digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Capture card for my JVC HR-S9900U (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/1769-capture-card-jvc.html)

soundlight 11-18-2009 05:51 PM

capture card for my JVC HR-S9900U

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 8865)
Another really good option is the older AGP-slot ATI All In Wonder Radeon cards, especially the latter 9000 series cards (9000, 9200, 9600, 9700, 9800), and using ATI MMC 8.7, 8.8 or 9.02.

I am in the market for a capture card and will buy ASAP, but I want to buy the best one for capture from my JVC HR-S9900U. If they are all the same, I can shop for the least expensive, but if there is one that is the best, I will shop for it. Is any of these cards superior to the others?

admin 11-18-2009 05:59 PM

Post moved to it's own thread. Will answer shortly.

Some cards, like the 9600, have dual monitor output support. While I have a 9600 card, I don't room on the desk for two monitors, so the dongle sits half empty. As posted below, it's really the graphics side of the card that differentiates the card models, not the video half of the card.

As long as you have an AGP slot on the computer, you'll be fine with any of them.

Some of these cards have latter-generation AGP slot-type, so they'll only work on latter-generation AGP card slots. I don't know how old your computer is. --- Even if I did, I wouldn't be able to help much. Compare your motherboard's AGP specs to the AGP specs of the card you're looking at. The 2006 edition is the only one I personally know about as having higher-end AGP needs. I run a 9200 and 9000 card on AMD systems built in 2005. Intel systems built in 2001 can only use 7000 series cards, AGP slot on 9000 is too new. I forget the technical details as to why this is.

lordsmurf 11-18-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlight
HI, you had advised me to get an AIW 9600 agp card in another forum. There is a brand new NIB ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 2006 EDITION 256MB AGP VIDEO card currently up for bid on Ebay. Is this card equivalent or better than the AIW 9600? I will bid on it if you recommend it as being the best for me. (I am capturing from a SVHS JVC HR-S9900U and will also be buying a TBC-1000) Thanks!

This card is basically the same as all other 9000-series cards. The only major differences between the cards were the graphics side of the card, not really the video side. All of these 9000 cards (including 2006 edition) had the Theatre 200 video processors for encoding and capturing video.

JVC 9900 + TBC + ATI AIW card is a great setup.

Those ATI All In Wonder cards, at the time, were performing equal to or better than a number of professional cards that cost 2-3x (and more) the amount of the ATI. The ATI's ran about $200-300 new, versus Matrox and Canopus cards in the 4-digit price range.

Sadly, the day of good consumer-priced capture cards is behind us, driven by dollars instead of costs. New in stores, you can choose from a $30-100 piece of crap, or spend $500-1000 or more on a good pro card. That's why older second-hand cards are a good idea. DVD recorders have largely met the same fate, cost over quality. Recession is part to blame.

Note: Remember to ask tech questions in the forum, not PMs. Thanks! :)

soundlight 11-18-2009 08:33 PM

I looked up a Matrox MXO2 Mini and wanted to know how much better it is, if it is, than an AIW 9000 series AGP card. A Matrox MXO2 Mini is priced new at $450. Would this give me a noticeable improvement in quality and is it the best card for $450?

admin 11-18-2009 08:41 PM

There's nothing wrong with the Matrox MXO2 Mini, but I'm not sure it's the right tool for the job. If you're wanting to make DVDs at home, I would stick to the ATI All In Wonder AGP Radeon cards.

Specs for it here: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/produ...o2_mini/specs/

At this point, I'd have to know more about what you're doing before feeling comfortable suggesting an exact product, when they differ this much.

soundlight 11-18-2009 09:27 PM

Of course! I have about 25 SVHS tapes and 10 VHS tapes that I wish to archive to digital media. I am concerned about the decline of the tapes as they age, some of which are approaching 20 years old. They have been well cared for, but archiving to digital media will allow me to make copies into the future without worries of further degradation and will allow me to move to future types of media as they come into existence without having to try to keep a working SVHS machine forever.

(I also have around 20 Digital 8 tapes that I will archive, but they are digital, so I see no problems there. Likewise, I have already moved all my HDV tapes to hard disk with DVD backup.)

I intend to make the first copy of my SVHS tapes to Huffy or Lagarith lossless codecs and then I will create DVD's at the highest bitrate allowed for play on standalone DVD players. I will also create another high bitrate copy in H264 format from the original Huffy or Lagarith. I have several 1.5 TB disks and can keep material on them for some time.

I have an ASUS A7N8X rev2.0 MB with an Athlon XP 2200+ CPU and 1 GB of RAM running Windows XP Pro SP2. I would use this for the AGP capture.

Alternatively, my main machine is this box:

Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3
CPU Speed: Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad core
Harddrive space: 300GB Raptor, (2) 1.5TB Seagate 7200RPM
RAM Memory: 4GB
Video Card: ATI HD 2400 Pro
Capture Card: ATI Theater 550
Motherboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6

This box has PCIe slots in it. Since the AGP AIW cards have such a good rep, I plan to capture on the AGP machine and compress on the Quad core one.

admin 11-18-2009 10:57 PM

Yes, archiving tape to DVD is good idea, for preservation, archives and ease/quality of duplicates. D8 tapes are still tapes, so it would be wise to archive those to a tape-less format, too. It's not the analog data as much as it's the tape itself, than tends to degrade.

Being S-VHS tapes, you may want to capture to 720x480 or 704x480, not 352x480.

Matrox gear is generally tied to certain codecs, be it DV or MPEG. Given this, I think YUY2/uncompressed capture (or lossless like HuffYUV) by the ATI setup would be more ideal for you. With ATI MMC software, you also have the option for VideoSoap, a live clean-up filter.

The Matrox box is nice, but not really what you need here.

The system specs for the capture box sounds fine.
The system specs for the encoding/editing/filtering box sound great.

Be sure to use a good H.264 encoder, something based on a well-implemented MainConcept SDK (Vegas, Premiere, MainConcept Reference), or use command-line x264. Most H.264 encoding software is crap -- just wanted to warn you. This includes the likes of Quicktime, Procoder, Sorenson Squeeze and others; it's just not very good at all. I won't even mention the sub-$100 programs that litter cyberspace, often used by Youtubers.

Keep control of tapes from the VCR, to the signal it passes out and into the computer, to anything done on the computer prior to the DVD burn (or digital archive, whatever format it be). Any sloppiness/cheapness carried out along the path from tape to final mars the quality to some degree. You've done well to see advice.

soundlight 11-19-2009 06:49 AM

I own a copy of Vegas 8 which I have used for editing. I also have Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 available to me. In the past I have used MeGUI for compressing material to x264. It has been a fair amount of time since I last compressed anything, but I remember the two commercial products I have seemed lacking in the ability to produce really high quality 264 encodes. I would edit in them and then encode in MeGUI as I recall.

admin 11-19-2009 06:58 AM

Premiere CS3 is a MainConcept SDK for H.264, and it's quite decent with correct custom/tweaked settings. x264 is honestly hobbled by the various GUI's, it's better as command-line app only.