digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   VHS to DivX ... totally confused... (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/2074-vhs-divx-totally.html)

fatboy123 03-08-2010 12:17 AM

VHS to DivX ... totally confused...

Hello everyone,

After reading and reading and some more reading, I find myself now overwhelmed with information. I'm an old guy with lot's of family headaches so please help me out...

I've got like 20 late 70's VHS tapes, 15 8mm tapes and about 15 MiniDV tapes, and I've decided that I don't want DVD format, rather I like DivX as all my DVD players support DivX and I just get all confused with VOB files.

I've downloaded the virtualdub from this forum, have hooked up the VHS to my external USB capture card and all is ready, but even though I read the guide here, I'm totally confused. All I want is to simply import these video, trim the empty spaces, maybe a cleanup filter or two (optional) and output to a Divx file so that I can burn all of them in a couple of DVD's.

First of, when I go to capture mode in virtual dub, I do see my video being played back, but it's very small square at the top left hand corner of virtualdub, is that how it's supposed to be? I can't go to Video and Format as it's grayed out !!! also the audio seems muffled, will be OK once being played back on the telly?

Could someone here kindly write me a short dummies step by step ... sort of like ... set video to this ... and set audio to that ... type of guide? I'm not looking for a pro video output, just the same or better for viewing only.

I really appreciate all your time and effort in reading and hopefully replying back to this post.

Rick.

admin 03-08-2010 09:15 AM

Which "USB capture card" do you have?
Brand, model, etc

fatboy123 03-08-2010 09:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thank you so much for your time, I made a mistake there, it's not actually a CARD but a box of some kind, and I don't know what this crap is that I could not find ONE single picture or product page ANYWHERE on the internet to post here, so I took some pictures of mine, hope they're OK.

This device uses drivers from Honestech, but it works alright with virtualdub.

If all the default setting in the version of virtualdub which I downloaded from here are all fine then I can live with that, just give me a quick step by step and I'll be on my way. I'm in a PAL zone by the way, and I really can not afford any other equipment such as TBC or what have you :(

From what I understand now is: Go to capture mode, press play one the VCR and CAPTURE in the program, then just wait an hour of two, disconnect the VCR, stop capture mode, close down virtualdub, open it again and load that movie file, cut out unwanted scenes, (I don't know what filters to use here) choose Divx 6.8.5 codec (2 logical CPUs) and save.

I really appreciate your help in this matter.

God Bless.

Rick.

Attachment 738

Attachment 739

Attachment 740

Attachment 741

admin 03-08-2010 10:56 PM

It's one of those generic Chinese devices -- always hard to know what's really inside.

Would it be possible to wait a few more days? I can create a new VirtualDub guide. It's on the to-do list. It works with at least two USB capture sticks.

I'd also suggest Xvid, not Divx. Divx-enabled DVD players still play Xvid files, also being an MPEG-4 Part 2 codec. But Xvid is generally better to work with, and quality can be better, too.

fatboy123 03-09-2010 12:58 AM

I've procrastinated for 5 years now to do this, I sure can wait a few more days too, I hope it's one of those "Dummies guide" type ;)

I will also download Xvid and install the codec, makes no difference to me.

Waiting eagerly for your guide, How do I find it? In the forums or on the main page?

Thanks again for your effort.

Rick.

admin 03-09-2010 10:00 AM

It should be an easy to follow guide, yes.
Because of some things happening here right now, it may be longer than a few days.

I'll post back here when it's ready.

There's actually going to be two guides:
1. Capturing in VirtualDub
2. Converting catpured AVI to XVID

That will take care of your needs, plus some other folks. Been talking about these guides for a few weeks, just not had adequate time to do them just yet.

fatboy123 03-16-2010 10:10 PM

Hi again,

You know it's very inappropriate to even write this, but I've been so exited about your upcoming guide to finally help me in this that I've been checking this site twice a day now.

I don't want to be rude or anything like that at all, but could you give us a little update as to where in the write up you are? or approximately how many more days it will take?

Please don't take this the wrong way chief?

Your avid reader,

Rick.

admin 03-22-2010 04:01 PM

I'll write back once it's been added. :)

Right now there are 3 things going on:
  • Working on client projects, which comes first
  • Answering Premium Member questions, which comes second
  • Preparing and finalizing the new site CMS, which is where the new guide will be located -- the existing site will not have any more updates -- you'll know the new main site is up when it matches the forum (the forum is already running the new code and design)

fatboy123 03-22-2010 09:59 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply chief, I was checking here twice a day for this, keeping my fingers crossed hoping it won't take too long.

I highly appreciate your time and effort, God Bless.

Rick.