digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Use Datavideo TBC with DVD recorder (LSI chip) for capturing? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7574-datavideo-tbc-dvd.html)

hysteriah 10-03-2016 02:48 AM

Use Datavideo TBC with DVD recorder (LSI chip) for capturing?

I guess the title says it all. I'm experimenting on using a LSI chipped DVD recorder for capturing. I just wonder, should I skipp using the datavideo TBC-1000 in my workflow? ...or should I add the datavideo TBC-1000 in (between my VCR and DVD recorder)?

PS: As a VCR I'm using the JVC HR-S7700, HR-S9500, Panasonic NV-FS200 or Panasonic NV-HS960. All with built in LTBC ;-)

sanlyn 10-03-2016 05:19 AM

Don't use frame-level tbc's in front of line-level tbc's, or you'll defeat the action of line-level tbc's or frame timing sync in later tbc's that follow it. The rule is line tbc first, frame tbc after. Capturing VHS directly to DVD won't improve anything but it's better than capturing to other lossy codecs. However, if you expect to do any restoration or image enhancements or repair, you're wasting your time capturing to DVD. If your tapes are copy protected and you're recording to a DVD recorder, you have no choice: the AVT has to come first.

hysteriah 10-03-2016 06:16 AM

Hi Sanlyn and thanks for your reply :-)

I don't really think that this DVD recorder has any TBC technology at all. But it has this great LSI chipset that removes chroma noise and suppresses grain from analog sources. I'm only going to use it on my highest quality tapes, simply to avoid further editing after capture. The burned DVD from my DVD recorder will be the final end-resault.

My setup will be like this:
1. VCR with LTBC enabled (JVC-HR-S7700, JVC HR-S9500, Panasonic NV-FS200 OR the Panasonic NV-HS960)
2. Datavideo TBC-1000
3. DVD Recorder with LSI chipset (to clean up noise and grain while recording)
As you can see, the datavideo TBC-1000 will be added AFTER the LTBC of my VCR. But my question is: Will I really need the Datavideo TBC-1000 or should I just skip it and connect my VCR direct to the DVD recorder? Will the datavideo TBC-1000 be any usefull at all in this kind of setup?

The DVD recorder that I'm planning to use is a Philips DVDR 3360H. I don't really know if it has any built in TBC technology.
PS: I know that the Philips is known to have shitty settings, but I'm only going to use it in Highest Quality XP mode, so I don't really think it matter much what brand it is as long as it has the LSI chipset, or am I wrong?

lordsmurf 10-03-2016 07:10 AM

SVHS VCR > external TBC > LSI recorder

Not using the TBC will result in various issues:
- refusal of the JVC to record
- audio skew on recording
- dropped frames (jerky recording, since you can't see frame being dropped)

The LSI based model have no real TBC of any kind, no. Most DVD recorders do not.

Only using it on XP is wise.

hysteriah 10-03-2016 07:20 AM

Thank you very much, lordsmurf :-)
You just answered all my questions! :congrats: