digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   WinDV playback is mono, .wmv playback is stereo? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/6808-windv-playback-mono.html)

momnewbie 10-19-2015 01:04 PM

WinDV playback is mono, .wmv playback is stereo?

I am using WinDV to transfer video from my mini DV camera. (Actually I am capturing my Hi8 movies through my digital camera). When I use Windows Media the playback is in stereo. When I use WinDV the playback is only Mono. Any ideas?

sanlyn 10-19-2015 02:45 PM

Why are you using .wmv?

momnewbie 10-20-2015 10:54 PM

I had transferred the video in .wmv before it was suggested that I use WinDV. So then I transferred the same video using WinDV from my camera. I figured out the stereo sound issue. But, why is WinDV preferred to .wmv since it is the exact same codec and information being transferred?

sanlyn 10-21-2015 01:34 PM

Are you certain the .wmv is the same DV codec as your camera output? WMV can contain several codecs. It usually encodes as VP8 or VP9, which are Microsoft high-compression codecs not really suitable for DV transfer. Just because the wmv will "play" on your PC doesn't say anything about the codec actually used. For example, I'm working with an AVI container file on my computer right now that isn't DV, QuickTime, h264, MPEG4 or anything else; it's losslessly compressed with the Lagarith codec.

You can use the free MediaInfoXP utility to examine the data and encoder behind most videos. It can be downloaded free here (http://www.videohelp.com/software/MediaInfoXP). Download the zip to a new folder (call the new folder "MediaInfo") and unzip it there. It's a standalone app that has all the files it needs in that folder, it needs no installer. After unzipping double-click "MediaInfo.exe" and follow the instructions to open a video file. When the app opens it shows a general window with brief information. Click on "View" -> "Text" to get a full report.

momnewbie 10-23-2015 11:25 AM

Yes, I checked out the codec that my .wmv video is in, by using GSpot. It is dvsd. I compared that with the codec of my video that I transferred using WinDV. It is also was dvsd. My question is...are they identical? Why choose WinDV over .wmv? I trust your opinon, I am just curious as to the differences. Thanks!

sanlyn 10-23-2015 12:27 PM

What did you use to capture your hi8 to wmv?

A more important question is: why are you capturing analog Hi8 to DV? If you want DV to DV, WinDV or Scenalyzer is suggested for that because it's a transfer (copy) job from DV to DV. Hi8 to DV is not a copy, it's a lossy encode to DV. You'll lose some quality (which you won't get back) and gain considerable noise doing it that way, but it's your choice. Analog video is usually captured to lossless formats for best quality, not captured as a lossy encode.

momnewbie 10-23-2015 03:42 PM

I understand that analog to DV is not optimum but to be honest, I can't afford to buy nor do I have the ability to install an ATI card (or similar) into my computer. I have asked on this forum if the ATI (or similar) card must be installed internally or if it can be left external and what the least expensive one is, but have not had an answer posted yet. The only option I am left with, is sending my Hi8 through my DV camera to my PC, using WinDV, then Sony Movie studio, and lastly ImgBurn to DVD. My hope is to eventually send my Hi8 tapes to Digital Faqs and have them converted to lossless as my budget allows.

I am open to other options if you know of any.

Thank you again for your help and do you know if dvsd through WinDV is any different than dvsd through .wmv? I know it shouldn't be but I just want to make sure.

sanlyn 10-23-2015 03:51 PM

If Hi8 to DV is your only choice, then that's what you have to work with. Many are in the same boat. Even if you had an ATI capture device, you would still need a Hi8 analog camera to feed it, as all ATI's are analog capture devices.

AVI is almost always used as the wrapper for DV in Windows. Some software apps can read DV inside a wmv with no problems, some can't. If your Movie Studio can handle it, you're home free.

momnewbie 10-23-2015 04:37 PM

I actually do have a very nice near mint condition Hi8 camera that feeds the video to the DV camera and then to the PC. I think I understand now. WinDV puts the dvsd codec into a different wrapper than .wmv and that is the difference. Correct?

Do you know of an inexpensive but good ATI (or similar) card?
Can it be used externally?

sanlyn 10-23-2015 04:49 PM

Your DV camera takes analog Hi8 input and encodes it to DV. How it got into .wmv instead of the default AVI is unknown to me. WinDV users can advise.

The ATI 600 USB, Diamond ATI/AMD TV Wonder 600 HD, and the Diamond VC500 are USB analog capture devices. BTW, the TV Wonder "HD" isn't HD, it's just clever marketing hype. The ATI 600 USB is usually recommended. The problem is getting them to work in WIn7. Sometime it does, sometimes it doesn't. Video hardware isn't nearly as reliable today as it was with XP, which is why most serious videophiles still use XP for analog capture -- and for other areas of video work as well.

momnewbie 10-23-2015 05:23 PM

I see. That makes sense. Thank you. Are there any cards that use the firewire port or is usb the best?

sanlyn 10-23-2015 07:36 PM

Capture cards don't use Firewire ports. Firewire ports don't capture anything.

The USB capture devices mentioned here are designed to receive analog signals and send them to a PC via USB. USB capture cards can't communicate with Firewire. Firewire can't communicate with USB capture cards.

momnewbie 10-23-2015 09:12 PM

Got it. Thank you!