digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Need a DVD Recorder for Recording VHS to DVD (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/2162-dvd-recorder-recording.html)

Konfusion 04-08-2010 05:57 AM

Need a DVD Recorder for Recording VHS to DVD

I have a JVC DRM10 That is pretty much Useless now. I have tryed several things to get the loading bug to stop working. I even took it to my local JVC Service center and they told me it would probably cost around 260$ to fix. I only payed maybe 80$ for this refurbished unit so that price is just way to high for me to pay more than what i paid for it. But Now im in need of a dvd recorder that can do a good job of recording from vhs or a great vcr that will make what i can record with my Philips DVDR3575H. So I want either a nice JVC SHVS Deck or a Great DVD Recorder to use my current so so quality vcr. I would like to get the best price on these i only have a few projects i want to do. I would prefer the great vcr over another dvd recorder and just use my Philips but only want to do svhs recording

thanks

lordsmurf 04-08-2010 11:07 PM

Alright, bunch of things to go over here... I'll just number them and go down a list with you:

1. The generic "LOADING" error messages is not a "bug" -- it's a generic error message. It may as well say "BROKEN", "PROBLEM" , "HELP ME" or "DANGER WILL ROBINSON". It doesn't throw out a code like other machines do; for example, Panasonic's "U99".

2. Possible reasons for receiving the LOADING error message have been described in detail at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...-dvd-2008.html

3. Don't think about the original cost of the unit, think about the value of the unit. Would it be worthwhile to fix a known-excellent item for $260, instead of buying a new known-lesser item for the same amount? I'd say so. You'll find it near impossible to replace the quality of a LSI Logic chipsetted JVC DVD recorder, when working with VHS/S-VHS transfers at home. It does wonders at making clean encodes from these noisy sources, and further removes errors commonly found on ALL tapes, be it chroma or grain. However...

4. If you read the link at item #3, you'll know the most common cause of the LOADING error message is a bad capacitor. A handfull of new capacitors costs about $5, and anybody skilled with component boards and a soldering pen/gun can have this repaired in under an hour. When my Panasonic ES10 "died" on me back in 2007, I took the unit to the local community college, and had one of the broadcast journalism teachers fix it for me for $30. I barely knew the guy, I just emailed him one day and asked if he could repair a video board with a bad cap. It took him about 30 minutes, I think, to replace 2-3 caps. The machine was good as new.

5. You'll notice I mentioned Panasonic, and not JVC, in the last item. Bad caps are a common problem among ALL BRANDS or ALL ELECTRONICS, especially those made in 2003-2005, due to a high number of cheap and crappy Chinese caps that were floating around the electronics assembly plants.

6. Your Philips 3575 is a great recorder for recording SD or HD TV signals directly from broadcast. I have one too, it's awesome. But when it comes to VHS/S-VHS transfer work, it's not ideal. It will retain every iota of noise found in your original tape, and the resulting MPEG recording will be at least as noisy as the tape (maybe moreso). Remember than MPEG encoding chokes on analog noise. It's true of H.264 and FLV, too, just for the record. Digital compression in general doesn't handle analog noise very well. You know what happens when you use an inferior recorder -- you've had to restore several of them later down the line, and it NEVER looked as good as your own JVC work, did it?!

7. Then again, replacing a so-so VCR will probably be needed too. I suggest putting the bulk of your funds, about $200-250, to locating a really good JVC HR-S7600+/9600+ deck, or a Panasonic AG-1980P if you mostly have EP mode tapes, and then trying to get your recorder fixed on the cheap by a skilled person. I think paying JVC $250+ is a bit much, given what will take place to fix it.

8. It could be your disc drive has failed, but you'd be wise to open up the JVC unit and look around for bulged or leaking caps. The various threads in item #3 have some photos. I can re-post my own ES10 photos, if you need to see what a bulged/leaky cap looks like. Just ask.

9. VCRs, of course, will all be used and second-hand, there are no longer many/any new S-VHS VCRs available anymore. You'll want to browse eBay, maybe check out B&H, eCost, and Amazon for what might be available.

10. When all your projects are done, you can always resell your gear. There will be a market for it, I'm sure. Feel free to list your available gear on this site -- it tends to sell quite well, sometimes snatched up by a buyer in mere days. No cost for that, other than being a Premium Member here at this site.

... don't think I have anything else for you, think I covered it all. :)

Konfusion 04-09-2010 12:48 AM

ok thanks for the info yes please show me what it will look like when it leaks or whatever. i have opened up my jvc recorder but i didnt have a clue what i was looking for. Id rather go to a local place to get it fixed.

there is so many links on the site you gave a link to i dont even know where to start where can i buy a capasitor?

Konfusion 04-09-2010 12:49 AM

so also this is when im getting the error. I can get the dvd to record but it only reconizes a few discs and they have to be 1x discs. when i can finnally get it to start up i can get it to record but out of no where it will just go into the loading error even in the middle of recording

Konfusion 04-09-2010 01:20 AM

whats better panasonic or jvc vcrs?

i have found these which would be best and for what price

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-HR-S9800-S-V...item335ab8c4dd''

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-HR-S9911U-SV...item19bb534ca6

admin 04-09-2010 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konfusion (Post 11503)
so also this is when im getting the error. I can get the dvd to record but it only reconizes a few discs and they have to be 1x discs. when i can finnally get it to start up i can get it to record but out of no where it will just go into the loading error even in the middle of recording

You're describing a disc drive issue. This can be caused by one of two things:
  • The burner drive inside the DVD recorder is aging and dying. It will become more and more selective about burning to discs, starting first with RW/RAM media. Then DVD-R won't burn. Then DVD-R/+R/+RW/-RW won't read. Eventually even commercial DVDs won't read. That's the standard order of death, for DVD burners.
  • You simply need to locate better media. Verbatim 1-16x DVD-R MCC03RG20 media ID coded Mitsubishi blank discs are known to work in this machine. However, I will mention that there have been a few reports of these discs not working in the DVD recorder, including some posts from members of this forum. Consider trying TDK 16x DVD-R RITEKF1-coded media ID discs. It's still worth running down some 2x DVD-RW, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konfusion (Post 11504)
whats better panasonic or jvc vcrs?

There is no "better", only "different".
  • JVC 7600-9911/SR S-VHS VCRs gives a cleaner image, has better color, overall looks best, for a large majority of tapes. The JVC will fail more often on lousy EP mode or SLP mode recorded VCR tapes, especially those recorded on a consumer standard VCR.
  • Panasonic 1980 S-VHS VCRs are not as clean or good-looking picture as JVC, but can give more stable picture on EP mode and SLP mode recordings. Better tracking, prevents SLP mode tape tracking problems, due to wider heads and a different transport system than the JVC.
If I had to pick one, I'd always pick a JVC first. The exception being a large collection of homemade SLP more tapes.

Quote:

i have found these which would be best and for what price
For a good S-VHS VCR in great condition, complete with remote, good heads, no damage, non-smoking, low hours, etc -- you should plan on $200 minimum and more likely $250-300 average price. Some new/near-mint units due to command and fetch $400-600 easily. When you get into $175 and below, you can pretty much bet on there being some issues -- it's rare to get a great unit for under $200. There are plenty of complaints on this forum and others, where a person runs into an issue, and come to find out the buy price was like $75-150. Not that you won't find a great item for a steal of a deal, but it's less likely than buying a near-lemon. Watch yourself when buying these things!

Konfusion 04-09-2010 07:41 AM

ok ill try verbatim. this happen to me on sony dvdrw and ty 8x discs other discs wouldn't even read it but i havnt tryed on of those. but i also go the error when i wasnt recording anything at all. just leaving the player on. Is there a way to replace the burner? or in that case should i just have jvc repair it?

Konfusion 04-09-2010 07:46 AM

also out of the two i found what one would you get? i didnt find any of the others ones you have listed i prefer jvc over panasonic

lordsmurf 04-11-2010 06:13 AM

You can self-replace the burner by getting an identical model drive. However, I don't recall if the JVC drive is modified special for this recorder, or if it's an off-the-shelf model. A few DVD recorders had special wiring and firmware for their burners. I used to know what these were, but it's been too long.

I think it was discussed on the now-dead-and-gone techolio.com forum. Not sure if it was ever mentioned at Videohelp or not. If it was, it'd be in one of those threads linked to in the JVC LOADING sticky.

9600 is built best, 9800 is near-clone, 9900 is built slightly worse than 9800, and 9911 is a bit worse than the 9900. The "worse" part comes in the grade of the transport system. However, I'm nitpicking a bit, and it should not be of major concern. At their core, all are excellent 9000-series JVC S-VHS VCRs, aimed at giving your the best VHS to DVD transfer work.

The same is true of the JVC 7600, 7800, 7900 or SR-V10U, and SR-V101U (a would-be 7911?).

The full model numbers, of course, would be:
HR-S9600 / HR-S9600U
HR-S9800 / HR-S9800U
HR-S9900 / HR-S9900U
HR-S9911 / HR-S9911U

Or
HR-S7600 / HR-S7600U
HR-S7800 / HR-S7800U
HR-S7900 / HR-S7900U
SR-V10 / SR-V10U (HR-S7900 clone?)
SR-V101 / SR-V101U (would-be HR-S7911 model?)

One sort-of answered, one over-answered! :D