digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Dealing with Audio on VHS captures - EQ and mixers? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4197-dealing-audio-vhs.html)

VideoTechMan 05-05-2012 09:50 PM

Dealing with Audio on VHS captures - EQ and mixers?

From also capturing the audio when doing the VHS captures, I thought on the idea of running the audio through an audio mixer for possible EQ adjustments (I have the Mackie 1402) before it goes to the PC. Should a separate sound card be needed for capturing the audio, and ensuring that it stays in sync?

For the XP box that I plan to build very soon, I also have the EMU-1616m audio card that I could use to route it into the PC, and bypass the built in sound card which is usually of poor quality. Better yet I think the ATI 8500DV has the dongle to where I could run the audio input as well, almost forgot about that.

I definitely plan to upgrade to Premium membership soon, I like coming to a site where people know their stuff and believes in high quality work as I do.

kpmedia 05-08-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VideoTechMan (Post 20773)
From also capturing the audio when doing the VHS captures, I thought on the idea of running the audio through an audio mixer for possible EQ adjustments (I have the Mackie 1402) before it goes to the PC.

Mackie 1402 = $350+ pro mixer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000MN9PF6 ... I doubt you'll have any issues.
At worst, you'll need some RCA>stereo cables, as the RCA input doesn't appear to use EQs on this specific board.

Video: VCR > TBC > optional filters, proc amp, etc > capture card
Audio: VCR > mixer > capture card input (which may then feed into sound card off the capture card)
Easy workflow.

Quote:

Should a separate sound card be needed for capturing the audio, and ensuring that it stays in sync?
This is almost an illogical question. The issue here is simple:
  1. The "video capture card" is actually an integrated audio+video hardware encoder, or
  2. The "video capture card" does only capture video, and audio is somehow routed into the audio card. And I would note that many people seem to be unaware of this when somebody else has set it up, or if they're not fully comprehending what all the wires and plugs do on their "video capture" setup.
So from that perspective, the question doesn't make much sense. You don't actually have a choice in the matter. You have to use the workflow in which the card was designed to be used. In the case of the ATI All In Wonder cards, you're in the second scenario.

Quote:

For the XP box that I plan to build very soon, I also have the EMU-1616m audio card that I could use to route it into the PC, and bypass the built in sound card which is usually of poor quality. Better yet I think the ATI 8500DV has the dongle to where I could run the audio input as well, almost forgot about that.
ATI AIW Radeon cards (like the 8500DV) only encode video from non-tuner input, aka s-video and composite used for capturing sources like VHS tapes. So you'll be routing audio into an audio card externally or internally, into either a dedicated sound card or an integrated-into-the-motherboard soundcard. The dedicated cards are almost always superior to integrated cards, when it comes to video capturing. The clocks on the integrated cards tend to be quite poor, and audio often drifts in and out of sync.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VideoTechMan (Post 20773)
I definitely plan to upgrade to Premium membership soon, I like coming to a site where people know their stuff and believes in high quality work as I do.

Excellent. :thumb:

metaleonid 05-10-2012 01:15 PM

If you use an external sound card, I guarantee that you will run into sync problems. If you use an audio on video capture board, there's no guarantee that there will not be sync problems. In any case, sync problems are easy to correct if you're willing to put a bit of an extra time after each capture. I do it all the time.

In fact, if I really need high quality audio from my VHS, I first sync my original audio to the video. Then I just record audio separately at 24/96 from a different VCR and resync it with the original audio.