digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   DVD recorder advice, best unit for VHS transfer? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/8620-dvd-recorder-advice.html)

Zoink187 04-06-2018 08:43 PM

DVD recorder advice, best unit for VHS transfer?

Hello,
It's been a while. It's 2018 and I'm looking for updated advice on what unit I should buy.
For this project ,10 tapes from an assumed professional (wedding and special event) source, I am looking to avoid the use of a PC. Just a straight transfer. I have a JVC SR101US that was refurbished professionally. I have a "green" TBC that has been frequently recommended on this forum. I have a several units in my sights:
1. Samsung DVD VR-320
2. Samsung DVD VR-325
3. JVC DR-MV1SU
4. JVC DR-MV5SU
5. Panasonic DMR-ES20
6. Samsung DVD R130

I acknowledge that these may not be the "best" I can get but, my budget is about $120 which is why I mentioned these. The common factor in these units are obviously the LSI chipset. I'm looking for the best of these options (or something better within that budget) for source video improvement. I'm not going to really edit so it's just transfer that isn't too complicated (I know that's loaded). Have there been any updates from the current lists? Any advice would be appreciated.

sanlyn 04-06-2018 09:28 PM

5. Panasonic DMR-ES20 with its LSI encoding chip and above-average contrast and sharpness, very good y/c comb filter, and fairly decent onboard tbc. Use 1-hour or 2-hour encoding speeds. Never use slower encoding speeds with any DVD recorder. Period. Meanwhile, friends don't let friends use JVC or Samsung DVD recorders unless they like poor motion rendition, blocky gradients, and relatively soft images. At any rate, using direct-to-DVD methods with analog tape, the results will look slightly worse than the tape, no better, regardless of the recorder used.

Zoink187 04-06-2018 10:16 PM

Thanks. So direct to DVD is a bad idea in general? What would be the better scenario then? Without a PC of course. Is that even possible?

sanlyn 04-07-2018 04:10 AM

Without a computer, there isn't a better choice. Note that I didn't say it's a "bad" idea -- it's a "typical" idea that makes no improvement in your video source. The recording will look like the tape, not like a clean DVD source. The only way to improve that result is via capture to a computer and post-processing to clean up analog noise. There is no other way.

Zoink187 04-09-2018 06:55 AM

Thank you. Would it help to use the Panasonic DMR ES20 as a pass through?
For example: VCR>TBC>Dvd recorder>Rip from Dvd to edit.

sanlyn 04-09-2018 12:56 PM

I don't understand what you mean by "rip from DVD". DVD source is digital, doesn't require a tbc, and is always copied for editing, never re-recorded.

The ES20 can be used as a line-tbc pass thru device for VCRs, but it isn't as powerful as the ES10 or ES15. The correct scenario would be:

VCR -> ES20 -> frame tbc -> capture device

A line tbc should always precede a frame-level tbc in the capture chain.

lordsmurf 04-13-2018 08:32 PM

- I do direct to DVD all the time for my hobby cartoon/TV converting.
- I also do a lot of high-bitrate 15mbps MPEG (Blu-ray specs) for hobby and personal/family material.
- Lossless is mostly for work capturing, or for personal/work restoration and editing.

Of the mentioned recorders, always go for JVC DR-M10/100, or the combo MV1/MV5 (and NEVER use the crap VCR, ignore it's there).

The ES20 may have some TBC-like filtering, but as a recorder is pretty crapastic, even with LSI. Good chipset, but bad internal settings and chip usage.

After JVC, Samsung is pretty good. LSI only, of course.

judicata 06-28-2018 11:37 PM

Is there a benefit to the DR-M10 or DR-M100 over the DR-MV1 or DR-MV5? Like better quality, or easier to replace the capicators? I ask because the prices of used DR-M10 and DR-M100's are higher than DR-MV1 and DR-MV5's. Thanks!