03-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Free Member

Hello.

Been searching for ever to find a way to do this, but havent found any before i found this site, so hopefully i can get help here

I have alot off realy old VHS tapes that are soft, yellowish, and realy bad colours, now i have transfered them to my computer, and i have a MPEG2 file laying that are exactly the same quality as the VHS tapes are, but now i would like to improve them before archiving them on DVDS.

Ive hear about Sony Vegas Pro, and TMPGENC Video Mastering Works 5. But what should i use? What is the bedst clean up program that realy works?

Hope you can help me, so i can give my grandmother a DVD of a most better version of here wedding then the VHS tape she allready have, that would make a old lady very happy i think ))
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
Hello. Been searching for ever to find a way to do this, but havent found any before i found this site, so hopefully i can get help here
Welcome to the site! Yes, let's see if I can help you...

Quote:
I have alot off realy old VHS tapes that are soft, yellowish, and realy bad colours, now i have transfered them to my computer, and i have a MPEG2 file laying that are exactly the same quality as the VHS tapes are, but now i would like to improve them before archiving them on DVDS.
It's unfortunate that you didn't convert it to a lossless AVI. There's a chance your MPEG-2/DVD files are actually worse than the original VHS tapes, depending on the hardware used to convert it. Because you not only retained analog tape noise (and VHS format noise), but have now introduced digital compression loss and artifacts. But let's see what we can do anyway...

Quote:
Ive hear about Sony Vegas Pro, and TMPGENC Video Mastering Works 5. But what should i use? What is the bedst clean up program that realy works?
Neither of those.

TMPGEnc is really just an encoder now. The oldest "Plus" version had some useful filters, but most of them have been surpassed by better filters in Avisynth, Avidemux and VirtualDub. TMPGEnc didn't really improve much in the filtering arena through the past decade. In fact, I think it actually got worse for filtering features.

Vegas is just an NLE. A powerful one, mind you, but NLEs are lousy at restoring video (excluding color correction). I actually use Premiere -- we're Premiere and Final Cut based here -- so I could teach techniques on Vegas, and not step-by-step.

Quote:
Hope you can help me, so i can give my grandmother a DVD of a most better version of here wedding then the VHS tape she allready have
I'm sure we can do that. What you really need to do is attach a clip to the forum -- 8MB max for Free Members, 16MB for Premium Members (only $20). Use Womble MPEG-VCR or Womble MPEG Video Wizard to cut/splice a small test clip off. Pick a good one that shows the most common/static error, not just random footage. Note that Site Staff doesn't download from sites like Rapidshare/etc (anything with JS, timers, and whatnot). Premium Members also have temp FTP access as needed. And then we'll download anything put to Dropbox accounts.

It probably just needs some quick moderate-to-basic Avisynth or VirtualDub work done.

___

And if it's just one video, you could always hire us to do it. Long-term, that may be easier, cheaper and better. I'm NOT trying to sell you anything, just stating something that many people tend to overlook. You're not on your own -- quality work can be found, and it's not necessarily expensive, either. But the forum is here for the diehard DIY enthusiasts, and fellow professionals.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Asesinato (04-01-2012)
04-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Free Member

Hello
thanks for the respond... Its alot of old home videos so i would rather learn it myself... Ive been looking at virtualdub myself, and have downloaded the one in here with old the filters... but there is alot!!! and i cant make heads or tails in...

Since my last post ive investet in a Wintv PVR-500 card instead of the usb one i had before... and have use that to capture the vhs... i now have it in .TS format instead... I will gladly upload some clips but how do i do it with a .ts ?
04-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Free Member

Ive used MPEG Video Wizard DVD
And its cut section so i think its done with out lose???

But here is 2 clips from the original stream

Attached Files
File Type: zip Untitled2.zip (4.94 MB, 49 downloads)
File Type: zip Untitled3.zip (4.68 MB, 24 downloads)
04-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
There's really not much that can be done here. A lot of video data is gone, not just damaged. While you can fix video, you can't fix what's not present. The washed-out color is is overexposure, so details are not recorded into the image. The blocks you see are now part of the image, and were caused by MPEG-2 compression. The jerky scene changes were caused by the original camera and/or VCR, and the erase head (or lack thereof), and cannot be corrected.

The ColorMill filter in VrtualDub would probably help. Or the color tools in Vegas or TMPGEnc.
At best, you can try to tweak colors to better skin tones, and try to decrease brightness some (and restore actual black levels).

Much of this may be caused by the hardware that converted the video -- especially the VCR. What VCR was used?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs