digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Downloading drivers and install order for AIW 9600XT (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/2145-downloading-drivers-install.html)

bosteis 04-05-2010 12:02 AM

Downloading drivers and install order for AIW 9600XT

i'm confused. i have an AIW 9600XT, but when i click on these links from the thread at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...-best-285.html:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/downloads/...11-drivers.rar
http://www.digitalfaq.com/downloads/...ti-mmc-902.rar

i get redirected to:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...onder-392.html

i was hoping to just download the rar of Catalyst 6.11 and MMC 9.02 (or anything i would need for a stable install on a fresh image of WinXP). i downloaded all the packages listed on that page, but not sure what to install and in what order.

sorry for such newbness. thanks!

admin 04-05-2010 02:21 AM

The files were moved from the old "downloads" folder, due to excessively leeching by other sites. The downloads are now attached files that are only available to registered forum members. The page you were redirected to is the thread with the attached files. Download them from that page.

Catalyst 611 and ATI MMC 9.02 did not get uploaded yet. Since you've made the request, and are a Premium Member, I'll upload them tonight. You'll note several "reserved for later" posts, and that's why those were made.

Some added information, that may help...

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 11430)

ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon cards (PCI and AGP) had two styles of install.

From 2000 to mid 2003, there were at least three separate installers that had to be installed in a specific order.
The installers were:
  • graphics drivers,
  • video capture drivers,
  • and control panels.
Because people don't seem to be able to read, there were many problems from out-of-order installs. ATI software has never been simple, it sort of "octopuses" itself into your computer, with bits and pieces all over the place, in order to run correctly. Video capture is, after all, a fairly complex task, and this was a rather advanced piece of hardware.

When installed in the wrong order, it was difficult to uninstall and start over. At one time, ATI even had a "ATI removal" tool, to help in this process. Latter generation cards had added optional installers, to be installed after the core three installers, which included some Windows Media encoding options, as well as the TV guides and remote control features. You often found yourself installing 6-7 things on the new 2003 model cards.

For example, you'll notice how I've labeled the files 1st-5th on the v6168 package (the last ATI installer from the "separate installer" era):
  • ATI-6168package-1st-wdm.rar
  • ATI-6168package-2nd-wme.rar
  • ATI-6168package-3rd-cp.rar
  • ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part1.rar
  • ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part2.rar
  • ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part3.rar
  • ATI-6168package-5th-hydra.part1.rar
  • ATI-6168package-5th-hydra.part2.rar
From late 2003 until the end-of-life of the card series (2005/2006), the three installers were merged into a single installer application named "Catalyst". Early versions showed you each of the drivers/utilities being separately installed, but as time went on that became transparent, as if it were a single install of a single program.

After the various drivers and control panels were installed, you installed ATI Multimedia Center (ATI MMC), that was used for capturing video, or to timer record TV shows. Then and now, this was the best tool for this card, having been designed specifically for the hardware.
  • NOTE: ATI MMC 8.x series also required the installation of DAO/MDAC package, adding yet another installer.
On top of all this, nothing from ATI would install until you had Windows DirectX 9 series (9.0c, I believe) installed correctly. Windows ME and early versions of XP came with DirectX 8 by default, which was not powerful enough to run the ATI video. This was another issue from the original 2000-2003 installer method, as some steps could not continue until DirectX9 was installed. Although a warning was usually given, again people did not read, clicked OK (thereby ignoring the warning), and the install process would abort. Again, you'd have an incomplete mess installed, and it wasn't always easy to uninstall and start over.

A lot of people whinged/whined and complained in forums about this (or in reviews online), but this was still a very mild install procedure compared to other complex/professional video cards of the era, such as Matrox or Avid hardware. The realtime Matrox cards, with their heavy Adobe suite integration, made ATI installation look simple. I still firmly believe the complaints were all related to lazy users and/or people that did not read the instructions. It was rare to find a legitimate install issue, when instructions were read and followed. It was not a dummy-friendly hardware/software combo, it took some effort to set up -- you couldn't just cram a disc in a CD drive, hit "go" and walk away, returning 10 minutes later ready to record some TV.

I hope this historical insight helps clarify the variances in files. :)

I just added that reply to the stickied ATI downloads thread.

admin 04-05-2010 03:35 AM

Alright, the new files are uploaded: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...=9469#post9469

That post now has the following files attached:
  • ATI-611-Catalyst-Installer.part1.rar
  • ATI-611-Catalyst-Installer.part2.rar
  • ATI-611-Catalyst-Installer.part3.rar
  • ATI-611-Catalyst-Installer.part4.rar
  • ATI-611-Catalyst-Installer.part5.rar
  • ATI-611-Catalyst-Installer.part6.rar
  • ATI-611-Catalyst-Installer.part7.rar
  • ATI-MMC-902.part1.rar
  • ATI-MMC-902.part2.rar
  • ATI-MMC-902.part3.rar
  • ATI-MMC-902.part4.rar
This is
  • the ATI Catalyst installer 6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185.exe and
  • the ATI MMC 9.02 installer mmc-9-02-0-0.exe
in RAR files.

Remember that the instructions for "unzipping" RAR archives is at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...-rar-1606.html

bosteis 04-05-2010 04:41 AM

wow... thanks! so again, all i need to install with a fresh WinXP image is Catalyst 6.11 and MMC 9.02 in that order? do i need to install any other attachment originally listed at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...9469#post9469?

admin 04-05-2010 05:23 AM

Yes.
Catalyst 6.11 and MMC 9.02, in that order, should be all you need for video capturing.

I don't remember if the graphics driver is part of Catalyst 6, or if you'll be prompted to install one from the Windows XP CD. Most of the graphics drivers are still on AMD's ATI.com site, even though the capturing installers are all pretty much gone.

Just keep that in mind, if you get any issues.

It's been about a year since I had to last install an ATI card on a freshly formatted system, don't always remember all the step-by-step details.

bosteis 04-05-2010 12:37 PM

i have the original ATI install CD, which i believe has mmc 8.8. if run the install cd, select full install, and then install catalyst 6.11 and mmc 9.02 on top, i should be in good shape, right? i don't need to do all those separate installers for dmao, etc?

lordsmurf 04-05-2010 08:58 PM

Honestly, if you have the original CD, then that may be the best option. The Catalyst installer that was around at the time of ATI MMC 8.8 was quite decent, and ATI MMC 8.8 tended to work well with the cards it shipped with. I currently have an ATI All In Wonder 9200 card installed on an AMD 2700+, and it uses the Catalyst from the installer disc, along with the ATI MMC 8.8 also found on the disc.

Many of the later 9000 series cards came with the ATI MMC 8.x series, and worked well. It's the earlier 7000 series cards where ATI MMC would act quirky on any versions other than 8.7 or 9.02, and you'd have various issues with the drivers. I'd suggest trying your installer disc first, since you have it (most people DO NOT have it!), and then see how that goes.

If you just want to use Catalyst 6.11 and ATI MMC 9.02, then there's really no need for the install disc, maybe aside from the graphics driver.

Good luck, hope it installs well, whichever method you choose. :)

bosteis 04-05-2010 11:45 PM

thanks again!

soundlight 04-06-2010 08:12 PM

I have also just created a clean install of win xp sp3 and have my AIW 9600 in the AGP slot ready for drivers. When I purchased the card used, it came with a 2004 ATI Catalyst software disk labeled 180-V01085-100. The person selling me the card also provided a CD he had made with drivers and software on it that he recommended I use instead. Here are the installation instructions he provided:

ATI VIDEO INSTALL PROCEDURES

1) 9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe

2) atiCDwiz4-0.exe (original ATI CD will be needed to validate)(use setupe.exe from this directory,click install).

3) wxp-w2k-ccc-8-9-041221m-020455c-english.exe (CATALYST - XP DRIVERS, MULTIMEDIA DRIVERS(ATIWDM), CATALYST CONTROL CENTER)
3a) make sure all DISPLAYS have correct drivers loaded.

4) reboot and WAIT for multiple ati-sound-drivers to install when desktop reappears.

5) mmc-9-03-0-0.exe (MULTIMEDIA CENTER-includes TV, File Player, DVD, etc.) (Use Custom & De-Select EAZYSHARE).

6) reboot.

7) after Desktop reappears AND system is IDLE, start TV from LAUNCH-BAR and follow setup/configuration procedures.

(8) OPTIONAL - run GUIDEPLUS once, then run update wizard in GuidePlus Folder

9) Run Catalyst and configure for two monitors.

Are these the best drivers available for doing SVHS capture from my HR-S9900U? I only want to install what is needed for capture, nothing else. Which drivers are needed for capture alone?

THX

soundlight 04-08-2010 09:20 PM

Since the admin recommends the MMC 9.02 and I will be using it rather than the MMC 9.03 I have. I am curious what the difference is. I also would like to know what the other files are that I was sent with my AIW card and which, if any, are useful to me. For now I intend follow the admin's advice and just use the Catalyst 6.11 drivers as well. I guess I should have gotten that without posting here, but I was hoping to get a better understanding of the files I received with my card. I did not receive any documentation with the card other than the instructions from the seller I posted above.

admin 04-08-2010 09:33 PM

@soundlight

ATI made a lot of changes to ATI MMC during the 9.x series, as this was the version of the software that was out when AMD bought out ATI.

v9.02 was the last "good version" that worked with all ATI All In Wonder Radeon AGP and PCI cards, from 7000, 8000 and 9000 series cards, and included a functioning VideoSoap.

v9.03 - v9.05 were incremental version "updates" that tended to just louse up the MPEG-2 and AVI capturing abilities, including available resolutions. I think 1-2 of those versions were only found on discs, not released online. I don't remember if VideoSoap was in all of these.

v9.06 really screwed up the software, limiting a number of the MPEG-2, AVI, and resolution options, and also saw the removal of VideoSoap. This was when they tried to incorporate more MPEG-4 capture, which is a horrible idea -- realtime software MPEG-4 capturing looks like crap, very degraded quality.

v9.1 just made it worse, and I think this is where ATI MMC ended, with one of the 9.1x incremental sub-releases.

Again, it's been about 4-5 years now, I don't recall all of the details as well as I once did. The peak days of ATI were from 2001-2005/2006, before dying out for several years. They've slightly redeemed themselves with the ATI 600/650 series of USB and PCI cards.

I would also suggest using the Catalyst 6.11 driver package, instead of the others. Much like ATI MMC, the latter Catalyst packages mostly just made the ATI capturing experience worse, either as nuisance or by changing how things had worked in the past.

After AMD bought ATI, it's like nobody at AMD paid attention to the reasons ATI became such a respected name in video capturing (and to some degree, video gaming graphics). Everything sort of imploded for a few years there, with a number of really bad cards being made (non-Radeon/non-AIW 500-550 series TV/PVR cards). I'm sure they still made money, selling to people that didn't know any better and relied solely on ATI brand recognition, but the rest of us noticed. AMD just milked the ATI name, as far as I could tell. From financial info I read, ATI had huge downturns in sales/profits in 2007-2008, although some of that was probably carry-over from 2006, and 2009 was also a bit hit-or-miss. Whether any of this directly relates to video capture cards is speculation, but I know ATI is no longer a brand often suggested amongst the videographer crowd, which includes a number of huge websites. That's changing, however, due to recent re-interest the 600/650 series cards. While those cards are a year or two old now, they largely went unnoticed, having been advertised purely as a coax HD tuner card, instead of presented as the full capture cards they are.

bosteis 04-08-2010 11:45 PM

I tried installing Catalyst 6.11 but got this error dialog:

INF error
Video driver not found.

and then this error dialog:

Setup was unable to the complete the installation.
Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup.

So I tried installing only the display driver from the ATI CD 180-V01085-100, rebooting, and then running Catalyst 6.11 again, but I'm still getting the same error dialogs.

any suggestions?

admin 04-11-2010 06:16 AM

What about running the ATI CD for the complete install of all drivers, both graphics and video-related? You can always pick another ATI MMC, if you need/want to. However, I wonder if the "85" in the above CD designates ATI MMC 8.5, which should be fine. More likely, it comes with ATI MMC 8.8 or 8.9, which is fine.

Let the disc do it's thing, see how it goes. Downloading various drivers/MMC's may be unnecessary. :)

bosteis 04-12-2010 06:13 PM

i believe it comes with MMC 8.8. at the end of the day, i'm doing a fresh XP install, so i wanted to use the latest/greatest but also stablest version of whatever ATI suite was recommended.

i've tried many permutations of installs so far, and i can't get Catalyst 6.1 with MMC 9.02 to take. it looks like just going with the CD install straight up will yield the best results?

[a] what will happen if i try using the latest software packages on ATI's site with an AIW 9600XT?
[b] how would i know if using the CD install would be "bad"? certain features won't work or work as well?

admin 04-13-2010 07:59 PM

A - You might end up with one of those lousy latter-generation crippled versions of the drivers or ATI MMC, with reduced recording options, and more obnoxious Macrovision protection (confuses real protection with an unprotected but lousy signal). I would do it if I were you.

B - It won't install, ATI MMC crashes at startup, Windows locks up. I don't see that much, but that's the typical mess. It's as "easy" as running the uninstall tool to get rid of it. CCleaner removes it pretty well, too (I did that last year).

I'd try the CD install. As I've told other people, it's not like your computer will catch fire if it doesn't work right. :)

lordsmurf 06-27-2014 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlight (Post 11458)
The person selling me the card also provided a CD he had made with drivers and software on it
1) 9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe

Do you still have this? I need to DAO/MDAC for any post-8.x pre-9.14 version.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. :)

Note that 9-1-0-0 was actually the ATI MMC 9.01 (9.0.x) MDAC/DAO, not the MMC 9.1.x series. They had lots of version labeling issue in the 9.0.x days. Messy stuff in the year just before the AMD buyout of ATI.

It's hidden on the ATI site: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/archive/mmc9-06

I'll be adding this, and others, in the ATI MMC download thread, if needed.