digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Problem capturing NTSC format video cassette (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/5387-problem-capturing-ntsc.html)

dudu2683 09-18-2013 04:55 AM

Problem capturing NTSC format video cassette

hii

i new in this world ..im trying to capture my old VHS cassete to a AVI file...(im using virtual dub)
But I have a problem with one of the cassette..until now my cassete formt was a PAL....
But if I choose PAL when I try to capture one of my caste I see nothing in virtualdub capture mode (on the preview) i tryed to change tht video filter to NTSC and i can see the movie but without colors (B&W)...i tryed the other formats ( pal_m...) but the only time i can see a video is when i chose NTSC but B&W..how can i add color?what i need to do to see the colors?

help

volksjager 09-18-2013 09:32 AM

what are you using for a VCR?
you cant use an NTSC tape in a PAL VCR.
also what capture card are you using?

dudu2683 09-18-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksjager (Post 27783)
what are you using for a VCR?
you cant use an NTSC tape in a PAL VCR.
also what capture card are you using?

Hi

I'm using a eseycap USB capture device..and I'm using a JVC VCR(HR-J82MS)-on the front of the VCR there is a label "pal/mesecam/NTSC 3.58/4.43 -NTSC playback on pal TV"

So I think the VCR is multisystem ...I don't know how to choose the format on the VCR (I don't have the remote control)

How I can solve the problem?

BTW when i connect the VCR to my TV (CRT) i see the video with colors

Thanks

volksjager 09-18-2013 10:02 AM

both the VCR and the capture card are no good.
the VCR is a low end consumer grade unit and the easyCRAP is about the worst capture device made.
you need to upgrade your hardware big time if you want good captures.
if you only have a few tape it would make more sense to send to a pro service

juhok 09-18-2013 09:17 PM

Even with high-end gear it's not usually possible to capture NTSC-on-PAL with colors. You need native NTSC VCR for that.

lordsmurf 09-29-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

old VHS cassete to a AVI file...(im using virtual dub)
i tryed to change tht video filter to NTSC and i can see the movie but without colors (B&W)
Using VirtualDub is a good choice. Be sure you set all of the capture options properly, however. It's easy to miss some. Even I do this from time to time, and I've been working with VirtualDub for more than 10 years now.

Quote:

I'm using a eseycap USB capture device..
This is a terrible capture card. It outputs low quality, and has many flaws. volksjager was correct.

Quote:

and I'm using a JVC VCR(HR-J82MS)-on the front of the VCR there is a label "pal/mesecam/NTSC 3.58/4.43 -NTSC playback on pal TV"
So I think the VCR is multisystem ...I don't know how to choose the format on the VCR (I don't have the remote control)
I'm not yet convinced this was a multo0system VCR. I see lots of sites online that list it as a plain VHS VCR, not multisystem. But then I see some sites (most copy/paste sites) that says it's multisystem. Where the original documentation on it? That would help solve this riddle.

juhok was also correct. The only good way to capture tapes is with native VCRs for the format. That's why I imported PAL VCRs from UK in years past. Those have less issues than the so-called multiformat machines.