Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Free Member

Hey guys!!!! I have been looking for a JVC HR S10000U, and I was wondering what do you think a reasonable price for this machine is. I would like that the machine have all doors intact, original rosewood side panels, and the three original manuals that came with the unit, and the remote. I bid on a machine on ebay today that had all of this, but lost the auction. The price of that machine went for $122.50. However, although the guy said that the machine was in great condition and was just stored away for a while, he had a no return policy, which makes me suspicious as to whether the machine actually worked or not. I'm guessing that a working one with all of what I described could go for as much as $150 - $250, but I am not sure. Also, if anyone wants to sell their machine, please feel free to quote me a price, as I am interested in buying one.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Any particular reason you are after one of these?

The HR-S10000U was released in the early 90's as JVC's flagship model. It was targeted at prosumer customers and A/V folks who wanted a "trophy" VCR to display. The only unique feature it had was the ability to insert edit Hi-Fi audio, which worked fairly poorly. Today its sought after by collectors since it was a top end model, a fully working deck complete with the remote and manuals will fetch quite a bit of money. Its video playback performance was nothing special (no TBC or DNR on these machines) and most used decks are in need of repairs with no spare parts available.
04-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Free Member

I'm actually looking for one of these because I am interested in playing around with the editing capabilities of the unit. I am also looking for this machine because I haven't heard lots of good things about the other JVC SVHS models. I've heard that the early released models, JVC HR S8000U/5000U/5500U/6600U/4700U/6700U had problems with the hi fi audio in which it would drop out. Later models, such as the HR S4900U/6900U/5100U/7100U/5200U/7200U/5300U/7300U/5400U/9400U had a problem with the static brush in which it would wear down and produce white streaks all across the picture. I've gotta be honest, the build quality of the JVC HR S10000U seems better to me than the JVC decks that I've mentioned above. I've considered the Panasonic AG 1980, but I just don't like the idea that most of these machines come from college surplus, and are mostly abused, and ontop of that, don't even come with the original remotes.

I have also considered the JVC BR S378U, the prosumer cousin of the 10000U, but it seems as if the BR S378U lacks some features that the 10000U has, and it also doesn't seem that well built. I actually got a BR S378U once off of ebay, and it was a tape eater and the transport mechanism was out of alignment.

In regards to your comment that there are no spare parts available, I have checked on JVC service.com and they seem to still sell parts for this machine. Also, I am not sure if anyone knows this, but there is a website known as www.ued.net that actually still sells the parts for these machines that no one else has. As a matter of fact, they even sell parts down to the original screws of the casing and even the original boxes of the machine.

The last feature that I liked about this machine was the ability of it to erase a whole entire tape. I make old video game videos, and I hate to record over used tapes and still have remnants of the old signal still there. I'd prefer to be able to erase my old tapes instead of having to hunt down new SVHS tapes, which are getting harder to come by. Also, another feature that had fascinated me was the built in titler, which I don't think is on any other consumer or pro JVC SVHS machine.

So, what do you guys think of the JVC HR S10000U compared to the JVC BR S378U?
04-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The HR-S10000U is a pretty crummy machine in my experiences. Indirectly, not as owner of one. But the shoddy quality was fairly evident in recordings. I have more that I want to share, but weather is about to knock me offline for many hours, I think.

There are decent degaussers out there to be had, and I'd rather go that route as opposed to putting more wear and usage hours on a VCR.

I think a HR-S10000 will be far more abused than an AG-1980P VCR. At least the AG-1980s were still being made new not too many years ago. That JVC model, however, is ancient.

Will post more soon...

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Free Member

Just out of curiousity, does anyone think that the broadcast store is a good place to find these machines? Today I stumbled upon the website, and I have requested quotes for both the JVC HR S10000U and the JVC BR S378U. I'm open to all options, and lordsmurf, I'm interested in as to why you didn't like the JVC HR S10000U. I just really thought that the build quality was better than some other JVC's, who were plagued with chronic transport problems from the hi fi dropouts to the white streak problem. Also, I must admit, the newer JVC's don't handle normal audio that well at all. When I play back a certain tape that was recorded in normal audio on my JVC SR V101US and my JVC HM DT100U, they both seem to produce an annoying high pitch. When I try the same tape on my JVC HR S6900U, I don't get the annoying audio problem at all.
04-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Try a Panasonic... honestly. JVC might have invented the format, but their machines are a bit.... special in some ways. Panasonic built some solid machines over the years and was by far the most prolific producer or (S)VHS machines over the years. At one point in the 80's, pretty much every major brand of VHS VCR was produced by Panasonic and re-branded.
04-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
Try a Panasonic... honestly.
Yes. The AG-1980P / AG-1980 model.

Panasonic is not "better" than JVC as much as it's just different.
But different can be good, because all your tapes tend to act differently.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
04-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Free Member

I'll be honest. My aunt has a Panasonic PV S7670 back from 1998. Compared to my JVC's, the Panasonic is crap. The image quality is alot grainer than that of a JVC unit in my opinion. As much as JVC has alot of flaws in their units, I am sure that they might be the best at the format. The real problem with the earlier JVC's were the hi-fi audio drop out problem and the white streak problem. The thing that turns me off about Panasonic's is what I've read about the capacitors going bad in them causing video playback defects. I also seems to me that the JVC's from the late 1990's and early 2000's lacked on the quality of the transport mechanism resulting in an inferior picture than that of their predecessors from the early 90's and late 80's. Also, the build quality of the machines from the late 1990's and early 2000's was pretty cheap too. I just returned an HR S9400U that I got on ebay that was broken........ the machine was made in 1997, and when I opened up the machine, the mechanism looked very fragile. I've also had a look in the HR S2902U and the SR V101US, which I own, and the build quality of the machines are fragile, and also the mechanism is fragile as well. And I'll tell you this too...... on the later JVC's, preferablly after the 4900U/6900U/5100U/7100U, the transport mechanism is very slow at loading and ejecting tapes. I've owned both the 6900U and 7100U so I can compare to the newer decks. Also, when tapes are loaded, rew and ff are very slow as well.
04-28-2011, 05:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
I'll be honest. My aunt has a Panasonic PV S7670 back from 1998. Compared to my JVC's, the Panasonic is crap.
You can't go by brand name alone.

Those consumer grade Panasonic VCRs have issues. Pretty much any consumer VCR made after 1995 is a piece of crap, with few exceptions (Sharp, mostly, and it's re-brands like Admiral). The end-of-life Panasonic VCRs had horrible blue screen issues.

Quote:
The image quality is alot grainer than that of a JVC unit in my opinion.
Yes and no. By default, the AG-1980P, for example, has oversharp image. Either JVC or Panasonic left in EDIT mode leave in errant non-picture video signal noise, which is just grain. Some people confuse this with "detail" because grain and small chaotic noise gives the illusion of sharpness and detail.

Quote:
As much as JVC has alot of flaws in their units, I am sure that they might be the best at the format.
Generally true, yes. The 9600-9900, and SR-V10U, for example, are excellent machines that work with most tapes.

Quote:
I also seems to me that the JVC's from the late 1990's and early 2000's lacked on the quality of the transport mechanism resulting in an inferior picture than that of their predecessors from the early 90's and late 80's.
Yes and no. Those decks with better transports than the popular latter models are often given overly rosy feedback that overlooks the quirks and issues of those units.

Quote:
I've also had a look in the HR S2902U and the SR V101US, which I own, and the build quality of the machines are fragile, and also the mechanism is fragile as well.
JVC really cheaped out on their final S-VHS models, of which both of those are. Earlier units from the 3500-3800 (pre-2901) were nicer. Same for the SR-V10U, which I have several copies of.

Quote:
on the later JVC's, preferablly after the 4900U/6900U/5100U/7100U, the transport mechanism is very slow at loading and ejecting tapes. I've owned both the 6900U and 7100U so I can compare to the newer decks. Also, when tapes are loaded, rew and ff are very slow as well.
That's a good thing. Tapes are fragile, and VCRs should not abuse the tapes like many VCRs do, treating the tape REW/FF like it was a Nascar race, or kicking the tape out like a bouncer does to a disorderly drunk.

Quote:
The thing that turns me off about Panasonic's is what I've read about the capacitors going bad in them causing video playback defects
And audio defects, I think. I have issues with one of the AG-1980s here. I avoid using it, when I can.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Free Member

Lordsmurf, as much as I do agree with your comments, I believe that there are some JVC SVHS machines with a feature known as full area fine that could possibly improve the quality more than any other VCR. I was reading up about this, and supposedly, it stops the head switching at the bottom of the image. For a person that would dub tapes over to DVD, that would honestly be better than having the head switching that the bottom of the image. In essence, this could at least make the transferred tape look like the quality of a LaserDisc at least, since LaserDisc doesn't have the head switching noise at the bottom of the image. I have done some research and apparently there are two machines with that function. One is the consumer model JVC HR S5800U and the other machine is the industrial/broadcast model JVC BR S378U. I've checked the parts lists for both machines online, and both machines are virtually identical, in respect to the head drums, loading motors, etc.
The following users thank Jpass992 for this useful post: smartel (05-10-2011)
05-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Generally speaking, it's just as easy to mask overscan noise with a black matte, after/during editing or final MPEG-2 encoding. The only time you really don't have the ability to mask overscan is when using a DVD recorder. (Live MPEG capturing tools, like ATI MMC or ATI CMC, when used on an ATI card, mask overscan via the "MPEG-2 DVD" setting with "cropping" enabled.)

Even with head switching noise removed, the overscan still has some noise bits, depending on the original source.

Also note that head switching noise can be recorded into the original signal, therefore impossible to remove in any way.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
05-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Free Member

see this thread;

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post15586

Catch the Spirit of a True ΩPIONEER

Last edited by Tasuke; 05-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.
04-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpass992 View Post
Hey guys!!!! I have been looking for a JVC HR S10000U, and I was wondering what do you think a reasonable price for this machine is. I would like that the machine have all doors intact, original rosewood side panels, and the three original manuals that came with the unit, and the remote. I bid on a machine on ebay today that had all of this, but lost the auction. The price of that machine went for $122.50. However, although the guy said that the machine was in great condition and was just stored away for a while, he had a no return policy, which makes me suspicious as to whether the machine actually worked or not. I'm guessing that a working one with all of what I described could go for as much as $150 - $250, but I am not sure. Also, if anyone wants to sell their machine, please feel free to quote me a price, as I am interested in buying one.
I know it has been about a year, but wondered if you are still looking. Mine is in perfect condition and meets all of your criteria. Could not part with it before, but now I need the money.
03-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Free Member

I also have 2 of these forgoten relics still in the box. Selling both. Make an offer if still interested.
(Sorry if too late)
03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Free Member

Yes I am interested. Send me a pm?
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Free Member

Hi folks,

I have a 10000u deck that works really well. I had a question though. Does anyone else experience an extremely loud "chirp" in the audio when the player falls back from a HiFi audio track to the analog stereo tracks? I can also replicate this playing with the tracking control. Is it a setting that can be changed?

thanks!
03-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Free Member

Hey panaflex, is what you're referring to a hi-fi dropout? I think the JVCs of that era were affected by hi-fi dropouts, specifically the 8000U/5500U/10000U. They all are in the same family. Is there anyway you can upload a clip with the machine doing this?
I myself got a 10000U where it doesn't want to playback hi-fi anymore. Anybody know what that sounds like? Do I need to replace the drum?
03-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Free Member

I'll record a sample and post it shortly.

I think the chirping was a symptom of a bigger problem. Now when a hifi track is detected, I only get very low DB on the left channel and silence on the right. Conventional tracks work fine. Sounds like I need to open up the machine and start digging around. Dropping out of Hifi doesn't chirp anymore. Oh well. thanks everyone for offering to help.
11-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Free Member

I have a create a title, though this is in a thread, normally old queries stay old, and often unanswered. I bought two of these classic decks as well, hoping one be a donor machine, but they do have weak video heads, and is often the case, presume belts as well. There's still a demand as mentioned, Both Betamax and VHS, I went after Mitsubishi top end 80s decks, and even tried NEC's digital EFX S-VHS. Wound up with a full size S-VHS camcorder as well still in my collection. I'm surprised there's negative stance against the 10000, it's JVC's answer to Sony's SL-HF1000, which is the top deck ever made. It does have the most features of any deck I know, and should be built like a tank from the looks and weight of it! The transports are were key failure lie, but I would hope a nice retro-upgrade can bring more years and performance from it. My main issue is all other editing decks have Jog Shuttle via remote, this JVC DOES NOT, only available via the deck. I bought a Sony GCS-50 to allow me the same luxury of 4 distinct audio tracks, stereo linear, and stereo HiFi, and you can dub over them! Mic jacks and Simulcast recording, even with a dead analog tuner, hooking up other video sources still allow you to get creative. Add to all this fun, I once had a Sony EV-S7000 Hi8 with PCM audio dubbing, I wish I'd never parted with it!!
11-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Slam View Post
I have a create a title, though this is in a thread, normally old queries stay old, and often unanswered.
You'll find that's an exception for our forum. We try to never, ever leave questions unanswered, and we try to never ignore anybody. Only through tech error, sometimes human error, is anything overlooked. This is one of the few sites online that actually staffs their forum with professionals in that field.

We're quite proud of this place.

Quote:
. I'm surprised there's negative stance against the 10000, it's JVC's answer to Sony's SL-HF1000, which is the top deck ever made. It does have the most features of any deck I know, and should be built like a tank from the looks and weight of it! The transports are where [sic] key failure lie, but I would hope a nice retro-upgrade can bring more years and performance from it.
That's why. That and lack of Digipure TBC. It's just too old.

Quote:
My main issue is all other editing decks have Jog Shuttle via remote
You shouldn't use it anyway. It can eat tapes. Either FF/REW while playing, or better yet, just find it with STOP/PLAY. Then you can scrub (REW/FF at you own speed digitally) in the timeline after capturing it.

Quote:
stereo linear, and stereo HiFi,
I've never seen a tape with this recorded onto the tape. And the recording is what matters here.

Quote:
and you can dub over them! Mic jacks and Simulcast recording, even with a dead analog tuner, hooking up other video sources still allow you to get creative. Add to all this fun, I once had a Sony EV-S7000 Hi8 with PCM audio dubbing, I wish I'd never parted with it!!
That part sounds interesting. They made some nifty editing features back then.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (11-06-2018)