digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   128mb ATI AIW 9600 Radeon install issues, other issues (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/5672-128mb-ati-aiw.html)

alleng1usa 01-28-2014 04:05 PM

128mb ATI AIW 9600 Radeon install issues, other issues

In 2009 I bought a ati aiw card for a new computer build for myself. A few weeks ago my old mb went bad so I installed a new (though old) mb with a Athlon +3000 cpu. I did a new install of winxp pro that had never been installed before on a pc. The new board does not have on-board video so installed the 9600 in the AGP slot before installing the OS.

After completing the installation of winxp and all the updates I checked the drivers that were installed by microsoft for the mb. I forgot to mention that I also installed the mb chipset drivers as well. The driver shown for the display adapter showed that the drivers installed were microsoft dirvers for Radeon 9600 Family and Radeon 9600 SEC Family. Driver Version 6.14.10.6442 while Sound, video and Game Controllers driver version were 6.14.10.6238 which included the ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio, Video, Specialized MVD Codec, Specialized PCD Codec, WDM TV Audio\Crossbar and the WDM TV Tuner files. All provided by Microsoft Corporation.

I then tried to install the ATI drivers from the installation cd that came with the card. The cd # is v052008 and does not work for my card. Now I'm not sure which card I actually have. Below is the current setup which is currently in the pc.

Motherboard=PC Chips M848A V5.0
CPU=Athlon +3000
Memory 2 gb
Graphics=128mb ATI AIW 9600 Radeon
Creative Labs= Sound Blaster Audigy 2

I have not been able to accurately determine what ATI card or version of the AIW card I have. I even downloaded and ran the TechPower GPU-Z and now I am more confused than I was when I started.

Card Identification on the card shows:
ATI Chip as a Theater200
P\N 102A0900500 000001
Serial #630501002441 AIW 9600 128mb
Sticker on back #4W4BJ0H1

GPU-Z
GPU=RV360
BiosVer:Ver008.015.080.000(Radeon)
Device ID:1002-4152

Now I have looked at all the ATI AIW 9600's and the only ones that show the RV360 are the XT and one other IIRC. All the RV360 versions show a higher 525 instead of the 324 mine shows which is the current (I believe) on the R350 and RV350 chip sets.

While the drivers loaded by Microsoft come up as Catalyst 4.3 drivers I have not been able to install any Catalyst Driver versions at all without them either not installing or not finding my card.

The tuner identification on it shows the it is a:
Phillips Tuner 3139 147 18261G#
FM1236/F H-3 SV21 0420

While my sound card is working when I did get a legacy ati driver version from the AMD site for legacy cards it was a version 8 and installed a avivo driver which from what I have learned so far is a unified driver and it removed most of the Microsoft drivers and left only three out of the original 6 that were installed which also caused a conflict with my Audigy card and I ended up having to erase the drive and do another clean install on it.

At this point I'm lost. I am not sure now which ATI AIW card I actually have nor what Catalyst Driver version will work with my ATI card and Sound card.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Before I forget I have a total of 4 ATI install cd's, Two are the retail red cd's and 2 are for multible card versions like the one that came with the card.

volksjager 01-28-2014 09:08 PM

first off use only XP SP2 32-bit and dont do any updates
(this can be download free from your favorite torrent site)

that part number shows a 9600 XT

alleng1usa 01-28-2014 10:53 PM

Thanks for the reply and that's what's confusing. I have the manual I downloaded for the 9600 Pro and it shows the same board the 9600XT does also the GPU Z shows 325 and not the 525 speed chip. And I also believe that the video chip is different than the newer Theater chip on the 9600XT's.

The chip on the card is a RV360 and I did see a site (don't remember at this time) that did show a 9600AIW with the revised chip.

The install is a clean install of winxp with sp2 and all the current updates including sp3. If I left something out in my post above on the card please let me know.

I tried the pre 6\1 drivers as well as the amd legacy IIRC ver8 and the version 10 as well. The pre 6\1 would not install no card seen. The legacy I believe changed the sound, video and game controllers drivers messing up my Audigy 2 sound drivers and well as not seeing the card right. I forget what the ver 10 did.

I do know that GPU Z shows the chips a Radeon and that the drivers Microsoft Corporation installed were from Catalyst 4.3, however I will probably still have sound issues. Or at least I think I might.

I often wonder if ATI built a few 9600 pro's with the FM\TV tuner and RV360 chip for the non Retail after market. I did hours looking at pic's of 9600 ATI cards, both regular and AIW's and there was a 9600 Pro with the FM tuner like the 9600XT. But I only found one of the hundreds I looked at.

alleng1usa 01-28-2014 11:18 PM

Not sure if I'm doing this right or not since I'm really not a forum or chat type person. I just went and looked at the 9600XT for sale picture and yes the card is similar but not the same. And it does have the same type Radeon chip Theater 200 on it.

The difference is what is listed on the tuner sticker. I was able to read some of what's on it and here is where mine is different than the XT shown.

The sticker clearly shows the card as a AIW 9600 XT 128MB while mine reads AIW 9600 128MB.
The sticker shows the tuner as FM1236\F whereas mine shows FM1236\F H-3 SV21 0420.

Hope this is helpful to show the differences between my card and the XT. I should also mention that I have a AIW 9000Pro and a AIW 9700Pro w\bad fan. Have not used them for a long time. This pc I'm currently on has a NVidia GeForce MX 4000 from a Dell. Would really like to get that box up and running as I have for a long time put off transferring my tapes to dvd. I have over 200 tapes I need to transfer and convert to dvd and I have been putting it off for way too long.

Anyway thanks again for your advice.

lordsmurf 01-29-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Not sure if I'm doing this right or not since I'm really not a forum or chat type person.
You're doing fine. :)

I'm going to look at this in a few days. There's several recent ATI topics here that need my attention/
Back soon!

volksjager 01-29-2014 08:12 AM

you dont want SP3 - redo the install and dont do any updates (turn updates off completely)
dont use drivers downloaded from microsoft
down load the drivers from the forum and try - you may have the wrong CD's
dont worry about the video chip - the capture chip (theater 200) is what matters
use MMC version 8.7 to 9.02

alleng1usa 01-29-2014 08:57 AM

Thanks lordsmurf,

I'll check back for a reply when you have the time to look at this. I had too post those replies from my other box since this one would not let me log in to my home page to check my email. I use secure log in and IE8 would not let me log in.

I just reset all the settings for IE8 and was able to finally log in just now. I think (believe) that the unified driver that changed the wdm windows drivers effected my Audigy2 sound cards driver and lost audio. That's when I also discovered that that Catalyst drivers would not load any drivers for the video card. I'll try again a little later today and let you know the results.

Thanks again.

volksjager 01-29-2014 09:01 AM

IE sucks - use firefox

alleng1usa 01-29-2014 09:11 AM

volksjager thanks.

I really want to have a full install since Microsoft will no longer be supporting XP after April 8th. I intend to Ghost the drive so if the drive crashes I will have a fully functional backup ready to install on a new drive. This is also incase the OS gets corrupted.

I did read somewhere else that there is an issue with the Audigy2 card and the newer unified driver that came out for the 9600 Series with the newer Theater 2 chip to take advantage of the H-264 codec I believe.

I currently convert avi's, mpeg4's and mkv's to dvd and a lot of those files are H-264 codec's. That's done on my other pc, but I want to use this one now too finally start transfering all my tv recorded shows and movies to dvd from vhs tape.

I'll let everyone know what happens since I'm going to try again to install the Catalyst 8 drivers and see what happens.

Also I made an error on the TechPowerUp GPU-Z. The GPU clock and defauly clock show 405MHz and its the memory clock shows 324MHz. If I'm not mistaken the GPU clock for the XT is 525MHz so I don't see how this card is a 9600XT unless this core is locked at 405MHz.

Thanks again for your help.

alleng1usa 01-29-2014 09:20 AM

volksjaker so do I. However since this is a clean install I have not installed FireFox as yet. And I really do not want to do another install since I have already had to re-install my anti virus twice on this machine which meant redownloading and re-registering it.

I also now need to redownload and re-install Malware Antimalware Bytes a second time on this box. I do not believe that I had this kind of headaches when I ran my other two AIW cards and became so frustrated that when I erased the drive to do a re-install I ended up erasing my secondary drive by mistake. I have done erasers before but somehow I screwed up and erased a WD Secondary drive instead of the Seagate drive. Luckly I had most of the files I needed backed up already to dvd so I did not lose as much data as I could have.

Back later since I'm now going to try again. I found I still have some ATI files and folders from my last attempts still on my drive. Need to remove them first and than I'll see what happens.

volksjager 01-29-2014 09:22 AM

mircosoft really isnt supporting XP anyway - only security updates
SP2 is best for you capture PC- SP3 can interfere with your AIW
an obsolete capture PC really shouldnt be used for browsing the web or mundane stuff anyway so no reason to update it.
you dont really need any anti-virus on a capture PC - in fact dont even need to connect it to the internet

what i do on my capture PC is use a 80GB velociraptor that carries my OS
then i have 1 or 2 TB regular drive for the captured video
that way i can nuke & pave my OS drive any time if it has a screw-up

alleng1usa 01-29-2014 09:31 AM

Since I'm retired now I am living under a very tight budget and at this time can not afford a new pc or newer version of Windows. I have read that Windows 7 Pro 32bit is a pretty stable system while Windows 8 sucks.

Since I don't have the funds to either build or buy a newer pc and capture card I'm trying to use what I have. Both the mb, cpu, ATI card and WinXP were bought around five years ago and never used I at least want to get some of my money's worth out of them.

Catch you later and thanks.

volksjager 01-29-2014 09:46 AM

what im saying is you really shouldnt use your AIW system for anything but video.
it is all obsolete hardware and even the XP security updates will soon cease
i have to nuke & paved my AIW system several times - something you dont really want to be doing with your daily use PC
if you need a pc for the internet pick up a cheapo at a thrift store ,Craigslist or such(my local computer repair dude has complete windows 7 PC's with monitors for $79 - they are nothing special but great for internet etc)
windows can be had free (even 7) from any torrent site
7 64 bit is great - i never have any trouble
yes 8 sucks

NJRoadfan 01-29-2014 09:56 AM

XP SP3 and the AIW with MMC 8.8 work fine. The problem is the later Catalyst drivers with the unified WDM capture drivers that totally break MMC 8.8. The change was made in 2006. I think Catalyst 6.1 or 6.2 was the last version with the older capture drivers.

alleng1usa 01-29-2014 01:49 PM

NJRoadfan thanks for the reply.

I found that the 8-2_xp32_dd_58128 is version 6.14.10.1005 which is a older driver then the Microsoft version XP installed which is 6.14.10.6462 for the driver and I would also guess the chipset for the sound, video and game controllers which showed as Microsoft version 6.14.10.6238 being from the Catalyst 4.3 version.

My card was not seen and the 10.2 newer version has the unified driver that does not work with the SB Audigy 2 card. I believe that I may have the MMC 8.8 version somewhere though I could be wrong and it may be the MMC 8.9 version instead.

I'm still not sure which card I have. There was a ATI 9600 Pro as well as a AIW 9600 Pro that have the RV350 code name and have the 400MHz core clock, but the only code name I see for the RV360 core clock is on the AIW 9600 XT which has a core clock of 525MHz

Also I currently have PC2700 instead of PC3200 which is 400MHZ. Need to buy newer memory than I believe my memory clock will give me the 650MHz. Another thing is though my board shipped as a PC Chip M848A ver5 it shows as elite under GPU-Z identification.

Right now I thinking about updating my Audigy 2 drivers, but not sure if they will chang the WDM drivers to a unified driver which I would then have to roll back to the original drivers from my install cd. What a bunch of headaches.

The pc I'm currently using I picked up after the Dell I bought from a neighbor had the USB ports die. It boots fine except I have no keyboard or mouse since there is no ps2 connectors to use for mouse or keyboard. I pulled that drive and installed it in a cheap pc I picked up at a pawn shop. That board lets me use 2 ide drives, 2 cd drives and it also has 2 serial connectors for 2 more drives. In fact its cpu is a 2.5 Celeron yet I would prefer using this board with my Athlon +3000 which I'm sure your aware is only a 2.1GHz processor.

Got to run, phone man is here to fix my land line. Lots of noise and static off and on with it being the only phone I got.

volksjager 01-29-2014 02:04 PM

i run 6.14.10.6404 with MMC 8.8, an AIW 9200, and Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
it runs great on an intel 875 chipset board with a 3.0 northwood
i had an amd with via chipset prior and had alot more trouble with drivers

3200 is better, but 2700 should be fine too

alleng1usa 01-29-2014 04:38 PM

That appears to be an earlier version of Catalyst than the driver that Microsoft installed with the XP install which shows in the GPU-Z, as being Catalyst 4.3 version now being used which leaves me no control panel to access the tuner and card abilities it is capable of.

The PC Chips board shows up as Elite and it has the SiS746FX Northbridge and SiS963L Southbridge. Supports FSB up to 333MHz and states that it supports AMD Athlon XP &Duron CPU with FSB up to the 333MHz but will support 400MHz FSB if one were to overclock the CPU.

Since my Athlon +3000 is a 400MHZ CPU there's no need to overclock it. I didn't put the cpu spec's in my first post so here they are for anyone interested.

CPU = AMD Athlon +3000
AXDA3000DKV4E T087144I4150
AQYHA 0437 SPMW @1999AMD

And though Windows see's it as a XT or a member of the 9600 Family it clearly does not appear to be an XT. My reasoning being the core clock speed reading of 405MHz whereas the core clock for the XT GPU RV360 states its 525 - 650 and the AMD Comparison shows Code Name RV350 with core clock 400 - 650 so the question is how did a RV360 end up showing a RV350 core clock on an XT?

I'll be back later tonight. Time for dinner and my internet show watching while watching TV at the same time. I do not plan on doing any capturing online so that's not an issue with using it for internet access. When I get a few bucks I'll hit the pawn shops again and see what else I mighty find for a good cheap reasonable pc.

kpmedia 01-31-2014 06:19 AM

The 9600 CD is on this site, I believe, in the driver download threade stickied in the capturing sub-forum.

SP3 is mostly fine, but SP2 is preferred. SP3 has lots of "security" junk installed that must be removed or disabled, otherwise it will cause dropped frames.

These days, usingan XP system online is not really safe to do. It should be a capturing system only. Use a KVM for your monitor. (Just be aware that some cheap KVMs cause dropped frames, so you'll need to use separate mouse and keyboard still.)

alleng1usa 01-31-2014 06:09 PM

Thanks. I found the download late last night or should I say early this morning. I downloaded the files and burned it to a cd.

I started around 1pm today and ran the installation. It seemed to install everything, however it did not install the display driver or the sound, video and game controller drivers for the tuner chipset.

After rebooting I re-installed the driver through the add new hardware wizard. I told it I would chose the driver and browsed to the cd in the drive and pointed to the driver folder. I had to do that for both primary and secondary drivers. It installed the drivers in both the display and sound, etc drivers for the tuner chipset.

I then openned the cd to the install folder and ran the set up for the control panel. It installed with no problems so I shut down the pc and connected both my converter box tuner (Zenith) to the tv tuner and antenna. Since the channels come from the converter box they were picked up on channel 3 on the ATI TV Tuner. I scanned all the local channels and they all play with no problems.

I was not able to get the Gemstar Guide Plus+ to work though. It would not update the patch nor would it download the channel lineup. It seems that there are a lot of other ATI users that had the same problem and I do not remember if any of them ever solved this issue or not. If you or anyone else has any idea how to fix this please let me know.

I decided to leave this box for everyday use including internet and it appears that the only way I would be able to record is if I'm sitting right there and push the record button. There is no way I can schedule a show ahead of time with the guide not working.

What I am thinking of doing is seeing if I have a spare drive laying around and install a hard drive caddy which I can then pull the XP drive out and insert another drive loaded with a clean install of my Win2k Pro with SP4 on it. Or I will see if I can find another pc at the pawn shop for a reasonable price and do the Win2k Pro install in that. Then I'll use that one for transferring my VHS tapes to disk to burn to DVD.

I'll check back later since this box is sitting on my kitchen table and I need to move myself into the living room to watch my shows.

Thanks again.

alleng1usa 02-02-2014 02:51 PM

Fast update. First off I want to thank again those who responded and offered their help and advice, it was greatly appreciated.

As I stated above I found the drivers posted on the site and downloaded them. I made sure to remove what was already installed by Microsoft and rebooted to Safe Mode. It was then that I did the install of the Catalyst drivers I found here. On reboot of course everything installed, however there were no display drivers or control panel for them actually installed. At that point I went to the directory on the cd to install both the drivers through the Add\Remove Hardware program built into Windows to install them. I also ran the control panel installation directly from the cd.

They installed and everything appeared to be working. Antenna connected to Zenith converter connected to the ATI tuner, ran the TV setup, scanned the channels on the tuner and of course the only channel it found was channel 3 which is the channel that the converter is set to for display through the card. Also scanned the converter and all channels over the air were picked up and played with no problems. In fact the picture was quite good if I say so myself.

At that point I attempted to open the Gemstar GuidePlus+ TV guide where I got the error can not connect to server etc...
It would not download the current tv listings. I then noticed that there was another link to update the program with a patch and when I ran that I got a different error message. This on actually connected to the update server for the patch but stated that there was an error while retrieving it so it would not update.

I scoured the web looking to see if anyone else was having this problem and found that many were having this very same issue. I tried all the solutions that I saw mentioned with none of them working. So after spending 6 hours trying to fix this since everything talked about it seems to be a internet issue with the URL's for the patch update and the listings updates. Eventually I played around in the registry and with my network and internet settings which caused other problems as well.

To make a long story shorter I decided to just go ahead and nuke the drive. I had already ghosted a partial install that had all the XP updates, the Microsoft drivers for the display, sound, video and game controllers, as well as the Audigy 2 drivers and software. I also had anti virus software installed so I pretty much had a good base copy to start over with rather than having to do a totally clean install again.

I disconnected the drive and reconnected the ghosted drive to check what I actually had on it since I did not remember how much I had done on it. I was pretty sure that I had ran all updates, but was not sure what else I had installed on it. I booted into Safe Mode to check and something occurred that I considered strange.

While checking system properties and some other settings XP popped up some found new hardware notices which I ignored, but when I checked it showed a whole bunch of Microsoft drivers for audio and video which I had not seen before. I believe that they were the newer audio and video drivers for the H-264 codec and audio\video drivers. These drivers did not install before and were not found by Windows before I believe due to the reason that I did not at that time have the line in from the ATI cable plugged into the Audigy 2 card and when I rebooted the first time after re-installing the drive into my pc it then saw them. I'll have to wait and see what occurs once I re-ghost this drive back onto the drive I just nuked and let you know.

After confirming what I had on the backup drive I shut down and removed it so I could reconnect the installed drive thated needed nuking. I made the mistake the last time of leaving my secondary drive connected and ended up erasing it instead of the primary drive. I erased the drive, rescanned it to verify no problems on it and repartitioned it so I could ghost it today. Have not done so yet though. This so far was after 8 hours of frustration and I really did not want to screw up ghosting the drive back from the first install I had done. So later today I will get this done and than I can go forward from there.

Now for something I found out about my card which was confusing me about which ATI AIW I had. As posted up above in this mess I said it was an ATI AIW 9600 128MB AGP card, however I did not know which 9600 it actually was. I had downloaded and installed TechPowerup GPU-Z which showed the card as being a XT but the Code Name shown as well as the Core Clock did not match up with what a XT core has because of the clock being less than what the XT core clock was suppose to be.

Well mystery solved. It appears that the GPU-Z program reads what Microsoft installled for the drivers and not what the actual GPU is. My reason for thinking this is because after I had gotten the drivers installed from the cd drivers I found here for the 9600 I re-ran the GPU-Z and the results given were different form what it showed when the Microsoft drivers provided were installed.

Under the Microsoft drivers it listed the Code Name as a RV360 which is as I have found out is the XT line with the 525-650 core clock. As I mentioned the core clock shown with the Microsoft drivers showed a core clock of 405MHZ while the memory clock showed 324MHZ which is the correct speeds for the 9600 Pro and not an XT.

After installing the correct drivers from here the GPU_Z showed a Code Name as a RV350 which is a 9600 Pro and the correct core clock\memory clock of 405MHz\324MHz (from what I read the core is 400-650).

Anyway that's were I'm at now. If anyone knows how to get the GuidePlus+ to update the patch and download the listings please let me know. I may have to go a different route in getting my vhs tapes to dvd then what I had originally had thought and planned. I'll delve further into this once I get a good clean install to ghost as a backup.

Later and thanks again for everyone's help.