digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Getting Aja Kona LSe working with Windows 10? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/12911-aja-kona-lse.html)

Qaenos 08-05-2022 09:33 AM

Getting Aja Kona LSe working with Windows 10?

Anyone able to get Aja Kona LSe working under Windows 10? I've tried both the legacy Windows driver for the LSe and also the latest Kona Windows drivers (non LSe) and neither work.

-I don't see anything AJA as a capture option in VDub2.
-Aja Machina sees the card (calls it "Kona LS") but claims there is no input signal (when there is one, via the included breakout cable)
-Aja Control Panel doesn't see the card.

billuke 08-05-2022 11:39 AM

Hi,I use AJA Xena card with windows 10 for years and have no problems. Have you checked in your device manager and see if the kona is listed?
What inputs are there on the breakout cable,and what input are you using.
I don't think you can use anything but machina on that card to capture but could be wrong.

Qaenos 08-05-2022 12:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey thanks so much for responding, I really appreciate it. Here's some more info:

- Aja Kona appears in Device Manager. There is some "multimedia controller" also in device manager which does not have a driver and I do not know what it is. It may or may not be related. Screenshot of my device manager attached.

- Using a working Betamax (tested with Matrox MXO2) to output to Aja. Connected via S-Video breakout as shown in the attached images.

-I'm using Windows "v5.5" legacy drivers for the LSe that I downloaded today from Aja's support site.

-I'm running Windows 10 x64.

I should also add that while I have no idea which of the red/white is luma and which is chroma, I've swapped the red for the white into the Aja and neither makes a difference. Still no signal detected.

billuke 08-05-2022 02:15 PM

What connections are on that breakout cable? Have you tried composite out of the beta machine?
Another thing is I believe your settings in the AJA Machina have to match exactly what signal your beta is putting out. Don't use machina myself but it should be 720i setting I would say. Check those settings carefully as there are a bunch of options.

Did you re-boot your pc after installing the drivers? If not, could be an issue.

Qaenos 08-05-2022 02:25 PM

Unfortunately, I do not have a BNC composite cable to test. Just a S-Video breakout to BNC.

The weird thing is, I don't see any options for capture settings in Machina, in terms of signal. There are signal options for playback settings (which I assume are the analog/digital outputs) but nothing for capture. By signal I mean 480i, 480p, 1080p, etc. There are capture options for things like file type (AVI, MOV) etc., but not signal. Perhaps if it detected an input signal it would give me signal capture options?

billuke 08-05-2022 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am also assuming this aja card is a new addition to your setup?
Can you try a different pci lane in the pc.

Here's the cable diagram

Qaenos 08-07-2022 06:55 PM

Update:
  • I have the S-Video breakout going from the VCR into the Red/Blue Pb/Y,Pr/C "In" BNC connections on the included Aja breakout cable as shown in the attachment in the first post. I've swapped the red and white cables just in case I got them backwards and it doesn't make a difference. No input signal detected either way.
  • I tried other PCIe slots in my computer. Still no input signal detected.
  • I bought a new S-Video breakout cable just in case it was the cable. It wasn't. Still no input signal detected.

billuke 08-07-2022 08:56 PM

Try a vcr or DVD player with svideo out if you got one,or can borrow one.
Otherwise it's looking like you may have a bad card.

Qaenos 08-07-2022 09:22 PM

I've tried both my Beta and VHS VCRs, both with S Video out and neither of them work.

latreche34 08-07-2022 09:42 PM

What's the Aja Machina setting page looks like? Could you post a screenshot? I'm inclined to think this is an input selection miss-match. Things to put in mind, S-Video is Y and C, so they have to be connected correctly, they can't be reversed. The input in the software has to be set to Y/C not RGB, not Y/Pb/Pr.

Qaenos 08-07-2022 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what the setup screen looks like. There is no capture settings that I can see, only settings for the output.

I'm not sure which of the red or white cables is Y or C from the S-Video breakout cable, but I've swapped them back and forth into the Inputs of the Breakout cable and can't get an input signal recognized either way.

latreche34 08-07-2022 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the capture options and settings pages what left and right arrows do? They should bring more options. You have to find the input selection somehow.

Here is from the manual:

Quote:

Play/Io Express Status:
Click on the hot toggle buttons of the Status header to switch between Play Status and Io Express Board Status. Play Status reports current state of activity, play duration selected for the current playback, total number of frames in ( ), and lastly, the number of frames that may have been dropped. Io Express Status reports Active/Inactive status, Primary Format setting, Video Input type, and Audio Input type.
What do you have next to the red arrows?

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/atta...1&d=1659932240

Qaenos 08-11-2022 11:20 AM

Just got the third card off eBay today....and it works! Well, at least video. Audio is a problem atm but I'm sure I'll be able to get it going on my own.

Thanks everyone who responded. Cheers.

latreche34 08-11-2022 03:27 PM

You haven't answered my above post, The other cards are probably working just need to set the input.

Qaenos 08-11-2022 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 86363)
You haven't answered my above post, The other cards are probably working just need to set the input.

Yes, I did not realize that you had to hit the arrows to change from Play options to Input options. Thanks!