digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Where does VirtualDub store its settings? Yikes! (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3324-virtualdub-store-settings.html)

Joekster 07-28-2011 09:38 AM

Where does VirtualDub store its settings? Yikes!

Where does Virtual Dub store its settings? In a file somewhere? Registry? (XPSP2) Elsewhere?

For the reasons described below, I removed and reinstalled Vdub (remove=delete its folder in ProgramFiles, install=unzipping the distribution.zip) version 1.9.11

Much to my surprise, as I was setting Capture File for this new "install", it knew the location where the PREVIOUS installation was putting the capture file, on my dedicated video drive.

Again, for the reasons described below, I think I must have put a "bad setting" into Vdub and the remove/reinstall was intended to go back to all original settings. Since Vdub remembered the output folder, maybe it's remembering whatever "bad setting" I put in.

I'm going to try for a few more hours while I hope for some internet-wisdom, but I'm getting close to an XP fresh install followed by capture software followed by Vdub. Yikes! Got a project due tomorrow.

Any idea where Vdub keeps its settings so I can wipe them out??

VOLUMINOUS DETAILS FOLLOW
Was doing capture with ATI All In Wonder, Radeon series, 7500 series model, and virtual dub. (KP-on your old machine)

Was capturing ok, with about 2 frames lost over the course of an hour
Changed some settings, trying for increased quality of the video.

All of a sudden, capture started dropping about 5 frames a second!

So far I have tried the following, IN ALL CASES the 5 frames a second maintains:
Tried original VHS (that had been capturing 100%) as source,
Tried commercial non-macrovisioned DVD as source,
Tried DVD that I authored as a source.
Verified that source video isn't particularly jumping around by connecting to a television, (video looked fine)

Tried UYVY in addition to the YUY2 that I had been using.

Tried compatability capturing F5 as well as F6.

No weird power events had happened (drop outs, lightning, etc) am on a UPS anyway.
Tried most Vdub Capture Pin settings from 720x480 thru the default of 320x480, what I had been using 320x240 down to 88x72.

Advice is happily accepted, even if the location of the Vdub settings doesn't turn out to be the key.

Off to the Vdub website now....Help!

Joe

-- merged --

Sorry to respond to myself, but my 60 min to edit the previous message has expired.

New test: Installed Vdub in a completely different folder. When I tried it for the first time, it already knew my Video folder. Same issue with dropping frames.

I've notice that if I look at the incoming video in Overlay it looks fine, and in Preview it has the issue. So, before and after going thru the capture software.

@KP - if I were to want to reinstall AIW drivers, etc, which one would you start with?

edit: reinstalled Huffy, no change. Didn't really expect it, give that I tried Huffy AND uncompressed with same result

admin 07-28-2011 01:03 PM

It's probably in the registry somewhere.
Start > Run > regedit and then Edit > Find > virtualdub --- and then see what pops up, if anything.

Why not just make a quickie test capture, to tell VDub about the "new" proper location to remember?

ATI is dropping frames in ATI AIW? That may be due to GOP or "quality" settings changes.
Don't put it at 99-100% quality, and then be mindful of GOP length.

Refer to the Dropped Frames guide. Maybe the hard drive jumped out of DMA mode? That happens sometimes.

Joekster 07-28-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 16754)
Start > Run > regedit and then Edit > Find > virtualdub --- and then see what pops up, if anything.

Why not just make a quickie test capture, to tell VDub about the "new" proper location to remember?

ATI is dropping frames in ATI AIW? That may be due to GOP or "quality" settings changes.
Don't put it at 99-100% quality, and then be mindful of GOP length.

Refer to the Dropped Frames guide. Maybe the hard drive jumped out of DMA mode? That happens sometimes.

Thanks!

Quote:

Oh yeah, forgot to write this: I searched registry for virtualdub, vdub (the folder where I put it), and the base name of the file. The ONLY hits I got were for the MRUs (Most Recently Used files for Explorer, etc). Maybe vdub is picking them up there.

Quote:

On the test capture to a different location: it's not that I wanted to change the file location, I wanted to change all settings to default, and I was using storage of the video output location as an indicator of whether I was back to defaults or not.

Quote:

Refer to the Dropped Frames guide.

Ohhhhhh, I did, alright, many many times. ;)

Quote:

Maybe the hard drive jumped out of DMA mode? That happens sometimes.

Now THAT is something I didn't look at. When I was first setting things up, I verified that the drive was in DMA, however, I did NOT look at it again. I'll look at it again in an hour - see next paragraph.

What I DID do, however, is remember that I had another installation of XP on the same system drive. I fired that one up. It didn't Vdub or Huffy, but it DID have drivers for ATI AIW installed. I got a fresh Vdub.zip and a fresh Huffy.rar.

Installed Huffy, and installed Vdub in a folder NOT in C:\Program Files. Fired up the new Vdub...and guess what? 0 dropped frames. I adjusted some resolution settings, etc, and finally found a combination that was pleasing. . .

. . .and NOW I'm back to production capture! WooHoo! I'm not going to touch that computer until after my captures are finished, then I'll investigate some more. It'll be good to know the technical reasons behind what's going on, but it'll bbe even BETTER to have some production finished!

21 minutes into the capture, and still ZERO dropped frames!

Thanks again for the response!
------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: found my solution in the VirtualDub forum:
whichever registry key applies

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\VirtualDub
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDub.org

They say delete the appropriate one of those^^^ and it's like a new install!
So, after my captures are over, I'll go back to the original install and try to clean it out.

lordsmurf 07-30-2011 05:04 PM

Interesting. I also would have figured it to be in the registry.
Searching with regedit the first time didn't locate the VirtualDub folders mentioned above? That's strange.

Thanks for sharing the solution, and not just leaving this post hanging. :)

Joekster 07-31-2011 01:05 AM

Well, when I do a registry search, I usually try to go for both the MOST specific and the LEAST specific strings I can imagine, and I also try for Match Exact String and Not Exact. I leave out the details, but a Regedit search for me in a multiple search thing. So, I'm surprised I didn't find it with "Find". Go figure.

SOMEtime I'll take a computer on which I've run Vdub, and figure out what went awry with Regedit "Find". . . but I just shot a wedding in 93 degrees at 110% humidity, and I'm a little tired. :)
Joe