Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-10-2012, 02:21 AM
Free Member

I just brought a new desktop with vista (32-bit verison) and a AverMedia Tuner card. Using media center I can copy vhs tapes to file. my problem is that I can't copy copy protected vhs tapes using media center. So, I just want to know is there a programe that will at lease let me capture or view copy protected VHS tapes? I have a program that I can use to capture it but I need to view and of course hear it. The program that I use to Capture is ZD Soft Video recorder. Can anyone help?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Free Member

You need standalone TBC that will strip the macrovision copy protection.
09-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
The error is embedded in the original signal. There's nothing that software can do, as it's a hardware limitation.
A TBC would be required: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

At best, there are some super-crappy "copy protection remover" devices out there, but those are expensive given the quality. Most of them are a poor man's TBC, and perform terribly. Your videos will almost always be left with distortions of some kind. Brightening and dimming (or outright over-brightness) is a common side effect of the cheap wanna-be TBCs.

Ideally, get a TBC.

If these are VHS tapes that were already commercially released to DVD, then just buy the DVD. Save yourself the hassle. For the $200 you'd spend on a TBC (or even $100+ on a crappy non non-TBC "copy remover"), you could have just as easily bought new or used copies of everything from Amazon.com. That's assuming you even want copies of the VHS tapes anymore -- How many times do you really want to watch your favorites from 10-20 years ago?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs