digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   JVC HR S6900U Loading and Ejecting problems (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/2980-jvc-s6900u-loading.html)

Jpass992 03-18-2011 07:14 PM

JVC HR S6900U Loading and Ejecting problems

I bought a JVC HR S6900U from ebay about 2 years ago, and its worked fine up until now. A few months ago, when I tried to load a tape, the loading motor would make a faint sound, and then the unit would eject. The only way that I can get a tape into the machine is by hand. When I get the tape into the machine manually, it isn't seat properly, so it tries to eject. Unfortunately, eject mechanism sounds, but it won't eject the tape at all unless I manually move the cassette housing by hand. I have the service manual for the machine and I've gone through everything, but I can't seem to find out how to fix this problem.

Everything else works on this machine, the record and playback work perfectly, its just that I can only manually load and eject the tape by hand.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I've been thinking about sending it into JVC for repair but I'd hate to have them overcharge me. And no, I don't wanna throw out this machine, as I think that this a great machine, even better than some of the DVHS machines for playing back VHS and Super VHS tapes.

jbd5010 03-30-2011 12:07 PM

Does the eject motor seem to work? Or could it just be a worn out eject motor?

I have a bunch lying around... if you think you need a new one, let me know the part number and I'll see if I might have one.

kpmedia 03-30-2011 02:49 PM

I have a similar issue with a JVC SR-V10U, where the transport is malfunctioning. As much as I know about S-VHS VCRs, JVC brands in particular, I can't seem to locate an obvious problem. I can only assume that the motor may be blown on it. For that reason, I'm taking it in to a trusted repair service next time I take a road trip. (I'd mail it, if I didn't already have a trip scheduled in that general direction within the next few months.)

These guys have proven themselves to us: http://www.jotselectronics.com/
Yeah, their website looks like it was designed in 1995, but don't let that fool you.
Their fees are far more reasonable than JVC, and their techs more competent. ($30 diag, for example. Or re-alignments $75)

As with your 6900, the V10 won't seat properly with manual insertion. The transport has several gears and levers that are supposed to work in unison, and that just doesn't happen when you manually insert and pull/turn the obvious knobs and gears.

No, DO NOT THROW THE MACHINE OUT -- that would be a bad choice. :eek:

Let Jots fix it.

Even if a repair ran $100-150 (including shipping both ways, etc) -- it's a bargain. You can never replace that VCR. Fix it.
Or sell it in our Marketplace forum (free, no fees). Definitely don't throw it out.

Jpass992 04-06-2011 05:48 PM

Alright here's what happens when I try to insert a tape into the unit. I push the tape into the machine, and the motor makes a faint whining noise. After that, the unit shuts down. The only way I can get the tape into the machine is by manually pushing it in. Then, I have to manually move the gear on the cassette housing that loads the tape. Once I do that, all functions work properly. When I press the eject button on the VCR, the tape goes back into the cassette as it should, and the VCR makes a noise like its trying to eject, but it doesn't eject. The only way I can get it out is by moving the gear that loads and unloads the tape from the machine. I've checked the belts on the cassette housing and they look fine to me. Could it be a broken belt underneath the machine?

Also, at one time I had tried a cassette housing from a parts 6900, but it still wouldn't work. Can anyone diagnosis this problem for me?

admin 04-06-2011 08:44 PM

I had this happen --TWICE NOW! (ugh!) -- when a deck was zapped by a major power outage. I lost two of my favorite VHS VCRs this way. One wasn't on a battery (my own dumb mistake), while the other one was. The surge was so strong it blew out the UPS battery and the VCR turned off with a loud and audible "pop" sound.

The electronics were fried.

Now, on a JVC unit, I had a similar issue. For that deck, I simply cleaned it. There was tiny dust and debris in the track of various moving parts, and it would cause the unit to seize up. I did completely dismantle the unit, over a period of several days. Not fun.

Jpass992 04-09-2011 04:20 PM

Just would like to let everyone know that I have the service manual and I took it apart to see the mechanism and then the machine would no longs er turn on. I suspect that a fuse could have blown in the power supply. I still want to get this machine repaired, as I don't want to hunt down another model of this machine on ebay so I sent an email to Jots Electronics just a few minutes ago so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I think this is pretty cool so I'd figure I'd share this with everyone. For this machine, I virtually have the original box, except it says 4900U instead of 6900U on it, all of the original packing materials, and all of the original accessories mint in box. This machine itself even has the original factory sticker on it!!! So I'm definately going to get this machine working no matter what.

lordsmurf 04-09-2011 07:45 PM

Is there a fuse? If so, dismantle the power supply, and remove it. As a warning, it may be as fun as mowing the year -- with a razor blade. Removing the fuse from an AG-1980P is an exercise in patience and aggravation. When I last did that, I was tempted to throw the VCR against a wall at least 1-2 times during the ordeal. It was not made to be a user-serviceable part on the 1980, so it was not put into any kind of convenient location to replace effortlessly.

You also need to match the exact fuse, which may require importing one from Japan. Don't use an American fuse that is "good enough" or otherwise close to the rating. Ignore anything told to you by an electronics professional -- it's not true. Get the exact, identical fuse, or you'll have other power-related symptoms pop up after the repair. For example, on-screen noise in the video signal.

Jpass992 04-09-2011 11:05 PM

Lordsmurf, the machine in question here is a JVC HR S6900U, one of the Super VHS VCRs that is prefered for dubbing. What happened was that I had taken the machine apart to try to find out why the machine wouldn't load and unload tapes and then all of a sudden, the machine just died on me. The machine wouldn't come on at all. I believe it is still a valuable machine to fix, as the picture quality is greater than that of the later JVC SVHS VCRs. In addition to that, I even have the semi original box with all of the original packing materials plus accessories. To answer your question, there is a fuse that is located inside the power supply of the unit. I'd prefer not to mess with the machine anymore, as I don't want to make the repair cost higher than it already is. I guess I will check the service manual to see if the part number for the fuse is listed there. Thank you for your input though!!!!

jbd5010 04-10-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpass992 (Post 15281)
I still want to get this machine repaired, as I don't want to hunt down another model of this machine on ebay so I sent an email to Jots Electronics just a few minutes ago so I'm waiting to hear back from them.

In case you change your mind, happened to see this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-HR-S6900U-SV...-/230608056675

Jpass992 04-11-2011 06:58 AM

Thanks very much for showing me that. However, I have seen that auction up many times before. I am also the guy who bought the 6900U that was on ebay in February for $99.00 on ebay that came with everything mint in box. The only problem with it was that the machine had the dreaded white streak problem, so every tape that I had put into the machine for playback had white comets shooting across the screen. Supposedly this guy had a 100% feedback as well. Also, on that one machine, the rewind motor out of play mode is really squeaky so I guess the machine needs to be lubricated, have some belts replaced.

The one other thing that is unique about this unit is that it is one of the first 6900U's ever produced, as the manual was printed in June '93 and the loading motor of the machine says the unit was produced on June 22, 1993. The other thing thats different about this machine is the rosewood side panels. On the first models, the holes for the screws were longer, so they had to use longer screws, as supposed to the machines that were produced in late 1993/1994. So I'm keeping my hands crossed to see if Jots can quote me a good price on this machine. Just out of curiousity, do you think I could get this thing working even though the power died on the unit?

admin 04-11-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

do you think I could get this thing working even though the power died on the unit?
Yes, it's possible.
I've resuscitated quite a few pieces of video gear through the years.

Jpass992 04-11-2011 04:01 PM

Alright everyone I have some news. Jots electronics wrote back and said this to me:

Quote:

Without seeing it, we can only guess, based on similar problems. So, if the problem is typical, you'd be looking at around $90 labor and approx $30 in parts, or around $120 total. Of course, sometimes these things can be more complicated, and then the cost can be greater. The minimum labor for VCRs is $60 (the $90 is typical in your situation). You would have to pay $30 for the evaluation upon check-in, (which will apply to the total repair cost). If parts exceed, in this case, $30, you would have to approve the repair based on a new estimate.
The question is, do you think that this is a good price? I considered sending the VCR to JVC, however, they charge $50 dollars just to look at it because it is out of warranty and they also charge $85 dollars for labor. So right off the bat, that is $135 dollars for JVC. I think that this place sounds more reasonable and I would like to know what you guys think.

kpmedia 04-12-2011 05:28 AM

I've used Jots since the 1980s. Was a walk-in customer for many years. They'd fix everything from Nintendo systems to camcorders to VCRs. Yes, I trust them -- more than I would trust JVC support for a VCR. (MAC warranty support is worse yet.) Those fees are reasonable, and haven't changed much in 10 years. Very good price.

Bugs.Bunny 04-13-2011 01:41 PM

Some info on how to repair common defects of
JVC HR-S4700
JVC HR-S5800
JVC HR-S6800
can be found here on this german tech blog:
http://translate.google.com/translat...n.html&prev=_t

lordsmurf 04-14-2011 12:40 AM

15 Attachment(s)
Good stuff. :thumb:

Sadly some of it is lost in translation. When I get some time, I want to come back to this post and clean up what's written here for a more accurate English language version. Neither Google nor Yahoo/Babelfish do it justice.

Quote:

The many flaws of the JVC HR-S4700 and his identical brothers and bauähnlichen

The JVC HR-S4700 is probably the best video recorders ever built. built-friendly service and excellent image quality with a sharp, stable and low-noise picture. But unfortunately, the device has many little quirks that make everyday life better than no fun. Since I have now gained some experience with the recorder, I am trying now to build a list that shows as many problems of the recorder together with solutions. It can therefore be dressing this unit a few steps to a top-recorder. Or not, because some problems, I still have not solved.

This list is largely for the following models:
- JVC HR-S4700 and identical: C1250 HIFI Telefunken, Saba VR-6880, Nordmende V6400S
- JVC HR-S5800 and identical: a1250n HIFI Telefunken, Saba VR-6780, Nordmende V6005S
- JVC HR-S6800

These recorders are virtually identical, differing only in some smallrange features, namely: the HR-S4700 and all identical to only the remote control. The HR-S5800 is originally a jog dial on the device, on identical models from Telefunken, Saba and Nordmende only on the remote. All other features are identical and fall into the idea of the appliances Telefunken C1250. This Kaptiel deals with the technical problems and their solutions. Additionally, it contains in the blog a little "mod," for the display of the original HR-S4700

The power supply:
Without power, no function. Without clean energy not a clean function. A properly functioning power supply, making it the "nuts and bolts" of a wellfunctioning recorder. Weakness of the power supply, the capacitors. While JVC has built high quality electrolytic capacitors from Panasonic and Elna, they are protected from aging and not 100%. And after 15 years nunmal the highest quality capacitors are at the end when the recorder as a permanent Clock with image display in a much too narrow a TV stand rack.
- Symptoms: Dark Display (can be corrected only partly because vacuum fluorescence displays are also subject to normal aging, some improvement, however, can achieve now), line drop-outs, electronic and mechanical failures due to low voltages, recorder does not start (Keywords: switching power supply and Anschwingkondensator)
- Problem: capacitors aged
- Solution: Replace capacitors From left to right: Power supply with old capacitors, old capacitors soldered, new capacitors, new capacitors soldered, new electrolytics version 2 (this time only low-ESR electrolytic capacitors from Panasonic, Rubycon, no Yageo and other cheap brands more) and the SMD Becherelkos for head drum, Y / C module and audio module and equipped with new power supply capacitors in the Rubycon-Panasonic version.
Note: Some of the built-in electrolytic capacitors exceed the dimensions of the old capacitors. This one has certainly a little trick, but that's no problem. Tip: On the small circuit board and begin preliminary work from left to right, before the larger capacitors soldered every now and then fold the boards. Some capacitors are not found in Conrad, Reichelt or Kessler, but only for RS Components. Since I am in RS from the fact that it sees itself as a dealer for commercial customers, initially had to be deterred, I then unfortunately only ordered the capacitors, which I did not get to Conrad (after I found out that you can stand can register as a private person). For RS leads the high quality Panasonic FM series, and to which I would recommend it. Nevertheless, I put out my original order list as an Excel spreadsheet online here. This has largely electrolytic capacitors Conrad (most of Yageo, many of which are high-quality low-ESR capacitors can, but still not "anstinken" against the Panasonic FM) and only the procurable not there from RS. But I would advise you to build up the list of electrolytic capacitors from RS again. Note: RS sold many capacitors in larger packaging units, such as 5 piece. All electrolytic capacitors from RS on this list are Panasonic electrolytic capacitors. (The Excel spreadsheet: JVCHR-S4700NetzteilKondensatoren.xls) Since I Yageo Capacitor by Conrad but not so much trust, I have now put together again with capacitors in the range of RS is a list of all the electrolytic capacitors, which should be exchanged on a regular overhaul. This includes the SMD Becherelkos of head cylinder engine, audio board and Y / C Board (Replacement model: Panasonic SVseries), and all power supply capacitors, which are entirely replaced by very high-quality long-life low-ESR electrolytic capacitors (Panasonic FC-Series Panasonic FM series, Rubycon YXF Series): JVCHR-S4700KondensatorenRS.xls

The threading roller units:
The threading roller units are the heart of the band's management. Pull the belt around the drum. The brass bolts fall ever like out of the threading roller units. Then hang the wrong carriage or not at all in their leadership, the band does not have full contact with the head drum or even gets more creased with no clean running threading. Merely pumping does not help, the bolt would relatively quickly fall out of the threading roller units, especially when threading work because large forces on the upper guide pin. The safest would be to replace the threading roller units. accomplish this, without having to pull out from the new shoe to the nuts and bolts to (makes no sense, then the new and broken), the head-drum unit be developed together with end stops solve (two screws at the record amplifiers, details of which remove three screws on the head drum, pull off power cable with green connector from the head-amp, remove the head drum). Moreover, after which the tape guide to be adjusted, clean and you can only do with measuring tape and oscilloscope. Alternative: do you clean the brass pin with alcohol, a high-quality adhesive with at (Uhu not help much, as has been her strong Pattex or better still, two-component adhesive) and the pin inserted into it again in his leadership. Tip: Even with removed drive to get better at threading roller units, if one expands the cartridge slot and the loading motor rotates until the loading arms, including threading roller units moved slightly to the rear.
- Symptoms: artifacts, and sometimes charge strange noises and / or wrinkled tapes
- Problem: brass bolt from threading roller units fell, thus threading roller units jumped from leadership
- Solution: Glue the brass bolt threading roller units or replace and adjust belt tracking again.

The intermediate:
(Transport?)
The recorder, like most consumer devices, and even many in the case of Panasonic Professional, single engine. That is, the reel is driven by the capstan motor. The Capstan transmits its power through a flat, square or belt (the HR-S4700 has been chosen with the timing belt for the most robust and reliable solution) to the clutch. The transfers, it is not locked because the fast coil, only a certain torque on the intermediate gear which drives the reel. This ensures that the reel, which wound up due to their gear ratio and the large roll of tape is much faster than the capstan furnish at constant speed band, just as quickly turn that the unwound tape from the capstan also wound up. The intermediate, as I said between clutch and the disc home, is stiff with time. It also used to flip a Gleitfilz that is smooth with time. Some hobbyists disassemble the intermediate wheel, clean it and rough on the felt. But that does not often satisfactory. A new intermediate costs just 10 € and should be required during the overhaul of the recorder.
- Symptoms: tape loops caused by lack of train on the disc ("Band Salad"), Ruckle in coils (especially when rewinding), recorder stops at the coils and goes into standby (error), especially during the slow coils near the end of the cassette, as the tension is not sufficient
- Problem: Worn idler
- Solution: clean intermediate and felt rough up, install more new intermediate.

The Capstan Pulley:
The small gear on the capstan, the technical term also called Capstan pulley drives the belt in the clutch. Unfortunately, with time breaks down and dilapidated. Then it follows the force of gravity, the timing belt drive has no more remain, the reel stand. Results: tape loops when playing as the capstan with the help of the press wheel of course gets going first with the play, threading the tape loops, since the absence of rotation of winding the tape and can not be zurückgefädelt. Who had several recorders of this type, which is striking, we come close to only two types: the original with the white gear, which is already torn (see magnifying right), and the intact with a black gear. Only very rarely does one of recorder, where even the white original gear is intact with no cracks, but all the doubters who think the plan is due to the high frequency already work for state said that is not standard. You have several options here. The most expensive, and probably with guns sparrows, the complete replacement of the capstan motor. Somewhat "soft" would be the replacement of the capstan flywheel on which depend the capstan shaft and the gear, one such as getting or individually. The gear itself is an inexpensive replacement part that you (take depending on the design of the flywheel that is sitting tight, the hold may help out more with a good glue or epoxy glue) in the range of 5 € for a couple of two gears. Of course one can also stick the broken gear again, if necessary, file out before something so that it is not the crack bends up (leading to imbalances and thus promote a fast recovery to the vibrations fall). But this is by far the worst solution.
- Symptoms: No reel-rotation, no matter in what direction. Episode: "Band Salad"
- Problem: Capstan Pulley broken and fallen
- Solution: gear stick back, better replace gear, flywheel, or the whole engine.

The cargo gear: (cargo?)
Good to know: How to set the charging gear? If you have increased the loading bay or even the drive, then it must be taken that certain positions are back in gear. First, make sure that the replacement of the load shaft gear to the load transmission of the charging slot on the drive is present (there is a second position further away from the chassis so that when turning the loading motor of the loading bay is not served). Second, prior to installation of the loading chute, make sure that the two large gears (the pinch-cam wheel and the pinch-Absenkzahnrad) in a certain position are: One hole in each gear must be the hole below the chassis overlap, the another hole in the cam wheel has a small nipple on the Absenkzahnrad face (see picture left). Is not in the position just so disturbs the function ctually does not (it should already be in tune if the holes overlap, because otherwise it may get interference, but as long as the holes somewhat overlap, everything works). However, listening to eject the tape at some struggled. With a little fine tuning you can achieve a much smoother and quieter cassette ejection.
- Symptoms: Loading gear whines when you eject the cassette tape is ejected rather abruptly
- Problem: Gear position adjusted minimum
- Solution: Remove the charging slot and adjust gear position minimal

The head drum condenser
Under the head drum, a small 3.3µF SMD Becherelko sits and a voltage rating of 50V. A major weakness of this recorder, the solid electrolytic capacitor aging, which can lead to various image disorders. Line dropouts, jitter (wavering edges of the image) or even strips and other disturbances in the image can be the result. The capacitor is essential for the speed of the drum head relevant is the capacity back due to age, it can not be regulated out clean. The capacitor can be replaced with a 3.3µF capacitor, it is said in various forums but also repair, 4.7µF would also be okay. Turns out on aged and possibly head drums 4.7µF even be better. Try it here is called for. In any case, you should start with 3.3µF, there must be no SMD-Elko, with a bit of soldering artwork, like the right image with a 3.3µF and a 4.7µF capacitor, can also be applied normal capacitors.
- Symptoms: Interference (line drop outs, jitter, stripe)
- Problem: 3.3µF SMD Becherelko below the head drum dried
- Solution: Replace Elko

The audio switcher:
The recorder will switch to its various audio sources via a small audio switcher board. This sits piggyback on one of the big boards. In fact, it is the one that sits in the right recorder wall to below the top of seeing motherboard. To get hold of the Switchboard, the top plate will be released (all the screws are on top, and some in the back of the recorder) prefer the big board gently up and away to the right. The board can also remove completely. The underlying boards, that is the right upright board on which is the audio module, and the underlying audio-servo mechacon board, you have a little lift, then you can unsolder the audio board. On this there are some SMD Becherelkos, the dry time. If these aged too much, you experience sound problems. The sound is distorted or missing altogether. This concerns not usually the overall tone, but as your only source tone at an input or just the hi-fi sound when playing. The audio card is also available as an complete module, but the prices are far away from any good taste.
- Symptoms: sound is missing or distorted (for example, only hi-fi sound or on a particular input)
- Problem: SMD-Becherelkos on the audio-aged Switchboard
- Solution: Replace capacitors, if the IC has made to the switchboard by a shorted capacitor damage in doubt the entire Switchboard by a substitute, on a battlefield unit

The Y / C Board
Also, the Y / C module is a small circuit board on one of the sub-boards. You can see in the picture next to this board. The large board is seen here, the video board. It is under the large overhead motherboard. How to develop the Y / C module, screw it on the mainboard (brass screws at the top, several black screws on the back of recorder) and remove and flip the main board. Under the motherboard sits the video board. The white retaining tabs and remove the board downward fold away. There you see two small sub-board, which is located behind the Y / C module. A repair or in particularly bad cases, an exchange (of battle equipment, the new price is a bad joke) is necessary if the recorder is held when playing wild Farbspielchen or the picture only black and white checkerboard patterns with reproducing. Reason: VHS and S-VHS Under working with color. Since the bandwidth is not enough to 5MHz write off what you need for a composite PAL signal would be to be able to save the rear modulated color distortion, modulated to the color signal simply a reduced color carrier (Colour Under). Instead of the 4.43MHz color subcarrier during now sits in the few-hundred-MHz range. Of course, the brightness signal is then compressed together in the range a little further up and modulated. And made the play all have it back. This is what makes the Y / C module. Then there are two SMD Becherelkos, and like so many SMD Becherelkos in this device are not exactly those of the most robust species. Also sits adjacent to the Y / C module of the 4.43MHz crystal, which may also be responsible for such problems. It is best to exchange directly to the crystal and the capacitors.
- Symptoms: wild type games when playing or b / w image with checkerboard patterns (Note: Check will not play possibly a SECAMWest video or the AV1 output is set to S-video, television stands, but on a composite or vice versa)
- Problem: SMD-aged Becherelkos to Y / C module and / or defective 4.43MHz quartz adjacent to Y / C Module
- Solution: Replace capacitors and quartz

The semiconductor fuses:

The recorder has a range of semiconductor fuses. These strange things look like normal TO-92 transistors, a leg is lost. This is to fuse, usually in the range of 1A current, which can be built much more compact than conventional fuses. These semiconductor fuses protect certain areas of the recorder again from extra. Includes one example on the motor-12V line in a particular area of the recorder, the supply falls short of only this area but the rest do not. It is happened to me when I a user manual from the Telefunken C1250 Service Manual followed: Pins 2 and 3 short sighted on the right to plug the charging cradle, and to perform tests without mechanical loading bay can. This is exactly the thing is motor-12V and GND. Due to the semiconductor, left in the picture the gehimmelte of this short-circuit protection CP-601 (semiconductor fuse is a type ICP-N38) so only the power to the photocells in the cargo bay was broken. The loading motor, the drum motor, all of which were still current. So if somewhere gives some the impression that it would get garkeine operating voltage, the power supply does not always have to be broken somewhere along the way can also be a semiconductor fuse burns. This must then be sought in their painstaking efforts and with the aid of diagrams.
- Symptoms: no power Specific parts of the recorder, other parts "well supplied"
- Problem: Semiconductor fuse defective
- Solution: look semiconductor fuse and replace

The great unknown:

Of course this is only an outline of the most typical problems of this recorder. So I am still having problems on some recorders, the most radical cause, despite Elko cure still line drop outs, where others have no problems, but also recorders of this type, showing that this is a must. In addition, of course, other things go broke, and these errors I'm still trying to grasp.
Does look like he's solved the drop-out issue, either. :(

lordsmurf 04-14-2011 12:40 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Rest of the files for the above post.