digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Sony Video8 camcorder plays backwards? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/13760-sony-video8-camcorder.html)

pgtr 09-15-2023 02:36 PM

Sony Video8 camcorder plays backwards?

Basic question up front: My old camcorder (CCD-FX435) now is only playing Video8 cassettes backwards. (Both the FF and REW buttons also only go in reverse as well). Anybody heard of such a problem or know of a simple solution?

Background:
I started on a project a year ago to convert some old family Video8 tapes from the 90s to a digital format. My original Sony camcorder did not function so I bought a used one off an auction site that actually functioned OK. Good enough. I converted the tapes I had at the time.

Recently Idiscovered 4 more Video8 cassettes that I didn't originally convert.

So I tried the camcorder again after 1 year - this time with some problems...

The video displayed mostly static or cut out completely. If in PLAY mode if fast advance it - I can see an image. I suspect dirty heads. If I let it play long enough it does kinda-sorta clear up after 5 or 10 minutes of playing w/ just a few bands of static.

But this is where it gets strange: It is now only playing the videos BACKWARDS?!

FF button Rewinds the tape
REW button Rewinds the tape
Play button plays the tape backwards

I am able to get some playtime by 'forwarding' the tape with a drill. But of course it's all in reverse and the audio is garbled or reversed.

QUESTION 1: Before I go and hunt down yet another hopefully functioning Sony camcorder capable of playing Video8 cassettes, has anybody heard of such an issue? And if so - any quick or simple fixes. This is a Sony CCD-FX435.

QUESTION 2: Otherwise, any advise on used models (camcorder or player) to seek or avoid that so I can capture the remaining 4 or 5 family home videos. I don't care about super high quality - just 'good enough' and it just needs to last long enough to get thru capturing this last batch of Video8 cassettes.

Thanks!

latreche34 09-15-2023 11:35 PM

I don't see how it plays backwards, Can you post a video of the camcorder showing this, ideally with the cassette compartment door removed? One possibility is if the capstan motor control board is defective like having a dead or shorted hall effect sensor it could make the motor go backward, But still doesn't explain how the supply reel suddenly becomes a take up reel.

pgtr 09-20-2023 05:41 PM

Yep it's pretty un-believable to the point I was hesitant to even make such a post. While most of my tapes were already rewound and wouldn't play I happened to try one tape that was somewhere in the middle. Even then it wasn't apparent as it was merely shots of scenery. Finally I noticed people walking backwards...

I could post something later if there's a curiosity factor but based on your response this doesn't sound reasonably fixable.

Any feedback on the 2nd question?

QUESTION 2: Otherwise, any advise on used models (camcorder or player) to seek or avoid that so I can capture the remaining 4 or 5 family home videos. I don't care about super high quality - just 'good enough' and it just needs to last long enough to get thru capturing this last batch of Video8 cassettes.

Thanks,