digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Capture, Record, Transfer (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/)
-   -   Advantage of using DataVideo DVK-100 as pass-through? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/9297-advantage-datavideo-dvk.html)

puleddu 01-03-2019 07:05 AM

Advantage of using DataVideo DVK-100 as pass-through?

I've read both the suggestions of:
  • using a Panasonic DMR-ES15
  • using a DataVideo DVK-100 + Panasonic DMR-ES15
to provide TBC-like effect.

What is exactly the advantage and the actual effect of using the DVK-100 before the DMR-ES15 in the workflow?

lordsmurf 01-03-2019 10:41 AM

The DVK comes after the ES10/15, not before.

The DVK-100 contains a weaker TBC, similar to the TBC-5000. It's made for more stable pro sources like BetacamSP, or even direct camera use, and can choke on the instabilities from VHS. So the reason for the ES10/15 is to tame the VHS some, make it stable enough for the DVK to do its job.

The DVK is similar to the TBC-5000, but was also intended to pair with it. The DVK has genlock, while the TBC-5000 has matrix switching. And in that sort of pro setting, you'd want both. The DVK almost behaves closer to a genlock, with some added TBC functionality. It was designed for lock/sync of multiple separate sources for chroma keying.

Remember "TBC" is a wide term., and its performance that matters, specifically for VHS with us.

The ES10/15 + DVK is a viable TBC alternative, though with all the negatives of ES10/15 posterization that may happen. However, with some sources, often home-shot 80s VHS camcorder work, or nth gen VHS copying from VCRs, you need the ES10/15 anyway.

The ES10/15 alone will still allow dropped frames and audio sync issues, as it only has some line timing abilities, and is not a frame sync TBC options as created by the ES15+DVK setup.

puleddu 01-03-2019 10:54 AM

I think I understand better now.

Do you a source like a good VCR with line-TBC (e.g. JVC HR-S9600, Panasonic NV-FS200) would provide some stabilization that could make the (expensive) DVK-100 piece redundant, or at least a refinement, more than a needed step?

We discussed this in another setting. I understand that the type of contribution that a frame sync TBC provides is different from the one of a line TBC.

I do not deny the benefit altogether.
I just ask because I might need to make budget-oriented choices and I'd like to understand the impact of such choices.

I guess my question develops around my specific need of converting home made VHS:

Is the DVK-100 providing a fundamental improvement in this case?
Would I be getting a decent result by just using the ES10/15?

lordsmurf 01-03-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puleddu (Post 58317)
Do you a source like a good VCR with line-TBC (e.g. JVC HR-S9600, Panasonic NV-FS200) would provide some stabilization that could make the (expensive) DVK-100 piece redundant, or at least a refinement, more than a needed step?

No. An S-VHS VCR with TBC shared some functionality the ES10/15, but is stronger. However, so strong as to sometimes create noticeable processing noise.

Quote:

Is the DVK-100 providing a fundamental improvement in this case?
Would I be getting a decent result by just using the ES10/15?
The signal output from the ES10/15 is still unstable, still causes/allows dropped frames and audio sync issues. The only way to guaranteed removes these impurities from the signal is to use the external frame sync TBC. That's what the DVK provides. The caveat is that the DVK chokes on too-dirty input signal (ie VHS), hence the need to pre-process cleaner. Technically, the S-VHS+TBC VCR could provide this function, but it's too weak a line TBC to often do so, having been made solely to clean image quality. The ES10/15, on the other hand, has pseudo frame syncing abilities.

Sort of like how two wrong can make a right (contrary to parents/teachers "lessons", referring to real life here), two weaks make a strong.

Quote:

I do not deny the benefit altogether.
I just ask because I might need to make budget-oriented choices and I'd like to understand the impact of such choices.
Skipping one would entirely depend on your sources. Based on our conversations thus far, your sources and situation, I'd skip the ES10/15 and not the DVK.

drzapp 01-03-2019 02:06 PM

Another advantage of the DVK-100 is that you can adjust color/brightness/contrast on the fly. It came in handy for me with a home video that kept going from outside to inside, so in some places it was too dark, in others too light. I watched it and wrote down the timing for when it needed to be adjusted, then captured it. Smoothed it all out, looks better than the originals.