digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Samples of VHS, DV conversions? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/13383-samples-vhs-dv.html)

Ruby510 03-19-2023 03:50 PM

Samples of VHS, DV conversions?

Hello,

Could someone direct me to a post where I can find samples of completed VHS and mini-DV transfers? I'd like to confirm that my converted videos look and sound as good as they should by comparing them to others that have been done with quality in mind.

Second question - what is the best way to convert 8mm reels to digital? I believe it is frame by frame - is the Wolverine Pro recommended or do most professional conversion companies do a good job?

Thank you.

captainvic 03-20-2023 10:45 PM

Regarding 8mm and Super8 movie film, not all professional conversion companies are created equal. After trying a number of conversion houses around the country with various disappointing results, I found Cinepost in Marietta, GA. They are now my first and only choice. Go to their website and click "Samples." The Wolverine Moviemaker Pro pales in comparison.

Ruby510 03-21-2023 06:37 PM

Thank you! This is what I was thinking after getting some done by a service and them coming back with flickers and unnatural speed. I will check out Cinepost. Thank you for the info on Wolverine - glad I didn't waste money on it.

lordsmurf 03-21-2023 06:43 PM

Cinepost is not for the analog formats -- just the film. The analog process, as explained online, is not going to be quality at all, various DV conversions, no mention of TBCs, etc. I've looked at what they offer before.

Unfortunately, I just tried to go their site. It's 404. The 22-23 economy may have nuked them, as happened to most services in 08-09.

captainvic 03-21-2023 07:10 PM

Good point, LS. To clarify, Cinepost does excellent 8mm and Super8 film transfers. Their video transfers - notably consumer grade VHS transfers - do not follow the methods recommended here. They have transferred vintage U-matic videotapes for me with good results though.

Also, Cinepost is still in business. Their website has changed. Try a Google search for "Cinepost Marietta, GA" and you should find their new site.

timtape 03-21-2023 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby510 (Post 89719)
Thank you! This is what I was thinking after getting some done by a service and them coming back with flickers and unnatural speed. I will check out Cinepost. Thank you for the info on Wolverine - glad I didn't waste money on it.

Scanning home movie film so the digital copy is as good as the original film is possible these days but is actually quite difficult and requires skill and the right gear. Most vendors I know of cannot do it. (I'm a member of a vendors' forum and get to see some of their confidential scans of their customer's films). Some dedicated home hobbyists can get better results than most shops.

Some vendors offer to scan one small 8mm reel for little to no charge if they think it will likely lead to your entrusting many reels to them for scanning. You might choose one well shot small reel of yours with content unimportant to you (in case some vendors damage it) and hawk that same reel around to a few vendors. In this way you can directly compare each vendor's scan of the same material.

cbehr91 03-22-2023 10:34 AM

What's the opinion of Got Memories out of Arizona for films? They are fairly transparent with their conversion process via YouTube videos showing their processes.

Their methods of digitizing tapes is well below the standards of this site using consumer VCRs, no timebase correctors, Elgato USB sticks, etc. But coming from first hand experience of converting 8mm and Super 8 film with a Retro-8 from MovieStuff, my opinion of their film conversion process is more positive. While they don't do HD conversions (which IMO is overkill for film...especially 8mm); they use Tobin converters, clean the film beforehand, and will repair any bad splices.

timtape 03-22-2023 07:05 PM

Actually he does claim to do HD film conversions. But in line with the topic of this thread, "samples of conversions" I went to his website's FAQ's and found of the 8 "examples of our work" none would play. A message said "Facebook refuses to connect".

cbehr91 03-25-2023 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timtape (Post 89752)
Actually he does claim to do HD film conversions. But in line with the topic of this thread, "samples of conversions" I went to his website's FAQ's and found of the 8 "examples of our work" none would play. A message said "Facebook refuses to connect".

You're right. I guess he was testing one of those focuskye converters that you can get on a certain auction site, but never saw anything further about the results.

Hushpower 04-04-2023 08:18 AM

@Ruby, here's some examples of VHS captures:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...eo#post2654664