12-03-2022, 10:22 AM
Free Member

Hello, I have a Panasonic AG 1980p deck. For capture, I'm looking at picking up a used AJA Kona LHi or LHe Plus as it seems they both have S-Video (BNC) inputs on the breakout cable and are also Mac friendly.

1. How do I go from the s-video (4 pin) output on the deck to the s-video (BNC) inputs on the Kona?

2. The deck has two 'video' (BNC) outputs, are those composite or component? I didn't see anything in the manual.

3. If I am using the TBC on the deck, do you still need an external TBC?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-03-2022, 10:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townly View Post
3. If I am using the TBC on the deck, do you still need an external TBC?
Yes.
- line TBC and field TBC cleans the image, intraframe timing (in-frame)
- frame TBC cleans the signal, interframe timing (frame-to-frame)
You need both.

Where did you get the AG-1980 deck?

Be wary of buying TBCs from eBay, so many faulty units there, gamble that often loses now. The 2020s are not the 00s/10s anymore, TBC buying far riskier now, flawed and damaged models. Either that, or be prepared to spend another $500 or so to get it fixed, if it can be fixed.

s-video = separated video, Y + CrCb (PrPb)
BNC take the split signal, separates each to a wire. Just be aware most s-video<>BNC cables are crap these days, thin Chinese stuff, no shield to weak shielding, be careful with buying. Extron is not really worth the premium.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-03-2022, 11:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
2. The deck has two 'video' (BNC) outputs, are those composite or component? I didn't see anything in the manual.
They are composite video outputs.

As LS noted most BNC-to-SVIDEO adapters you can find on Amazon, etc., are cheaply made. At least they are short so they should work OK in a reasonably electrical noise-free environment.

If you are handy with tools you can make your own by sacrificing a s-video cable and soldering on BNC connectors.
12-03-2022, 02:16 PM
Free Member

Thanks. I bought the deck locally, seems to be working fine and playback looks good to my untrained eye at least.

Appreciate all the insight. Any thoughts on AJA cards? Seems like some folks have had success using them it seems. Not a lot of options for Mac.

Tags
bnc, kona, panasonic ag 1980, s video, tbc