05-14-2024, 02:51 AM
Free Member

Hi, I have a new problem.

I'd like to capture a C-VHS, but unfortunately I'm not able to read it.
Both my JVC S7711 and my videocamera are unable to read it.
They display a black screen and the time set at 00:00.
Even forcing the VCR to move the tape forward does not produce any result.

I'm sure that the VHS contained a video because it is labeled and my father (badly) digitized it 10 years ago.
It was stored in a dark and not humid environment with the others I own that are well preserved.

Do you know what could have possibly happened?
Thank you
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-14-2024, 03:10 AM
Free Member

Have you tried connecting the VCR to the TV directly? What capture device are you using and how are you connecting it? Are you selecting the right output in the capture software?

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
05-14-2024, 03:46 AM
Free Member

My setup is not the problem, because this is the only VHS having this kind of problem. If I switch back and forth with other C-VHS of the same group, this is the only one that is impossible to read
05-14-2024, 04:20 AM
Free Member

What format your setup is and what format the tapes are, We can't help you with no information, we are not magicians.

05-14-2024, 04:25 AM
Free Member

I have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro as capture card and a JVC-S7711. The software I use for acquisition is VirtualDub 1.9 (the version shared by lordsmurf).
My card is connected to the VCR via S-video, that goes from the breakout cable of the Intensity Pro to the Scart adapter. Anyway I don't know how useful these information can be because this setup always works
05-14-2024, 10:21 AM
Free Member

The more info you give the better it helps you, What color format your setup is and what format the tapes are? Post a video of the type of black signal you get, any clues or markings on the tapes, I can tell you the tape is bad or erased, end of story. but I'm pretty sure that's not the answer you're looking for.

05-15-2024, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

One possible cause for the VCR time counter not moving and no video/audio is the recorder that made the recording had very bad alignment.

Doesn't sound like this is the case with you, because you indicate it is one out of a similar batch. So unless this tape is the only one that may have been recorded on a given machine or the last one recorded after something went wrong with the machine to mess up the alignment, then this is not likely the cause.

One possible symptom of this would be if you can see video on pause or going into fast forward or rewind from playback mode.

If it were the case, the only solutions are to find the machine that made the recording or to mess up a machine's alignment to try and get the A/C (Audio/Control track) head's alignment to match the alignment of the problem tape's control track. Messing up a machine's alignment is an advanced move and is at your own risk as it would render it useless for other tapes unless you are able to undo the alignment changes you made.

I am only speaking in general terms based on the symptoms described. The only other thought is somehow the tape got too close to something magnetic and was erased.
05-15-2024, 08:36 PM
Free Member

Typically the time/tape counter on a VHS VCR (and on-screen display) will increment when it senses a recording/control track and will not increment if there is no control track recorded on the tape.

Some players will show a blank screen (e.g, solid blue, black, etc) when there is nothing recorded.

Do you get an on-screen display of the counter and/or relative tape position when FF, PLAY and REW?

Have you tried advancing the tape well into it to determine weather or not a length of blank tape was left before recording was started? I would try every 10% of the tape until you reach the end. Verify that the tape has actually advance by checking the reels.

Tags
blank tape, broken tape