digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Magnavox H2160MW9 record error (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/4607-magnavox-h2160mw9-record.html)

slsdoug 09-26-2012 01:37 PM

Magnavox H2160MW9 record error

Using a new Memorex DVD+RW, I tried transferring a few hours of HDD recording to the DVD. Got a DVD E13 error.
I formatted my DVD+RW using ImgBurn (per another thread) and it formatted fine. I put the DVD+RW into the H2150MW9 and dubbing was grayed out. I erased the DVD then dubbing showed up. I tried to save a few hours recordings to the DVD but a write error, E1900000000, occurred. Can not write to DVD error. The DVD+RW was just bought (Memorex). I have had the same problem with Sony and Verbatim DVD+RW. Any ideas?

kpmedia 09-26-2012 06:03 PM

This sounds like an aged or dying burner inside the recorder.

When a burner is going out:
  1. First, the DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM read/write ability goes.
  2. Second, the DVD-R and DVD+R read/write ability goes.
  3. Third, the DVD-ROM ability goes. (DVD-ROM = pressed, commercial, retail, "store-bought" type discs.)
My suggestion would be to try a Verbatim DVD+R disc, not DVD+RW, and see what happens.

slsdoug 09-28-2012 12:44 PM

I tried a Philips DVD+R and it worked, though it cut off at 18 titles.

-- merged --

The problem seems (I never commit) to be fixed. So far, all the DVD+RW that failed before are working.
We had well over 300 titles and the HDD was within an hour of being full. DVD+R worked so I moved 18 titles at a time (that's the limit) and also purged/watched many old titles; some dating back to 2009. After doing this (down to 270 titles and over 30 hours availability) all of a sudden the DVD+RWs started working. When they are put in the drive, they format instead of load. It seems the 2160A recognizes the DVD+RW needs formatting and does it. Manual format did not work. Some limit must have been exceeded (titles? availability?) and now it ok.

Doug

lordsmurf 09-30-2012 10:31 AM

Hmmm..... how long was it running when it stopped?
The DVD drive may have overheated if you had been playing/burning for hours.

Do note that overheating often causes permanent damage, so be careful of overusing optical media hardware.

slsdoug 09-30-2012 04:20 PM

DVD+RW not working was for several weeks. We tried a few different brands, formatted them on a PC, etc, nothing worked until we removed a bunch of titles and freed up some disk space.

Steve(MS) 09-30-2012 07:32 PM

Perhaps making discs in real time requires extra space on hard drive?
I dunno, got the same model and it has served me well for several years and I haven't had any problems with it.
I almost always do burns in 4X....whatever it is called.
There is a forum that supposedly tells how to replace hard drive and/or burner on that model.....

admin 10-10-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve(MS) (Post 23224)
Perhaps making discs in real time requires extra space on hard drive?

This is actually very likely. :thumb:

The data on the hard drive is not necessarily burn-ready. It may need some amount of temp/swap space to re-organize or reformat the data into disc-ready content for burning. If there's not any open hard drive space, then you'll run into errors. I've seen something similar on RCA DRC-8030N DVD recorders, where filling up the hard drive would corrupt some of the recordings. It was likely related to fragmentation on the drive, combined with a lack of free space for temp use.