Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Free Member

Admin edit: Scroll down, and see post #3 for the solution to installing Huffyuv on Windows 7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm running 64 bit windows 7 and tried installing huffyuv 2.2.1 and huffy64 but in both cases, the huffyuv codec doesn't show up in virtualdub under video, compressions. I have no problem on my desktop which runs 32 bit windows vista. How can I fix it where I can use it on my laptop that runs 64 bit windows 7?
The following users thank phyxius for this useful post: edumarrom (04-20-2022)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Free Member

I have the exact same problem...HuffYUV will not install/show up in VDub compression selections. I am using WinVista 64-bit and am not fortunate enough to own an alternate computer with a differing O/S

Sure can't use a nice tool like VDub if the .avi files I currently get look like what you used to be able to do with a newspaper picture and silly putty...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NoHuffYUV.codec.jpg (28.8 KB, 251 downloads)
04-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
As usual, Microsoft monkeyed around with the OS so much that it's (again) messed up some very common audio/video software, drivers, utilities, etc.

But there is an easy fix!

How to Install Huffyuv 32-bit in Windows 64-bit

This is how to install HuffYUV on Windows Vista 64 or Windows 7 64:

Step 1: Download HuffYUV from somewhere -- preferably somewhere reliable, like this site. Then unzip/unrar it to your C:\ drive**. Open up a command prompt (DOS box), while logged in with a user account that has administrative privileges.
  • If you're not sure what "administrative privileges" means, then let's try this explanation:
  • Go to the Start menu, and go to Run or the Run box to the left of the start/power button (where you shut down or sleep your computer).
  • Type in cmd and then press ctrl+shift (either side of keyboard is fine, left or right) and then press enter while still holding ctrl+shift. Don't press enter by itself or click OK.
  • If you've done it correctly, then the little black DOS box will say "Administrator: Command Prompt" in the on-screen text.
Step 2: Assuming your copy of Windows was installed with the standard method (C:\Windows), navigate to the SysWOW64 folder.
  • In the little black DOS box, type cd c:\windows\syswow64 and then press enter.
Step 3: Again, in the DOS box, type rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 c:\huffyuv.inf and press enter.
  • Pay close attention to the spacing (or lack thereof). And that's a "zero" in the last half of the command, not the letter "O". There's no space around that comma. What you type has to match perfectly.
  • If there are no error messages, then it has installed correctly.
  • If there was an error, then you probably were not installing it with administrator privileges enabled. Re-read Step 1!
That's all you have to do.

Notes

** Experienced users can unzip/unrar it anywhere they want, but be sure to notice your path when installing it in Step 4 of the above instructions!

Huffyuv MT note: This trick also works for Huffyuv MT (the multi-threaded version). Simply replace "huffyuv.inf" in the above instructions (the text you type into DOS in Step 4) with "huffyuv_mt.inf". However, using Huffyuv MT is not suggested.

Huffyuv 64 note: If you want to, you can use HuffYVU64 instead of HuffYUV. Both the 32-bit and 64bit versions have the same file name of "huffyuv.inf". Honestly, I don't much understand why Huffyuv64 exists, as the older one works fine in the 64-bit OS.

^ lordsmurf Edit:
Huffyuv64 is for 64-bit software, such as MainConcept TotalCode. The 32-bit version does not work for MCTC. But if you install the 64-bit version to allow MCTC to see Huffyuv AVI files, then the 32-bit version ceases to function, meaning that VirtualDub can no longer use Huffyuv. It's a real catch-22 problem that I've not yet solved. Update: Read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post44169

Credits

You'll notice that similar methods have been posted at...
... although some of those threads have become quite cluttered, especially from folks that clearly didn't read the posted instructions about running DOS as an admin. I've tried to write my HuffYUV installation instructions much clearer and with more details for both seasoned computer users and novices alike.

Hope that helps!

NOTE: Common misspellings, to aid those in searching for instructions on installing HuffYUV in Windows 64: huffyvu, huffuvy, huff yuv, huffy uv, huffman yuv, hufyuv, hufyvu --- ya gotta spell correctly if you want Google or internal site searches to give you the proper results!!!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: bigkazzyry (06-23-2019), BruceOlsen (12-22-2019), edumarrom (04-20-2022), JPMedia (10-10-2019)
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Free Member

Salami, Salami, Bologna...

Aware that I'm a little late to the party- and in addition, too embarrassed to detail how much trouble it was to (self-)solve the file path + file extension personal enigma, but it appears I can finally fire this up now. Whew!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg huffYUV.jpg (32.3 KB, 304 downloads)
04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

So what was your fix?

04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Free Member

...Like I was hinting at, my install woes had to do with my own particular file path + file extension. I typed exactly what the admin instructed to...But the install file was in a sub-folder of the C: drive, not directly situated on it. (Oops-) I was not able to unpack the file with WinRAR, so I tried (successfully) with 7-zip...I believe my file extension was then '.dll', not '.inf'?
Not sure if I expressed that correctly, but I think that's what's had me very puzzled.

Embarrassed- yes!
Appreciative- yes!

Encouraged, I even installed this AC3Filter package http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter/releases that the admin once recommended to a member here over the AC3 audio package that VirtualDub endorses. That cooperated, too.

Even figured out how to adjust the output frame height (resize filter)- so no more "Silly Putty" video files.

Not so bad for a DOS dunce?

Last edited by dyfan; 04-27-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: addtional material.
04-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

So you're saying that you're now able to play AC3 in VirtualDub, on a Windows Vista 64 (or Win7 64) system, because you added the AC3filter using this same method of manually registering the DLL?

04-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Free Member

Yes...Is this a good thing?
06-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyfan View Post
Yes...Is this a good thing?
If you did what I think you're saying, then yes, a good thing!

How did you install the AC3 filter? I have some Vista machines that cannot play/preview AC3 audio in VirtualDub 1.9.7.
I simply get an error message that

PHP Code:
No audio decompressor could be found to decompress
the source audio format
(
source format tag2000
... and I'm out of luck if I need to hear audio playback.

You're saying you use Windows Vista 64 and don't have this issue, because you've used this same HuffYUV install method on one of the AC3Filter files? If so, which one, and can you expand on what you did?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
06-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Free Member

I couldn't use WinRAR to successfully perform an AC3 filter install...I'd asked for help in an VirtualDub thread (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...80.html?t=2080), you moved me here and replied:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...html#post11303

With 7-zip, I used the same steps in the guide you outlined in post #3 (above) to download and install the AC3 filter from here (related detail left in post #7, above):

http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter/releases

I used version 1.63b.

You're requesting I expand on what I did? Har!

1. I tirelessly used the "search" function here
2. Read LOTS of your replies to member problems in threads
3. Followed all the instructions I could find that you'd posted- littered all over this forum!

('Editor, heal thyself.')

Hope this helps you, I really mean that!
And you didn't have to wait 2 months for a reply to your question, either...good deal!
06-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Yeah, it's not working for me. It's not a priority, just a minor nuisance on those two workstations.
Might try again in two more months. Not sure what the issue is.

06-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
This is how to install HuffYUV on Windows Vista 64 or Windows 7 64:
Hi there, I've tried this and checked that Huffyuv is correctly installed but it still does not show up in VirtualDub under compression settings. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and have a feeling the codec may be blocked? Help is much appreciated.

EDIT: No worries, I've fixed the problem! I downloaded Huffyuv 64 bit and installed it in system32 instead of syswow64. It works now, yesss

Last edited by chemzed; 06-26-2010 at 03:51 PM.
The following users thank chemzed for this useful post: admin (06-26-2010)
06-26-2010, 11:40 PM

Thanks much for sharing your fix.

That's interesting. I might try that, to address my own issue with the AC3 codec in VirtualDub (which I still can't get working).
My HuffYUV codecs are all fine.

07-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Free Member

i did everything you said and it said Installation Failed I am running Windows 7 64 bit PLEASSE HHEELP FAST
07-07-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrix300 View Post
i did everything you said and it said Installation Failed I am running Windows 7 64 bit PLEASSE HHEELP FAST
The most common issue is forgetting to install it as admin. Re-read the instructions carefully and slowly on more time, then try again.
Refer back to Step 2, #3:
"If you've done it correctly, then the little black DOS box will say "Administrator: Command Prompt" in the on-screen text."

That usually does it. (Don't worry, even I've forgotten the admin part, when I was in a rush.)

Another issue is having too many spaces, or misspelling one of the DOS commands. Go slowly.

07-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Thanks much for sharing your fix.

That's interesting. I might try that, to address my own issue with the AC3 codec in VirtualDub (which I still can't get working).
My HuffYUV codecs are all fine.
I use a program called AC3Filter by Alexander
Vigovsky, this one is ac3filter_1_63b.exe.
I am using Vista 64 and it makes
Virtualdub work.
If you try it perhaps you can learn enough about it
to share which settings are best for it.
07-08-2010, 12:03 AM

That's the one I generally use, too. Neither Vista 64 system plays AC3, however. I've run through 2-3 AC3 options, but still getting nothing successful.

I'm giving up on one of those computers. The Vista 64 install is going to be upgraded to Windows 7 64 within the next 72 hours here. It has 2-3 issues that I'm starting to think are OS related.

I still need to figure out the Vista/VirtualDub/AC3 issue, however. The other system is locked at Vista64, because of what it is and what it does. I'm not upgrading it, for fear of screwing up some important functions. But it encodes in VirtualDub less often, so not a critical issue.

Thanks for your input. I wish it was as easy as that.

01-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Free Member

.... *badmood*

hello everyone... i tried this fix to install huffyuv on my win 7 64 bit os.... i used admin rights in the dos box... followed all steps...
if i try install the codec this way no error is shown in the dos box... a little "popup" window apears for half a second so i cant read it but i asume my os tells me there that it copies the file... but not sure... but the codec still doesnt work cant use it in bmp2avi or in virtual dub... with this problem not fixed i will not be able to use my old video scenes i made with huffyuv some years ago using windows xp 32 bit... i dont get whats wrong... i still need help with this issue ....
04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Free Member

Hello

I send you this PM cuz' even after your topic and re-tryed few time, HuffYUV doesn't work.
When I do the install's command it says
" couldn't copy the .dll to its destination's place ".

Help?

I tried with my ownz files dled from other website,
when I did the first command on console it says nothing, and it only bugged with the second command and the dll.
After I dled the huffyuv64 and the huffyuv normal ( http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...lters-pre.html ) it added on console's 1's command a message error and with the second command an error with .dll PLUS .inf
With multithread it did no error message with the first command but with the 2nd command still put both message error ( inf+dll)
What should I do?
I got W#7 64bits.
Have I to put something in Syswow64 ?
Have I to run installing stuff or idk what with admin right?
Bye & thanks
PS : I'm new

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

04-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Have I to run installing stuff or idk what with admin right?
Yes, you'll need admin rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech666 View Post
a little "popup" window apears for half a second so i cant read it but i asume my os tells me there that it copies the file... but not sure... .
Unfortunately, the only way to troubleshoot is to know what the error message says -- or confirmation message, if that's the case. You may have to resort to video-taping the screen, either with a camera pointed at the monitor, or by use screen capture software.

I've had to do this myself, for a Windows pre-BSOD message. Camera aimed at screen.