digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Windows 10 works for video capture? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/13533-windows-10-works.html)

Gary34 05-21-2023 12:46 PM

Windows 10 works for video capture?

(Not about topic can skip)
Ok so I am at a point now to where I got rid of my intensity shuttle for a pinnacle 710 and am going to get an actual recommended real frame TBC. I was thinking about an es15 as a frame tbc because I got bad information about it but due to the reasons on the site about it being a line TBCish and multiple reasons that LS is probably tired of repeating Im not gonna get one. I’m just gonna save up for the right hardware. It’s worth doing this right. I’m just glad to have good information now and not the information that lead me to capture a bunch of my videos in premier in 10 bit with an intensity shuttle. I’m gonna re capture those tapes repost them on YouTube. I’ve made these new hard wear decisions because the people on this site have a lot of experience in digitizing vhs and I believe there telling me facts so I can see what my decisions will lead to before I make a hard wear choice.

(About topic)
I tested my Pinnacle 710 and it works on windows 10. That was my first time on virtual dub. I used the instructions from the site and it seemed to work well. I captured a little bit of video to test it on a vhs that was just recorded television stuff that idc about. What I’m wondering is since my device is a usb device and it works on windows 10 is there a reason to get a windows 7 or xp system? What can I expect trying to capture with a newer pc in windows 10? Are there things that I should do differently because I am using a newer PC to capture in windows 10?

lordsmurf 05-21-2023 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary34 (Post 90943)
What I’m wondering is since my device is a usb device and it works on windows 10 is there a reason to get a windows 7 or xp system?

Ain't broke, don't fix it. :cool:

Win10 is often an issue. But sometimes it's not. For now, for you, it's not.

Just be aware than Win10 updates can always break things. This is why the best capture systems are entirely offline. The computer cannot "do stuff" if you disallow it.

Gary34 05-21-2023 01:31 PM

Cool. I am completely fine with disconnecting that computer from the internet to not allow updates. Sounds great. Well I’ll just focus on one thing at a time then. When I’m ready I’ll come back to the marketplace and get a frame TBC. Thanks for the help.

lordsmurf 05-21-2023 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary34 (Post 90946)
Cool. I am completely fine with disconnecting that computer from the internet to not allow updates. Sounds great. Well I’ll just focus on one thing at a time then. When I’m ready I’ll come back to the marketplace and get a frame TBC. Thanks for the help.

That's exactly what you should do. :congrats:

When you delve into a new area (ie, video), for a DIY project you want to tackle, sometimes you're unaware of the costs involved. Once it's known, save up for it as needed. Don't just random buy cheap items because those were funds in your wallet at that moment. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well, right?

You tackled the capture card system/driver/software issue. Kudos. One down. :)

Gary34 05-21-2023 02:26 PM

(Off topic comments about vcr)
I have a Panasonic 1980ag that I’ve had redone by tgrantphoto too so the frame tbc might be my last hurdle hard wear wise that I make. My Panasonic might go bad before I capture I’m aware of the potential for that now that I’ve been on this site and I’ve read up now on that vcr but it’s a really nice vcr now. I just play it an hour a month and do what I see recommended to maintain it. Really if I had seen this site first I would of got a JVC or something else but I didn’t have the facts then.

(Off topic comments about site)
It’s been nice finding this site though. The guide took my knowledge up tremendously and it’s been nice having facts about stuff and reasons why and not a bunch of ow this we’ll be an easy way to transfer it over then when you do it there’s not really a point of doing it in the first place because it looks so bad. Also the instructions are easy to find and step by step with stuff on this site. It’s hard to find instructions on capturing when you are trying to use adobe. This site makes things a lot easier.

mbassiouny 05-23-2023 05:52 PM

> Win10 is often an issue. But sometimes it's not. For now, for you, it's not.

Big underline on "for now". I had issues with things turning nasty after working for a while on 10.

The question is like asking, is my Ferrari good enough to transport boxes, well yes it may work, depending on how many boxes and your patience to rotate and fit the boxes inside, but a minivan is cheaper and is more adapted to the job.

some people get I/O interrupts, especially due to background tasks running in parallel and being connected to the internet, etc so you may sometimes get dropped frames or may have your capture cut. (some people, not all), so just pay attention in case you are one of them and just did not notice.

Gary34 05-23-2023 07:53 PM

Well I still have those issues even though I disconnected that computer from the internet?

Gary34 05-23-2023 09:46 PM

I’ll keep an eye out and if it does then I’ll go from there.

mbassiouny 05-24-2023 06:40 PM

Quote:

Well I still have those issues even though I disconnected that computer from the internet?
Generally no, but no guarantees, as you said just keep an eye, and if you have antivirus installed, scanning regularly, etc, de-activate them during captures.