digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Edit Video, Audio (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-editing/)
-   -   Problem combining AVI HEVC files, Direct Stream Copy not working? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-editing/10401-problem-combining-avi.html)

Unicron129 02-29-2020 10:47 AM

Problem combining AVI HEVC files, Direct Stream Copy not working?

Hi there, I am using VirtualDub 2 to try to combine two files.

I captured using Lagarith and split up the scenes of my home movie and compressed with x265 simultaneously after.

Now I have two x265 compressed AVI files from different tapes that are of the same scene. I don't want to lose any quality, but I am running into this error message when trying to create a direct stream copy:

"Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream. You may want to select different input driver."

I tried changing the open file setting to interleave, but I received the same error.

Any idea how I can join these two files? I only have the x265 files to work with. Thank you for your help.

josem84 02-29-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unicron129 (Post 67044)
Hi there, I am using VirtualDub 2 to try to combine two files.

I captured using Lagarith and split up the scenes of my home movie and compressed with x265 simultaneously after.

Now I have two x265 compressed AVI files from different tapes that are of the same scene. I don't want to lose any quality, but I am running into this error message when trying to create a direct stream copy:

"Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream. You may want to select different input driver."

I tried changing the open file setting to interleave, but I received the same error.

Any idea how I can join these two files? I only have the x265 files to work with. Thank you for your help.

You can use concat in ffmpeg to concatenate multiple files. You can also use Avidemux to the same thing. Make sure the video properties from both files are exactly the same (frame size, video/audio codecs...). Make sure those codecs are supported by the chosen container format. Why do you use avi for h265 video streams instead of mp4 or mkv?

Unicron129 02-29-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josem84 (Post 67045)
You can use concat in ffmpeg to concatenate multiple files. You can also use Avidemux to the same thing. Make sure the video properties from both files are exactly the same (frame size, video/audio codecs...). Make sure those codecs are supported by the chosen container format. Why do you use avi for h265 video streams instead of mp4 or mkv?

Honestly, I only used AVI because that was the output from the x265 codec on VD2. Any downsides to that?

To confirm that I joined the videos correctly, in Avidemux my settings were:

Video Decoder: Lavcodec DXVA2
Video Output: Copy
Audio Output: Copy
Output Format: AVI Muxer

My joined file was 220,438,440 bytes vs the two original files were 220,161,736 bytes.

Would the above indicate that I lost no quality in the joining of the two videos? Thanks so much for your help!

lordsmurf 03-04-2020 06:45 AM

VirtualDub cannot stream copy H264/5 files.