Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Free Member

For a long time, I've been using a Canopus DVRex card along with the included proprietary software "Rex Capture/Rex Edit" to capture and edit sd video.

When I output videos that are longer than somewhere between 9 and 18 minutes run time (I forgot the exact length, but whatever it is it is a fixed unvarying length), I have to use what seems like a proprietary Canopus file format that pieces together 2 or more video segments that all playback seemlessly in what appears to the eye as one continuous playback (even these files in practice won't run for more than about 3 hours and 2 minutes due to some other restriction having to do with the length of the audio portion of the file).

The problem with this is that I have been unable to find a way to play back those files unless I use the DVRex card along with its included proprietary software. What I want to be able to do is to ouput mp4 files with no running time restrictions so I can play them back with universally available software players such as VLC and SM Player.

Do you know if I can use Virtualdub instead of the proprietary software in order to produce mp4 output files with no running time limits?

Do you know of any converters that will actually work that I can run under Win 7 or Win XP to convert the proprietary DVRex segmented output files to mp4 files? I did try Canopus Converter software, but that too did not work. The DVRex is a very old system originally compatible with Win 98, Win NT, and Widows 2000 and that may have something to do with some of the limitations for all I know.

Thanks very much for any help/info.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-06-2017, 05:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The DVRex was a nice card, Canopus hardware encoding, from about 15 years ago. I don't remember it working with VirtualDub. I've not seen one in more than a decade now. I simply do not remember.

Was it capturing in segments because of FAT32 limits? I bet so. I don't remember that aspect.

I'd have to see a file. Let me guess: it's 3.9gb in size?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Free Member

Definitely oriented around FAT32, as he mentioned the old OSes it targeted.

They should just be standard DV files playable in anything, once you get around the container oddities. The Canopus FOURCC may be confusing other software when trying to decode the video.