Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-17-2023, 10:54 PM
Free Member

My current conversion/capture setup is VCR Component > PVR Component and it works well. But I am eager to 'upgrade' to VCR S-Video > PVR S-Video if possible.
I am not and do not want to use my PC, so not looking for Capture devices/setups involving a PC.

I've been looking for PVR models with S-Video input, but am having difficulty finding any. The closest models I found have either Composite and Component, but no S-Video?
I've tried looking into DVD with/HDD combos, but my findings seem to indicate that you can't access and transfer files from that HDD to the PC. (Short of ripping out the HDD from the player itself).

If PVRs aren't possible, I dread the thought of recording the DVD and then copying that DVD onto my PC...
Thanks in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-18-2023, 02:31 AM
Free Member

PVR's will record with compression and no image stabilization, They are not any better than a Chinese ClearClick video recorder to SD card.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
01-20-2023, 07:01 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
PVR's will record with compression and no image stabilization, They are not any better than a Chinese ClearClick video recorder to SD card.
I prefer a DVD recorder over this device...
01-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoskeleton View Post
My current conversion/capture setup is VCR Component > PVR Component and it works well. But I am eager to 'upgrade' to VCR S-Video > PVR S-Video if possible.
I am not and do not want to use my PC, so not looking for Capture devices/setups involving a PC.

I've been looking for PVR models with S-Video input, but am having difficulty finding any. The closest models I found have either Composite and Component, but no S-Video?
I've tried looking into DVD with/HDD combos, but my findings seem to indicate that you can't access and transfer files from that HDD to the PC. (Short of ripping out the HDD from the player itself).

If PVRs aren't possible, I dread the thought of recording the DVD and then copying that DVD onto my PC...
Thanks in advance.
You really mean "component" ? because… if this works, why should you want to go further with s-video ?
there's not much difference between them…. most cheap PVR's convert to h.264, the more expensive ones, also support ProRes or another editable format.
Further more you don't exactly mention what you are using, which doesn't give much clues to help you any further, if you want to do better than this expect to spend some money, otherwise send your analog media to a service that will do it for you.

btw. good source material will playback fine from DVD, VHS was never designed to be watched on a big screen….

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 01-20-2023 at 04:27 PM.
01-21-2023, 12:39 AM
Free Member

He means by component, composite yellow, and red & white for audio, It's often wrongly named by newbies as component because component use RCA connector too but in Red/Green/Blue.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
01-21-2023, 03:05 AM
Free Member

Quote:
VHS was never designed to be watched on a big screen….
But with a bit of effort and an average-to-good quality tape, it comes out great on a big TV.
01-21-2023, 04:27 AM
Free Member

Yes, that's what i mean, it's not that bad as some people say, also because a lot of lcd/oled tv's have bad composite decoding, putting it on DVD improves picture quality in that case, i noticed that on my Sony Bravia tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
He means by component, composite yellow, and red & white for audio, It's often wrongly named by newbies as component because component use RCA connector too but in Red/Green/Blue.
That's why the OP should give more detailed information, so we can leave out the guess-work, (hint for OP)
02-12-2023, 05:37 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
OP disappeared?
Just saw this thread still open in a tab, half typed response. May as well finish and submit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoskeleton View Post
But I am eager to 'upgrade' to VCR S-Video
Biggest quality gains come from quality VCR, ie JVC/Panasonic S-VHS VCR with line TBC.

Quote:
I've been looking for PVR models
What, exactly, are you referring to here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhAoS182 View Post
I prefer a DVD recorder over this device...
Literally anything is better than the ClearClick (earned nickname = ClearCrap or CrapClick), even the awful Easycap (Easycrap) is better. Yeah, it's just that awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
But with a bit of effort and an average-to-good quality tape, it comes out great on a big TV.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
Sony Bravia tv.
I still have a Bravia. It was a game changer in the late 2000s, as the filters on the HDTV made the image look better than the source. Many TVs still lack the post processing filters, but Sony was first to market with them, from what I remember. I won't get a set with post processing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
pvr, s-video