digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Dropping frames - IRQ conflict or VCR? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/262-dropping-frames-irq.html)

lookouts 05-21-2006 04:47 AM

This question gets asked a lot, there's probably no definitive way to fix frame-drop problems since everyone's machine is different from the rest. But, I'll give it a shot.

I'm using MMC 8.7, with a JVC HR-S9911U VCR, and a ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 128 9200 capture card. Running Windows Xp, 512 RDRAM, 2.4 GHZ, 2 hard drives.

I tried everything in the guide on Audio Sync and Dropped Frames guide. The audio works perfectly, but my capture card is still dropping frames. One thing that really bothers me is that my ATI capture card is sharing the same IRQ as my USB port (my mouse is attached to this port). System Information reads:

IRQ 16ALL-IN-WONDER 9200 SERIES - OK
IRQ 16Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2 - OK

I can't disable my port, although there are USB ports on the front of my computer case. I haven't connected those USB ports to the motherboard.

I tried setting my temp capture drive in MMC to my main capture drive, and after that setting it to my main OS drive - nothing stops the frames from dropping. I've tried two different ATI cards and got the same result. I shut down all my programs, defrag my hard drives, cut off the network connection, started capturing when the computer has cooled off, etc.. I just can't figure it out - my computer never had any problem with the Canopus ADVC-100. Never any frames lost (but, like one guide stated, the quality is a little something to be desired).

On top of that, MMC never allows me to capture at VHS 352x480 or 720x480 either.

Concerning frames dropping, could it be the way my VCR is set up in the menu screen? Is there a setting that could be making frames jump? I tried different source tapes and the frames always drop (it still could be my source tapes, though).

Thanks!

admin 06-02-2006 10:18 PM

Have you tried to manually change the ATI or USB IRQ? I don't know it would help, but it can always be tried. I used to play around with IRQ's all the time back in the Windows 95 days, was a juggling game back then, especially if you filled up all your card slots.

lookouts 07-05-2006 06:39 PM

My original question was tested, but with no success: I completely disabled USB and used a parallel-port mouse. This eliminated IRQ sharing between my ATI card and USB mouse. Yet, I am still not capturing successfully.

Now, a new problem. Back in the old days (well, a few months ago), frames would drop every so-often. Although numerous frames would fall, they would never drop as much as they do now - and that is - every single frame captured drops like a rock. It started after my next-to-last reformat. I even tried to capture "nothing" and it was still dropping frames. Amazing!

Well, I'm contemplating buying another All-in-Wonder card, or a Creative sound card (apparently, the MMC test run still shows a 1/2+- audio sync problem even though it is fine when I replay the video). I don't want to blame the ATI card (I admit that I have out of frustration, only to realize that my setup isn't perfect). Don't know what to do - I remember having an old 400 MHz PC back in the day and an old ATI AIW Pro card, with perfect results.

I close all possible programs, unplug from the network, although I'm not sure about how hot the system is running. After leaving the computer off for a few hours, though - when everything is cooled down (I think?) - it still drops frames. I have a lot of svchost.exe programs running, too. Time to buy a new computer? - lookouts

admin 07-06-2006 06:15 PM

"I have a lot of svchost.exe programs running" is not good. You may have a virus or spyware wrapped inside one of them. SVCHOST is just a connection, I hate that Windows does not show the user program.

Go and install WINPATROL. It is freeware.
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

Once installed, Scotty the dog will be by your clock on the taskbar. Open the program (double click the dog), and go to the SERVICES tab. There is will show what is running, and it will show what SVCHOST is being controlled by.

It's actually quite nifty software. It prevents software like MSN Messenger from putting itself in your start-up items. You get greater control here than you would even manually editing the start-up and processes underneath MSCONFIG.

It also shows a lot of things hidden to MSCONFIG and others.