digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   JVC VCR SR-V101, professional video capture device? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/2312-jvc-vcr-v101.html)

monks19 07-12-2010 10:00 PM

JVC VCR SR-V101, professional video capture device?

Hi, i was wondering if anyboy here could help me with this. I found this JVC model for sale on ebay. Does anybody know if it's a good device for vhs to dvd captures ?

Also, i'm looking for a good capture device for vhs capture on computer, i've tryed some before, but none was satisfactory. Any suggestion on a good professionnal capture device that can do high quality analogue video capture, with hd option, if possible ?

Any proffessional advices will be welcome. Thanks to answer

dyfan 07-12-2010 10:11 PM

already done for you:

read through this thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...date-1436.html

and this one: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...light=AVT-8710

admin 07-13-2010 07:45 AM

Hi, welcome to the site.

You'll find the JVC SR-V101 is listed in the VCR buyer guide: VCR Buying Guide (S-VHS, D-VHS, Professional)
http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...uide-1567.html

It's a very good unit, essentially an extension of the JVC HR-S7x00+ series of S-VHS VCRs, which included several filters for audio and video, as well as internal timebase correction for "cleaning the picture".

Be sure to read about TBCs, too! What is a TBC? Time Base Correction for Videotapes

lordsmurf 07-13-2010 07:45 AM

Hi monks, here's my advice for you regarding capture cards:

I'm really quite satisfied with the ATI 600 cards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
Ignore the stupid pictures. It has a s-video/composite input bundle, too -- not pictured.
Ignore the stupid $199 seller. The other two are in the $60-70 range.

For more costs, look at the Blackmagic cards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

Related conversations at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/foru...ransfer-7.html

That's what I'd do.

NOTE: You'll notice this is a mirror of what I mentioned for you over at videohelp this morning, too. For the best response times, and best access to my advice, always come to digitalFAQ, as you've done. I generally miss VH posts direct at me, but will always see ones from this site. (RSS subscriber)

monks19 07-14-2010 10:26 PM

hi, do you know if any of those cards are good too ?

cards info:

Carte de syntoniseur WinTV HVR 850 de Hauppauge
WinTV-HVR-1250 PCI Express TV hybrid tuner
Diamond ATI Theater™ HD 750 PCIE
ATI Theater™ HD 750 USB

ok, about the usb devices, don't answer, but for the cards ? are they good enough ?

thanks to answer

admin 07-15-2010 07:04 AM

I would say "NO" to the Hauppauge products. While historically they made great capture cards, I would suggest that's no longer true.
Ideally, I'd look for the ATI 600 card, of all available ATI models.

monks19 07-15-2010 06:35 PM

ok. lordsmurf, what about you ? any advice ?

lordsmurf 07-15-2010 06:39 PM

Same advice.

monks19 07-17-2010 08:19 PM

hi, does the tbc (recommanded many times on this forum) can do the conversion pal/secam (vhs) to ntsc, or do i need a special device to do this conversion ?

Also, does it works for laserdiscs as well ?

thanks to answer

admin, smurf, any answer ?

admin 07-19-2010 02:42 AM

Again, be sure to read about TBCs, too! What is a TBC? Time Base Correction for Videotapes

Timebase correctors are not format converters. Timebase correction has nothing to do with converting video from PAL to NTSC (or vice versa).

In order to play a PAL tape, you need a PAL VHS player.
To play SECAM, you need a SECAM player.
There are also "multi-format" VCRs that can work well.

And if you're interested, I have one multi-format VCR available, a Panasonic AG-W2 (Samsung 5000W clone!) in excellent condition, for $250 plus shipping ($10-15?). It plays PAL tapes quite nicely. Not tested it for SECAM, no SECAM tapes to test with. NTSC playback isn't great, average VHS quality. But the reason to have this would be to play PAL tapes anyway! And if you want, yes, it can convert PAL/SECAM to NTSC. I prefer to just make PAL DVDs from PAL VHS tapes, but this will convert the signal in-VCR, should you want that. These decks were $600+ when new. Decks like this are no longer made, and I'm asking for quite a bit less ($50-100) than eBay auctions on same-condition models.

Timebase correction is intended for "signals" moreso than any specific format. But it is specific formats that exhibit more or less errors than others. VHS tapes, for example, have an enormous amount of signal errors. DVDs, on the other hand, have few to none. Laserdiscs don't have too many errors to worry about, but signal correction from a TBC won't hurt.

monks19 07-24-2010 11:12 PM

hi, does anybody have some experience about the AYI TV wonder HD 750 USB pvr ? because i just buyed it and it's been a nightmare to do video captures with is. it always drops frames or the sound is always out of synch when i playback the video file. i tryed with virtualdub, ulead video studio 8, inter video win dvr 3, virtualvcr, power producer, etc. nothing is doing the job except the software that came with the device (TotalMedia 3.5).

i really don't know what to do, except turn it back to the store to replace it by something else. Maybe my computer is not fast enough, i don't know.

here's some info about my computer:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8xmo0zo2y7jofrr
(don't worry it's a text file)

so, if anybody have a beter solution, please let me know.

thonks to answer

kpmedia 07-24-2010 11:25 PM

The only ATI cards you'll find suggested here are:

1. 2001-2006 era ATI All In Wonder Radeon cards (AGP or PCI), that use ATI Multimedia Center (ATI MMC) or VirtualDub.

2. 2007-2009 era ATI TV Wonder HD USB2 and PCI-Express cards, using ATI Catalyst Media Center (ATI CMC) or VirtualDub.

Having not use the 750 card, it's hard to say what your problem might be here. It appears the 750 is the current generation of cards, and no longer uses ATI CMC. Third party software has historically never been very good with ATI hardware.

Your computer should be fine, based off the specs in that TXT file. That file was a bit bloated, FYI, not sure why it needs all that info in there. Consider using CPU-Z in the future, and just take a screen shot of the tabs. or just type out what it tells you (CPU, motherboard, RAM, hard drive spec, etc)

Wish I had more for you.

monks19 07-25-2010 04:29 PM

ok, i just return that thing to the store where i buyed it. those idiots here call themselves technicians, my eye...

anyway, i'm still looking for a good capture card that will alow me to capture both avi and mpeg vids (with virtualdub, preferably) in higher resolution than 720x480(hd res. at 1080i should do) & capture NTSC, PAL & SECAM capability.

any suggestions ?

thanks to answer

admin 07-25-2010 05:02 PM

The only thing I can suggest is a Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro card. It will do HD res, NTSC and PAL.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001CN9GEA

The biggest problem is you're asking for something that nobody else wants -- therefore it's not made.

I don't know of many cards that do SECAM. SECAM hasn't been used in many years now, neither for broadcast nor recordings. It all moved to PAL about a decade ago. Only a few specific standard definition cards tend to do SECAM, for legacy transfers of old materials.

I don't remember if the older ATI All In Wonder Radeon cards do SECAM, would have to check. But you can't use that card anyway, as it's AGP, and I don't think you have an AGP slot (do you?) Of course, it doesn't do 1080i.

Both AVI (various codecs) and MPEG further limits your card choices.

And then almost nothing will record HD in VirtualDub. Those cards tend to be more closed systems, mostly designed for TV recording. The Blackmagic card will accept non-TV input, but I don't really know what is used for recording. You'll have to read up the official documents at the Blackmagic site to learn more.

I don't really know what you're doing. I have a feeling you're asking for features you really don't need. For example, what are you needing to capture in HD?

To do everything you want, you'd need several different specialized cards, on different specialized computers.

monks19 07-25-2010 05:21 PM

well i want to capture analog videos in higher resolution for a beter quality, unless i need son video upscaler. the crappy card i just turned back could do secam pal & ntsc capture from tv, same thing for analog capture, but only at 720x480, so i'm looking for higher resolution for better quality, especially if i have to restore the video, or improve it.

what do you suggest then ? because i would have kept the ATI thing if i could a decent software wiyh it, that's why i'm asking.

thanks to answer

admin 07-25-2010 05:30 PM

There's no reason to capture VHS or even S-VHS at HD resolutions. Both of those formats fall far below even the maximum 720x480 resolution used for Full D1 DVDs.

VHS is even below (or near) Half D1 352x480. It's far less than HD.

To capture HD, you have to have HD input anyway, from HDMI or component or via coaxial HD signal. You can't really plug in composite or s-video and capture HD from that -- it's not an HD source.

Trying to upscale VHS to HD will make a mess, to be honest. The HDTV has to upscale from the DVD player anyway, and it does a better job than your computer can.

I think you need to buy the ATI 600 card, not the 750. It has decent software and works with VirtualDub.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 12054)
I'm really quite satisfied with the ATI 600 cards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
Ignore the stupid pictures. It has a s-video/composite input bundle, too -- not pictured.
Ignore the stupid $199 seller. The other two are in the $60-70 range.

monks19 07-25-2010 05:54 PM

ok, but the reason i ask for a device (or a pci card) that can do the switch between pal secam & ntsc is because i want to avoid to buy a special signal converter with your multi system vcr, since i know that some decent card out there can do the switch, wich was the case for the ati tv wonder 750. but, sadly, no software could do the job with it without crashing, or without droping frames and be totally out of synch. as for for the soft. coming in the package, it could only record mpeg, but no way to adjust it. so... do you think you can find a solution about this one ? i'm asking because it'll be easyer for me with your vcr.

thanks to answer

p.s.: as for the tv wonder 600, i'll look into it.

admin 07-25-2010 06:02 PM

This VCR can output SECAM as PAL, so it's not an issue. The only SECAM it does not do is the special French SECAM that requires a VCR from France.

It can output
PAL as PAL
PAL as NTSC (not suggested)
SECAM as PAL
SECAM as NTSC (not suggested)
SECAM as SECAM
NTSC as NTSC (not the best NTSC player, so not suggested -- the JVC SR plays NTSC better, being an NTSC S-VHS VCR)
NTSC as PAL

I don't remember if it does
NTSC as SECAM
PAL as SECAM
.... don't know a good reason for this anyway.

PAL and SECAM are almost the same anyway. The framerate and resolution matches, and that's the big worry with format conversion. PAL and SECAM mostly differ in how color data is stored, and the VCR sorts that out for you.

Digital video no longer has format-specific color systems, all colour is now stored as standard luma and chroma data. Color has become format agnostic.

monks19 07-25-2010 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 12126)
This VCR can output SECAM as PAL, so it's not an issue. The only SECAM it does not do is the special French SECAM that requires a VCR from France. .

wait, you mean that this vcr can't play vhs (films and documentaries) that came from France (vhs secam) ? is it a multi system vcr or what ?

according to this: (PDF attached below)
i shouldn't have much trouble, unless i'm missing something... if it's the case, tell me, please...

thanks to answer

admin 07-25-2010 06:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The general rule is that only VCRs from France can play French SECAM. However, there are a few rarer models that play SECAM France.

And I was mistaken! This VCR is not a Samsung 5000W clone, but the Samsung 7000W clone! It's an even more expensive VCR that I had thought. This is the Panasonic AG-W3, not the W2. And it is one of those rarer non-France VCRs that can play the French SECAM format.

It will play France CIS SECAM VHS tapes, according to the label:

Attachment 898

Attachment 900

Attachment 901

Since I already gave you a price, I won't change it. But you're getting a higher end unit now.

So that should be some good news for you! :):)

Output the SECAM as PAL, and record as PAL, to make PAL DVDs, that will almost always work fine in most China-made NTSC DVD players. And these days, almost everything is made in China. Philips players should play PAL DVDs just fine, as will many others. Convert to NTSC if you must, but I suggest leaving PAL as PAL (or SECAM as PAL) for best quality.