digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Cannot get audio/video to sync in VirtualDub capture? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7110-cannot-audio-video.html)

Johncan 03-21-2016 08:47 PM

Cannot get audio/video to sync in VirtualDub capture?

I am struggling to get audio and video to sync when capturing VHS-C tapes on my rig using VirtualDub. On a 30 minute capture I have only 1 dropped frame, but the audio is about 1 to 2 seconds ahead of the video. I have followed many of the steps from this link:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...ped-frames.htm

My capture drive is on a separate hard drive from operating system. I have antivirus turned off and Internet is not connected. When capturing the system is at about 20% of the CPU.

My signal path is Panasonic AG-1970 -> AVT-8710 time base corrector -> Hauppauge USB-Live2 (both audio and video connected to the USB-Live2)

It seemed to sync before I added the AVT-8710.

On Virtualdub, I use Overlay and have turned off Audio Preview and Video Preview. I start the capture using F6.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.01 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MS-7207G
Memory: 3.5 GB PC3200 (200 Mhz)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512 Mbytes
Sound: M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Windows XP Home SP3 32 bit

I do have a ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 256MB PCI Express Video Card coming soon. Maybe that will help.

Anything else I can tweak?

punker 03-22-2016 02:17 AM

you could record the audio first then do a playback on another computer output you ill have to sync it up manually though might take a few tries to sync it up

sanlyn 03-22-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punker (Post 42896)
you could record the audio first then do a playback on another computer output you ill have to sync it up manually though might take a few tries to sync it up

That shouldn't be necessary, and probably won't work.

I'd advise johncan to find the setting for "adjust audio to sync with video" or "adjust video to sync with audio", or something like that. Look under "Capture" --> "timing" at the "Capture Timing Settings" window and tell us what audio settings are checked.

lordsmurf 03-22-2016 01:58 PM

The age of a system has nothing to do with audio/video sync. I was having zero sync issues in the 1990s. It's always been an issue of codecs, hardware, or drivers, or combination thereof.

M-Audio hardware is not known to be the best for maintaining constant sync. So that's one potential issue I see right away. Yes, M-Audio makes all sorts of nice high-end audio products, but the application is for audio only. When you add video to the mix, things change.

I've noticed a trend lately, where more than 50% of the time, when a person has issues, they're using a MSI board. I used to think that board fine, but I'm now wondering about that.

Is that one of the all-black AVT-8710 units, which is known to have flawed chipsets? I doubt it's causing audio issues, but in theory it could cause delay issues. Have you done a process of elimination, and tried with that TBC for the moment, to troubleshoot sync problems?

SP3 can be part of the problem as well. Sync issues and dropped frames are a known problem of SP3. If used, you must disabled a lot of "security" junk that MS added to that SP. That was MS attempting to Vista-ize XP, and it screwed some things up in the process. That's why SP2 is always suggested.

Johncan 03-22-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

I'd advise johncan to find the setting for "adjust audio to sync with video" or "adjust video to sync with audio", or something like that. Look under "Capture" --> "timing" at the "Capture Timing Settings" window and tell us what audio settings are checked.
Timing
X Drop frames
X Insert null frames
_ Null frame burst rate

Resync Mode
_ Do not resync between audio & video
_ Sync video to audio
X Sync audio to video

_ Correct video timing
_ Automatically disable resync when integrated audio/video capture

Auto latency determination
X Automatic Number of audio block: 30
_ Fixed

Direct Show
X Use audio timestamps
_ Disable timestamps
_ Force audio clock
_ Ignore video timestamps

Quote:

M-Audio hardware is not known to be the best for maintaining constant sync. So that's one potential issue I see right away. Yes, M-Audio makes all sorts of nice high-end audio products, but the application is for audio only. When you add video to the mix, things change.
I moved audio from the Hauppauge USB-Live2 to the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and the audio and video appear to be in sync on my first run through. I will play some more with the M-Audio card before going after a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Quote:

Is that one of the all-black AVT-8710 units, which is known to have flawed chipsets? I doubt it's causing audio issues, but in theory it could cause delay issues. Have you done a process of elimination, and tried with that TBC for the moment, to troubleshoot sync problems?
Yes, it is the all-black one. I may be in sync now with the M-Audio card doing the audio rather than the Hauppauge USB-Live2.

Thanks for all the advice. I will keep learning, reading, and tweaking.