digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Defective JVC HR-S9500 value, what should it cost ? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/3775-defective-jvc-s9500.html)

Mejnour 12-28-2011 09:15 PM

Defective JVC HR-S9500 value, what should it cost ?

Hi,

Maybe very hard question to answer. But what would you paid for a home use defective NTSC JVC-HR-S9500? (remote, manual, and original box included).

Guy said that he don't want bother to try to send it to the repair shop.

It's a roll in a dice I guess. May be easy to repair or impossible.

I am a good guy I don't want to insult him with my offer but also I want to go with the market, so I can argue that I did my homework.

Thanks

metaleonid 12-28-2011 11:18 PM

If it's not working, then $5-$10. I wouldn't give more. He is going to throw it anyway. You will pay for shipping and repair services.

NJRoadfan 12-29-2011 12:11 AM

If he is tossing it, then free is the best price. Otherwise get it for as cheap as possible, low ball then work your way up to your max price. Keep in mind the 9500 apparently doesn't have all the nice noise reduction filters the later 9600 and up has, just the TBC.

lordsmurf 12-29-2011 03:27 AM

I would not pay more than $25 max -- total, including any shipping.
Ideally, I'd rather pay $10-20 range.

This is not an ideal JVC S-VHS VCR. It's almost 20 years old, too. Not part of the final generation (about 1996-2002).

Also:
- Nobody really cares about the original box. Sure, it's nice, but it doesn't affect how the VCR works.
- The original manual is nice, but this site has archived PDFs.
- New remotes are $5 on eBay.

So those three benefits simply do not override the fact that this is a non-favorite model in non-working condition.
If the guy feels insulted, that's his problem. He's selling a near-worthless item.

If you'd like this VCR as a backup unit, it'd be worth $85 or so total, after repairs.

Mejnour 12-30-2011 08:12 AM

Very interesting information about noise reduction filter. Is it one of the reason why the 9500 is not in "bold" in the VCR buying guide?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRoadfan (Post 18660)
If he is tossing it, then free is the best price. Otherwise get it for as cheap as possible, low ball then work your way up to your max price. Keep in mind the 9500 apparently doesn't have all the nice noise reduction filters the later 9600 and up has, just the TBC.

lordsmurf 12-30-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mejnour (Post 18689)
Is it one of the reason why the 9500 is not in "bold" in the VCR buying guide?

Yes. :thumb:

The TBC helps to stabilize, helps to remove some chroma noise.
It provides a clean environment where additional clean-up filters can operate. However, the 9500 lacks such filters.

Later generations of JVC S-VHS VCRs all have added filters to improve quality.
  • EDIT mode turns off all filters.
  • NORM semi-aggressively cleans up the image, though it can leak into removing fine detail.
  • SOFT is similar to a small "smart" Gaussian blur, where non-borders are softened by a few pixels, averaging out noise.
  • SHARP increases noise, and is a mostly worthless filter. It does not add useful sharpness.

This is addressed in a number of guides and previous forum threads. :)

Mejnour 01-02-2012 09:31 AM

It's very interesting and all related to road map I guess. For example it mean that you have more possibility with the JVC HR-S7900U vs JVC HR-S9500U because the 7900 was probably release at the same time of 9600-9800.

Since I was looking for PAL VCR, I guess you applied the same logic (bold caracter) for the EK model. But I have a question, I regulary seeing some JVC PAL-VRC (EK; EU; E) tagged 9500 -9600. Can I assume the same roadmap relation vs U system?

I ask because in the VCR buying guide, PAL-VRC stop at JVC HR-S8965EK...and nothing is mentionned about E and EU.

Thanks

Quote:

The TBC helps to stabilize, helps to remove some chroma noise.
It provides a clean environment where additional clean-up filters can operate. However, the 9500 lacks such filters.

Later generations of JVC S-VHS VCRs all have added filters to improve quality.
  • EDIT mode turns off all filters.
  • NORM semi-aggressively cleans up the image, though it can leak into removing fine detail.
  • SOFT is similar to a small "smart" Gaussian blur, where non-borders are softened by a few pixels, averaging out noise.
  • SHARP increases noise, and is a mostly worthless filter. It does not add useful sharpness.

Mejnour 01-03-2012 02:15 PM

Finally I got this message from "less interesting" HR-S9500U owner telling him that I could not offer him much for x,y,z goods reasons that you guys mentionned above.

Quote:

Got a free estimate, and found out belt came off for tape loading mechanism.
It works now, but the picture is not focused.
First time I heard about focus problem on a VCR?

lordsmurf 02-01-2012 05:30 AM

I have no idea what a "focus problem" would be since a VCR is magnetic and not optical.

Mejnour 02-01-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 19236)
I have no idea what a "focus problem" would be since a VCR is magnetic and not optical.

Yeah I have the impression that may be a tracking problem, not a focus...anyway 9500 was not for me....

Acden 03-27-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Why do you think so? I just downloaded manuals for 9500U, 9500EK and both of them have TBC/NR, B.E.S.T./Active Video Calibration (US model) and at last, Digital R3.

From the manuals of both items:
Quote:

Digital R 3
Digital R3 picture system applies edge correction to the luminance
signal to enhance detail.

Active Video Calibration (the same as B.E.S.T. in other manual) checks the condition of the tape
during recording and playback, and compensates for poor
reproduction to provide the best quality recording and playback
pictures. *The default setting is "ON".
Why do you (and other members) write it has no filters???

lordsmurf 04-01-2012 08:38 AM

I really don't know. If you buy a 9500 PAL unit, just proceed with care.
As has been discussed in the past, sometimes JVC manuals have errors, and sometimes units had several variations.

If you come across a unit, and can confirm the presence of the TBC, let me know. (Make a new post, then PM me.) :)

Giana 04-01-2012 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
JVC hr-s9500EU pal, TBC has dnr. The main difference is that you can not change the video filters to Soft, Norm etc. .. I think the menu jvc BEST you can only disable on and off. The menu of the filters do not think there is.
I'm not sure they're the same machines as the 9600 series, 9700, 9850 PAL Asthe DigiPure they have the text, while the 9500 NO. I'm sure the 9500 has TBC/DNR

Acden 04-01-2012 03:02 PM

Giana, JVC 9500, surely has TBC (right up corner at your pictures also states it).

A lot models (maybe all) 7600+ (up to 9xxx) have TBC.

Acden 04-01-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giana (Post 20202)
JVC hr-s9500EU pal, TBC has dnr. The main difference is that you can not change the video filters to Soft, Norm etc. .. I think the menu jvc BEST you can only disable on and off. The menu of the filters do not think there is.

As I understand too, it is the only difference between 9500E/9600E.
oh, yes... 9600 has more buttons (i.e. tbc can be turned on/off from the front panel, not only remote. It is comfortable)