digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Capture card or DVD recorder with component inputs ? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4225-capture-card-dvd.html)

volksjager 05-19-2012 05:57 PM

Capture card or DVD recorder with component inputs ?

i want to copy some stuff off my Dish DVR
it does not have S-video out, but does have component outs.

it also had e-sata and usb outs, but from what ive been reading Dish had rigged those so anything i copy from them will only be viewable on my exact Dish receiver (they are just for backing up i guess)

most DVD recorders don't seem to have components inputs.
are there any good ones that do?
or maybe a decent but not super expensive capture card that does?

i really dont want to resort to using the composites.

VideoTechMan 05-20-2012 03:43 PM

I used to have Dish before finally kicking them to the curb last summer. I have the Hauppauge PVR 1212 which was an external USB capture box that has the component inputs where I could record off the Dish box. It encodes directly to .mp4 or .ts based format but the encoding is done in the Hauppauge box. The Colossus does the same thing except its the PCIe version and has HDMI input (provided the signal isn't protected with HDCP).

As far as I know that's the only capture devices (other than getting the Intensity Pro and up) that can capture component based sources.

The USB connectors on the Dish box is mostly for adding more storage space for the DVR....it formats and encrypts the hard drive to its own proprietary format so its completely useless to the PC.

volksjager 05-20-2012 03:58 PM

i like Dish 1000 times better than the shitty Time-Warner cable i had before.

HDMI is almost always copy-protected so that really isnt an option
i have the newer Hopper DVR so my only option to record in decent quality is Component.

can that 1212 be hook to a external usb hard drive for recording?

VideoTechMan 05-20-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksjager (Post 20931)
i like Dish 1000 times better than the shitty Time-Warner cable i had before.

HDMI is almost always copy-protected so that really isnt an option
i have the newer Hopper DVR so my only option to record in decent quality is Component.

can that 1212 be hook to a external usb hard drive for recording?

Not directly to the external, no. You would have to connect the 1212 to the PC and connect the external hard drive to the PC and simply have the recorded files go straight to the external instead of the PC. Main reason is because you would need the software to initiate the capture on the PC. I had done a few recordings with the 1212 and the quality was pretty stellar, even at 1080i component.

volksjager 05-20-2012 05:16 PM

cool - i'll have to troll ebay for a 1212
i did find a couple Philips and a Sony DVD recorders with component inputs, but the 1212 seems a better route.

it is kinda irksome that Dish wont just let me use the USB or Esata ports.

lordsmurf 05-25-2012 11:17 PM

I'm always skittish about eBay for capture cards. Too many of them are incomplete. Some are outright fraud knockoffs.

Amazon has this card for a decent price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0018LX0DY
New or used, within +/- $20 of $160.

volksjager 07-07-2012 09:51 AM

i just picked up a Philips DVDR615/37 at a yard sale. in nice shape with remote for $5

it has the component inputs i was looking for. i opened it to clean out dust and noticed it use a regular PC type IDE burner.
which would make finding replacements fairly easy

but ive read one of LS's posts about the 615 being a lemon
is there a difference between a 615 and a 615/37? does the 615/37 have the LSI chipset?

volksjager 07-07-2012 05:10 PM

it looks like the d-bags at Dish have somehow made the DVR's component outs not work with a DVD recorder.
i tested the outputs on my TV and they are fine.
i tested the 615's component inputs and they work too.
but when you hook the DVR to the 615 via component it wont work.

looks like the 1212 may be the only way to get my stuff off the f-ing dish DVR

sChen77 07-07-2012 05:36 PM

Hi volksjager,

In case you're shopping in my part of the world sometime, you might like to consider the Uraku NV-812 DVR which has component inputs and records straight to an MPEG-2 or Xvid file. However, the resolution is only up to NTSC 480i or PAL 576i, and not HD resolution. (ref. http://www.uraku.asia/uraku/servlet/product)

It uses the now-discontinued Sunplus SPHE7300 chipset. (ref. http://w3.sunplus.com/press/press.as...7412F4F4032247)

It also has a VGA output port, which allows you to use a spare regular 15" or 17" LCD monitor as a TV. Given that the box can only record in 4:3 format, this can be useful.

It uses an IDE drive formatted as FAT32 (and uses the VIDEO_TS VOB folder structure to split large MPEG-2 encoded files).

When I tested it, I thought the picture quality seemed a bit soft compared with that of the AC Ryan DVR, but at least it didn't exhibit "dot crawl" video artifacts common to composite connections.

Uraku's products are made by Fudio Digital, a Singapore-based company, and is still sold locally.

Cheers,
Stephen
Singapore

VideoTechMan 07-07-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksjager (Post 21574)
it looks like the d-bags at Dish have somehow made the DVR's component outs not work with a DVD recorder.
i tested the outputs on my TV and they are fine.
i tested the 615's component inputs and they work too.
but when you hook the DVR to the 615 via component it wont work.

looks like the 1212 may be the only way to get my stuff off the f-ing dish DVR

That's what I had to do to get the stuff off my DVR before finally giving Dish the boot. If you do decide on the 1212, use the .TS format in case you may want to edit the file in the future.

volksjager 07-07-2012 07:31 PM

which receiver did you have?

im think about calling a finding an excuse to get them to trade out the hopper for a 722 which has an S-video out.
then i can just use my ATI600USB.
the stuff i want to archive is only SD anyway.

VideoTechMan 07-07-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksjager (Post 21578)
which receiver did you have?

im think about calling a finding an excuse to get them to trade out the hopper for a 722 which has an S-video out.
then i can just use my ATI600USB.
the stuff i want to archive is only SD anyway.

I had the VIP722 (not the K version) box, and that has S-Video and component. I used the component out to the 1212 and had no problems.

volksjager 07-12-2012 10:01 PM

i got dish to switch out the hopper/joey to a 722 and a 612
the 612 has an S-video out so i can just use my 600USB and it is lowering my monthly bill to boot!

the 615/37 does have the LSI chipset, so i may keep it around.

volksjager 07-13-2012 10:40 AM

trying to update the firmware in this thing

instructions say:

Write the downloaded file onto a blank CD-R , using the following settings :
• File System CD-ROM ISO Level 2
• Mode 1/2/XA
• Character set ISO 9660
• Finalised, single session
• Write speed slow
Finalised the disc. (The application may do this automatically.)
NOTE : Packet writing application for drag & drop copying cannot be used for creating an upgrade disc. Use only a dedicated CD writing application allowing ‘disc at once’ recording. No UDF setting as well.

how exactly does one burn something with those settings?
none of my programs have setting anything like those.
and they are all pretty much "drag&drop"
im sure it is assuming some old burning software....that probably wont work on windows 7

VideoTechMan 07-13-2012 11:34 AM

I've always known that Nero could usually burn CD's with those similar settings.

volksjager 07-13-2012 11:38 AM

i got Nero 10 and i cant find anywhere i can input those settings.

which version of Nero can do that?

volksjager 07-13-2012 12:43 PM

cool - got it
downloaded Nero 7 and it worked perfect

VideoTechMan 07-13-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksjager (Post 21670)
cool - got it
downloaded Nero 7 and it worked perfect

Awesome glad you got it working! :thumb:

That's why I usually keep older versions of software, just in the cases where you may need them for certain situations.

lordsmurf 07-19-2012 03:01 AM

The 615/37 has an LSI chipset, but it was a very poor performing machine from my tests when it was new. It was one of those bad implementations. I believe it was CBR, not VBR, and made "crunchy" noisy captures. There were also hardware issues with the unit. I don't remember everything that was bad about it, but I did write about it on this forum, as well as at VH. It's been years, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on this unit. I didn't always take good notes in the early/mid 2000s, and then some of them were wiped out by a 2005 hard drive crash (lost about 5% of my video research files).