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I don't agree. It's just a decent capture, but has flaws. You won't really get a flawless capture, and have to choose what flaws are acceptable. The Live2 loses details in shadows, dark areas. The color are not rich, and may actually undersaturate if contrast is lowered. Not a bad capture, but certainly not perfect.
I don't agree. The final quality depends on the tape, not on the USB-Live 2, which is an excellent devices. And for this tape the winner between the Hauppauge and the best ever dvd recorder JVC is clear.

Quote:
I doubt it's in the MPEG, just the compressed clip.
Let's see the uncompressed capture to understand.

Quote:
Note that it could have happened anywhere, including the software conversion from MPEG.
Let's see the uncompressed capture to understand.

Quote:
As I always state, Live2 is a long lived model, with production changes both in-card and on-chip.
Once more, there are no evidence of production changes both in-card and on-chip. And BTW, the OP problem only relates to 1 single tape, which can be marginal.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
10-13-2022, 11:46 AM
Free Member

I will post up some different, very short clips that are uncompressed - they will have to be extremely short because the clips I posted here all exceed the size limit for the uncompressed lossless avi capture from the USB Live2. The uncompressed mpeg isn't a problem for size, but the lossless avi is quite large.

Yes, the audio problem so far is limited to just this tape - at least based on my *limited* testing. I have only popped in a couple other tapes to check and they so far have not had this audio issue. But I can't get rid of it for this particular tape. I will sync the DVDR recording audio instead, which isn't a problem for me as I do audio syncs regularly for years... I just don't want to have to do this every time I make a recording. I've also tried moving the VCR and changing power outlets in case its some kind of interference, no luck. The audio from the USB Live2 is actually quite good aside from this noise - it is much more clear and crisp than the DVDR. I haven't tried to rerecord the tape to DVDR again, so perhaps the noise would appear on DVDR now if I tried (maybe the tape has somehow degraded, although seems unlikely)

This movie varies in how bad certain issues are - outside daylight scenes look awful and I didn't post any of those clips. After comparing many different scenes, the USB-Live 2 wins for me by quite a lot in overall perceived quality

I wasn't sure how much people would still be interested in these clips - I can post some different tapes if there is interest. I also have this same tape recorded by the ES10 if that's of interest for comparison

Also, regarding inserted frames - it could be that when I encoded the clips to x264 I left the framerate at 29 instead of doing an IVTC to get it back to 23.976, which has worked very well for this recording.
10-13-2022, 12:30 PM
Free Member

Quote:
The audio from the USB Live2 is actually quite good aside from this noise
Maybe user hodgey can help you there, he was referring to a "audio/control head that picks up the tracking signal from the tape, or something electronically with the servo circuitry" in this post: https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr...html#post87137, and maybe the better defined audio of the USB-Live 2 is revealing it. Just a guess.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: autephex (10-13-2022)
10-13-2022, 01:42 PM
Free Member

Ok here's a variety of clips that are untouched aside from clipping them out. I haven't done anything to them. I tried to get a decent assortment of different light/dark levels

I didn't realize originally that you are only limited to the size upload per upload, I thought it was the total attachment size. So if some of the clips are too short to use properly, let me know

Attached Files
File Type: m2v labcoats-JVC-uncompress.m2v (3.72 MB, 3 downloads)
File Type: avi labcoats-USB2-uncomp.avi (41.97 MB, 6 downloads)
File Type: m2v neon-JVC-uncompressed.m2v (2.06 MB, 5 downloads)
File Type: avi neon-USB2_uncompress.avi (27.66 MB, 8 downloads)
File Type: m2v nightwalk-JVC-uncompress.m2v (3.57 MB, 4 downloads)
File Type: avi nightwalk-USB2-uncomp.avi (53.20 MB, 4 downloads)
File Type: m2v outsideday-JVC-uncompress.m2v (6.96 MB, 5 downloads)
File Type: avi outsideday-USB2-uncomp.avi (88.51 MB, 3 downloads)
10-14-2022, 04:40 AM
Free Member

The new raw samples confirm the previous impressions, and the differences are even more evident.

I quickly equalize the brightness, and the details are different in the JVC capture:
jvc2a.png

The image comparison here: https://imgsli.com/MTMwMDc4

The distortion is not present in the new JVC sample, it was probably due to a bad postprocessing: https://imgsli.com/MTMwMDM0

Thanks for your samples, and good luck with your captures!

Attached Images
File Type: png haupp2.png (684.6 KB, 3 downloads)
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: autephex (10-14-2022)
10-14-2022, 11:46 AM
Free Member

Very keen eye, lollo2. Thanks for sharing the comparison. The USB Live2 looks better to me just on initial glance overall, but I hadn't noticed those levels of difference when zoomed in on the detail

-- merged --

I've done a little more testing and I think the audio noise issue I was having is mostly fixed by fine adjustments on the manual tracking. Although the tracking seemed to be set well, hitting the tracking button a few times seems to find a magic spot for the audio where it mostly avoids the noise. So it seems it was not an issue with the USB Live2, just for reference

-- merged --

Ok, I'm capturing a new tape and its very dark so I have to make some levels adjustments. I've been experimenting with the best way to do this and wanted to try just using the Proc Amp settings available in the USB Live2 Input Device Settings (it has brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, sharpness in the proc amp settings)

When I adjust in the settings, it clearly shows the changes in the preview window but when I hit capture to start recording, the capture display resets to the default values and it ignores the proc amp settings entirely. It doesn't actually reset the settings, because they remain the same, it just captures at the default settings regardless.

I'm using AmarecTV 3.10 and after a little searching, it seems I'm not the only one to encounter this:
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...ive2-proc.html
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...Dub-Don-t-Work

Doesn't look like a solution was ever figured out.

Any chance you know what is going on here, lollo2?

I know levels can be adjusted in Avisynth, but I find it easier to do it via the Proc Amp in the initial capture, if possible (or at least get it in the ballpark)
10-16-2022, 05:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I know levels can be adjusted in Avisynth
That's different. The procamp setting prior to capturing are to avoid to crush the blacks, because the USB-Live can only capture 16-254 range.
With AmarecTV it works for me: h.avi

If you experience a reset of your settings when you start recording, try to use GraphStudioNext: open the program, load the filter "Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture", go to the procamp menu and set the values. Then start the capture.

You can also use the AviSynth histograms before capturing to check the setting on a significant segment of the video, which is a wonderful feature: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...TV#post2614699

And you can also capture with GraphStudioNext building a dedicated graph, but that's another story, and the audio/video synch only relies on the presence of the coming audio and video frames at the right time, so if there is any dropped frame, the capture will be asynch:
cattura.jpg

10-16-2022, 05:42 PM
Free Member

Quote:
If you experience a reset of your settings when you start recording, try to use GraphStudioNext: open the program, load the filter "Hauppauge Cx23100 Video Capture", go to the procamp menu and set the values. Then start the capture.
Ah, that worked great. Thanks! I'm not sure why I can't use the settings in AmarecTV but as soon as I close the settings menu, the capture window goes black for a second and the picture resets to the default values. The Procamp settings are still where I set them, but its not applied. In any case, looks like GraphStudioNext will do the job

I'll also have to play with viewing the Histogram levels in Avisynth for the captures to get everything right. Thanks for the tip
10-16-2022, 09:10 PM
Free Member

Lollo, is it valid to use the Virtual Dub histogram to set the levels, then capture with AmarecTV (if necessary, using Graphstudio)?
10-17-2022, 02:44 AM
Free Member

Sure, you can fix the levels with Virtualdub Histogram utilty, and apply the values later in Amarec.

The AviSynth Histogram approach should also work with VirtualDub (I never tried), allowing a more detailed analysis; but it is only a nice to have feature, not strictly necessary.

The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: Hushpower (10-17-2022)
10-17-2022, 11:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

You need to understand (or remember) certain aspects of AmaRecTV

It was newer software, only around for about 6 years (late 00s to 2013/4). Far fewer people used it. So it never had the bugs sorted out like the VirtualDub capturing function. And it has MANY issues. When it works, it (usually) works well. But more often it doesn't. It hates quite a few capture cards too, so the scope was always narrow, probably mostly focused on cards available in Japan in the late 2000s (ie, not too many).

The dropped frames issue needs further study. I'm not convinced that it magically doesn't drop frames, as compared to VirtualDub. The more likely issue is in how drops are reported, at best how badly timed frames are handled. It's not magic, something is going on there, and to date nobody has explained it (because nobody probably knows how). Remember, you can easily make VirtualDub "not drop frames" by simply ticking those two upper timing settings, which essentially just disables the reporting.

AmaRecTV mostly works with several Hauppage cards, Japanese cards, and maybe something like the VC500 (which is a crappy card, AGC issues).

So if it works for the basic functions as needed, and you're not seeing dropped/duped frames (LOOK FOR THEM!), then don't push your luck. Those "other features" of the software are not suggested. Proc amp controls in-card are already digital, so you can just do it in software later anyway (and probably much better than the weak AmaRecTV controls), it's not an actual analog domain proc amp.

10-17-2022, 02:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
You need to understand (or remember) certain aspects of AmaRecTV
Quote:
And it has MANY issues.
Well, I think that you have to understand AmaRecTV. I won't comment any aspect of your reply, complete non sense

10-17-2022, 02:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Well, I think that you have to understand AmaRecTV. I won't comment any aspect of your reply, complete non sense
No, not at all. I'm just acknowledging weaknesses, flaws, and letting others know.

When it comes to this software, do try it if needed, but proceed with caution. It's not the best software, but has narrow uses, not too different from other aspects of video hardware and software.

What I don't want to read is cheerleader-like glowing gushing praises, as it doesn't deserve that whatsoever. Realism needed. I do this with anything, be it JVC VCRs, ATI AIW cards, or various TBCs. It ain't all roses. When things get a bit too rosy, time for a douse of cold water, back to reality. That's what keeps you grounded, when it comes to ... well, anything, really. But for sure SD analog video capture. I get tired of seeing undeserved over-the-top praises for JVC 9800 decks, TBC-1000, etc. These are tools, not lovers you're trying to bed.

Understanding is knowing.

^ and I surely stole that from a 1980s cartoon!

10-17-2022, 03:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
What I don't want to read is cheerleader-like glowing gushing praises
Nobody did about this topic, in this thread or others.

What I read, on the other hand, are non sense comments about unknown issues, dropped frames assumptions never rised and out of contest, confusion about procamp setting of the card mixed with the capture software capabilities, AmarecTV nice for Hauppauge cards while in the last days we had 3 ATI USB users solving problems with it, and so on. There is enough.

Today is not your best "posting" day, LS, it happens sometimes (not stolen from any cartoon )

10-17-2022, 03:59 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Nobody did about this topic, in this thread or others.
Perhaps. But I feel a vibe of it, as interpreted by novices, even if not stated outright by older members. Video newbies dart about too much at times, seeking quick answers, not fully vetting everything from top to bottom. As mentioned, douse of cold water, slow down, understand, read, proceed carefully, not magic.

Quote:
non sense comments about unknown issues, dropped frames
Not nonsense. I was very clear. If you can explain the "no drops with AmaRecTV, but drops with VirtualDub", then please feel free to do so. I've yet to read anything where this has been addressed. Drops happen for a reason, generally in hardware. Software more often fails to report drops, not somehow prevent or avoid drops. We know this fact. What we don't know is what AmaRecTV is doing.

Quote:
Today is not your best "posting" day, LS, it happens sometimes (not stolen from any cartoon )
Perhaps.
But I don't know about the toons thing. I'm not sure Megatron never uttered "Today is not your best Prime".

Tags
capture, hauppauge 610 usb live-2, vhs