digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   ATI software (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/337-ati-software.html)

tebriel 12-29-2008 04:27 PM

ATI software

So I've read all over, including this site about the problems that people have with ATI's drivers and MMC software. I have an ATI x800xt AIW. What would you guys recommend I use to capture off of a VHS/TV? I've spent alot of time just getting the software to work, and it only does so marginally.
thanks!
-teb

admin 12-29-2008 06:08 PM

Being one of the very last cards in the ATI AIW AGP Radeon series of cards, you'd want to stick to ATI Multimedia Center (ATI MMC) version 9.02, or ATI MMC 9.06 (if forced by the card's drivers -- some of the later cards only worked with certain 9.x versions and up). The drivers that are suggested would be whatever came on the disc with the card. Newer drivers available online would undoubtedly be "too new" for optimal performance as we suggest.

tebriel 12-31-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 1497)
Being one of the very last cards in the ATI AIW AGP Radeon series of cards, you'd want to stick to ATI Multimedia Center (ATI MMC) version 9.02, or ATI MMC 9.06 (if forced by the card's drivers -- some of the later cards only worked with certain 9.x versions and up). The drivers that are suggested would be whatever came on the disc with the card. Newer drivers available online would undoubtedly be "too new" for optimal performance as we suggest.

Do you know how to tell which version of MMC is on the disc I have? In your guides the screen shots you have look like it's from a newer version than I have on the disc, but I'm not sure.

admin 12-31-2008 03:48 PM

Most of the ATI installers are named after the MMC version. One file on my hard drive is named "mmc-8-9-0-0.exe" and that would be ATI MMC v8.9 setup file. Look around on the disc.

Otherwise, you'd have to install it. Early in the install process, it probably says what version it is.

It might even be printed on the disc, sometimes it was.

tebriel 12-31-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 1508)
Most of the ATI installers are named after the MMC version. One file on my hard drive is named "mmc-8-9-0-0.exe" and that would be ATI MMC v8.9 setup file. Look around on the disc.

Otherwise, you'd have to install it. Early in the install process, it probably says what version it is.

It might even be printed on the disc, sometimes it was.

Ok thanks,
i'll look around. What's irritating is that I got it to work last year, then the pc was in storage for a while and when i fired it back up the drivers for the capture device were gone. Now when i try to use it with new drivers it drops about 40% of the frames. sigh lol

tebriel 01-01-2009 01:33 PM

ok 9.03 is what's on the disk for mmc. I'll give that a shot.

admin 01-02-2009 01:54 AM

Yeah, give that a try.

The other major issue with capturing is to disable other software, especially anything running "TSR" down by the clock. That would be firewalls, anti-virus, etc. See the "avoid dropped frames" guide on the main digitalFAQ.com site for more details and a larger list.